Sponsored

So, What's The Consensus On The 10 Speed

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Plus some of these tuners should have the A10 figured out soon. Lund and others did great things with the A6.....we'll see what they can do with the A10.
For those of you who have actually owned Mustang A10's long enough to figure out all the various "what happens when" characteristics what would you "improve" in the tuning of the transmission/ecu interaction and why would you want a change?

Mine behaved very well in D and S, with or without paddles,during break-in and now that I'm willing to run the engine to the rev limiter it seems to also do very well compared to real world manual trans driving and even compared to the dog ring manual in the FF race car I drove for 20 years.
Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
For those of you who have actually owned Mustang A10's long enough to figure out all the various "what happens when" characteristics what would you "improve" in the tuning of the transmission/ecu interaction and why would you want a change?

Mine behaved very well in D and S, with or without paddles,during break-in and now that I'm willing to run the engine to the rev limiter it seems to also do very well compared to real world manual trans driving and even compared to the dog ring manual in the FF race car I drove for 20 years.
1200 miles on the A10 GT and I have no complaints. It is no DCT so I don't expect it to behave as such. However, when i push the gas pedal while cruising, the car downshifts from 10 to 8 or 6 very quickly and accelerates with authority. The upshifts are fast and crisp and when using paddle, the upshifts are almost instantaneous which is very surprising for a torque converter auto.

I have had a really bad experience with my 2010 G37 Sedan with a 7 speed auto. That thing does not like to downshift unless I am about 1/3 of the way into the throttle. This made the 328hp car feel very slow, lethargic, and it was only fun to drive if I was revving the engine above 4k using the paddle shifters. The A10 on the GT compared to the 7 speed is a night and day difference for me. It is quick to respond to throttle input given I am driving in normal mode mostly. In Sport+ mode or when pulling the gear lever into S, the transmission becomes even more responsive and holds gear longer.

In normal mode under normal acceleration, the car shifts from 1-3-5-7-9 and 10. Very smooth and no clunking at all. In sport+ or when pulling the gear to S, the shift go 1-2-3- etc and hold on longer. I have no complaints and I am sure tuners will program this thing to shift even better in the near future.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I see people post things along the lines of wishing/wanting a DC instead of the current 10 speed. Could someone enlighten me as to why? In testing, didn’t this 10-speed torque converter outperform the heralded Porsche PDK in shift times? What would be the benefit?

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
I'm a manual-only guy but I do have a question. I can see that this time around the trans responds quickly to paddle inputs (can anyone else confirm this?), but does it also rev-match for you on downshifts? If so, how good of a job does it do?

I drove a 6A GT way back in 2014 and can't really remember if it rev-matched or not.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I see people post things along the lines of wishing/wanting a DC instead of the current 10 speed. Could someone enlighten me as to why? In testing, didn’t this 10-speed torque converter outperform the heralded Porsche PDK in shift times? What would be the benefit?
I really like the A10. It is super fast in upshifts and rev matches really well on the downshifts. I have driven a couple of Audi's with their DCT and though it is a really nice unit, it does not do so well in stop and go driving. It feels clunky and not as smooth in shifts at slow speeds.

Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I really like the A10. It is super fast in upshifts and rev matches really well on the downshifts. I have driven a couple of Audi's with their DCT and though it is a really nice unit, it does not do so well in stop and go driving. It feels clunky and not as smooth in shifts at slow speeds.
That’s the impression I had with the BMW M2 and C43 AMG that I test drove. My dad’s Acura seems fine in stop and go traffic... but... Acura. :p

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I'm a manual-only guy but I do have a question. I can see that this time around the trans responds quickly to paddle inputs (can anyone else confirm this?), but does it also rev-match for you on downshifts? If so, how good of a job does it do?

I drove a 6A GT way back in 2014 and can't really remember if it rev-matched or not.
Yes it rev matches on downshifts. See this post for more observations from some public road dealing with traffic, ditches, trees, and speedlimits "testing" ;) today. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2140840&postcount=898

Reactions: QRK

robw_39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Did you try any mode besides normal? The sport, track and drag modes have nice firm shifts as well as rev matched downshifts, feels nothing like a cvt.
Yeah I am with you on this test drove 2 10r80 GT's and feels nothing like a CVT not even close... this is an amazing transmission and this is coming from someone that has never owned an automatic performance car ever and I had a lot... I am getting the 10r80 in my new 2018. From what I read this is the first ever automatic that ford put in a car / truck that has zero cast parts so it should hold up to lots of power more than the 6r80... and it is only 1/2 longer and 3 lbs heavier is all impressive. also anything that shifts 26 to 36% faster than the Porsche PPK is going to be good...

I get the "I prefer banging gears" argument I use to be in that camp but drive a few weeks in Atlanta traffic and get back to me on that one :) especially when you have an option like the 10r80..

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
^ That sure sounds nice!! oh, also like the shifts!!

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.....around town it's meh unless you have the shifter in the S mode......
So, you're complaining becauuuuuuuuse.......you're too lazy to put it in S mode???

I'm so confused. S mode is how you use the paddles, right?

Why would you drive around in any other setting?

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
So, you're complaining becauuuuuuuuse.......you're too lazy to put it in S mode???

I'm so confused. S mode is how you use the paddles, right?

Why would you drive around in any other setting?

S mode holds rpm longer, makes the car louder and shift harder. i'm an adult in my mid 40's and so is my wife and to us that's not always an enjoyable way to drive a car. just because a car has 460 hp doesn't mean it has to be obnoxious to drive around in when your not racing or driving in a performance oriented fashion.

Last edited:

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
S mode holds rpm longer, makes the car louder and shift harder. i'm an adult and so is my wife and that's not always an enjoyable way to drive a car. just because a car has 460 hp doesn't mean it has to be obnoxious to drive around in when your not racing or driving in a performance oriented fashion.
And I thought you are a menace, not an adult! Go figure...:crazy:

If you're driving around in an "adult" fashion, would you rather have a manual or an automatic that shifts "meh"?

I'm confused as well.
Sponsored