Sponsored

So, this is how AmericanMuscle ships shocks and struts???

OP
OP
GilmourD

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS - Ruby Red Metallic
just letting you know. if you are saying that AM should of never sent those in just a Koni Box......sorry to burst your bubble that is exactly how Koni ships their stuff out as well.

Matter of fact, that is how alot of people shipped their stuff. They wont re-package it.
Koni themselves ships heavy, pressurized tubes of metal in boxes that will never stand up to UPS's four-foot rule and no supporting material inside?
Sponsored

OP
OP
GilmourD

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS - Ruby Red Metallic
just letting you know. if you are saying that AM should of never sent those in just a Koni Box......sorry to burst your bubble that is exactly how Koni ships their stuff out as well.

Matter of fact, that is how alot of people shipped their stuff. They wont re-package it.
Koni themselves ships heavy, pressurized tubes of metal in boxes that will never stand up to UPS's four-foot rule and no supporting material inside?
I feel like I need to elaborate on my thoughts here...

Like I said in the OP, I spent 20 years in retail and retail-adjacent jobs. I'm also not new to the world of car parts, my brother having been a manager for AutoZone for several years and a mechanic afterwards. I've seen tons of products shipped to a store and there is a very clear delineation between what is a box meant for displaying on a shelf and a box meant to survive more than a drive home on the passenger seat.

I've certainly seen stuff with a label slapped on it without an outer box. Heck, I received a box of 3D printer filament from Amazon like that just last week.

However, and I think this is the part that bares stressing, even the filament came in a box that used a significantly thicker cardboard, was tightly packed in the box so that it had no chance of shifting, and was properly taped up to prevent opening.

There is absolutely no way that the boxes these shocks and struts came in were designed nor prepared for shipping without an outer box.
  • super thin corrugated cardboard
  • no foam, molded paper pulp, cardboard, or plastic in the box to hold shocks and struts
  • The ends clearly had packing tape slapped on them, and one seems to have not and was taped closed after the fact with the flap on the outside of the box
  • the strut boxes had the sides held closed with a single piece of Scotch tape each
  • small parts (bags with nuts, washers, and whatnot) were not secured at all inside the box
Like I said... I HATE FedEx. They have screwed up at least 80% of every shipment that I've had no choice but to receive via their... I guess we can call them "services". Everything ranging from misrouting packages for days and weeks, absolutely thrashing packages, straight-up losing packages, or driving past my house while I'm literally sitting on my porch and saying they couldn't deliver since they didn't have my gate code (hint: I don't have a gate nor its requisite code). But I can't blame them for poor packaging.

There's a reason that PC system integrators have been using expanding foam when shipping PCs with heavy graphics cards and heatsinks since you don't want stuff flopping around or breaking off in transit. There's even guides on how to do that yourself if you're moving or shipping something. That would be mostly overkill for most car parts, but there should still be some level of care for shipping.

1712669849310-6k.png