Sponsored

So the dealer just called me

Pulpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black GT
Somebody in a truck just put a huge dent in the front bumper of the new car I was to pick up on Friday. They said it might take a few extra days to repair. Good thing for me they ordered two identical cars, the other car has 90 miles on it so I chose the other one because it had 5 miles. Certainly don’t want a repainted front bumper so accepting the 90 mile car....jeez what luck and I don’t even have it yet.
Sponsored

FlowForm_Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hrewheels.com
First Name
HRE Wheels
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Somebody in a truck just put a huge dent in the front bumper of the new car I was to pick up on Friday. They said it might take a few extra days to repair. Good thing for me they ordered two identical cars, the other car has 90 miles on it so I chose the other one because it had 5 miles. Certainly don’t want a repainted front bumper so accepting the 90 mile car....jeez what luck and I don’t even have it yet.
Wow, lucky that the dealer had an identical car to provide for you. Would have done the same and swapped to the other car as well even despite the mileage. Better to get a car without damage before you accept it :thumbsup:

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
If they didn’t have a replacement I’d want a huge discount and/or a completely new oem bumper. No way in hell would I buy a new car with bodywork done to it.

Last edited:

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
^And more than likely, you would not get it. It's easier for the dealer to repair it under their roof and sell it off as new. Imports coming over with shipping damage get repainted at the port or at receiving dealer and sold just like any other new vehicle. Nothing to prevent the dealer from keeping it under the table and you know they would.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
^And more than likely, you would not get it. It's easier for the dealer to repair it under their roof and sell it off as new. Imports coming over with shipping damage get repainted at the port or at receiving dealer and sold just like any other new vehicle. Nothing to prevent the dealer from keeping it under the table and you know they would.
You’re absolutely right, I would not get it, by my choosing. :p
BTW - the dealership would be taking a huge risk by attempting to sell while knowingly refusing disclosure of the bodywork, like... huge. We’re not talking imperfections in the paint/clearcoat from shipping being fixed, we’re talking full on bodywork.
Also, the dealership’s insurance would actually cover the costs of the repairs. Let’s think about it as a dealership, would you want to immediately sell the damaged goods that your company’s insurance paid to repair while still pulling a profit, or would you want to hold on to it and attempt to withhold info from a future customer in hopes of getting him to buy it at full msrp and risk your reputation and other potential repercussions if/when that customer finds out there was body work done on site what was supposed to be a new car and the info was willfully withheld?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
As thin as the paint is, a repaint on the front might not be so bad.

It seems to me that they can’t sell as new if it has been painted....

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
As thin as the paint is, a repaint on the front might not be so bad.

It seems to me that they can’t sell as new if it has been painted....
They absolutely can. Happens all the time. Some are repaired before they even leave the factory. Not saying if that’s right or wrong.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
would they actually paint/repair or just replace the bumper with a new one?
I know paint from batch to batch can be slightly different but with the car so new, would they even need to blend?

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
New bumper good paint job and a fair discount for the inconvenience, maybe ceramic paint protection, what's the problem ? :shrug:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Between manufacturing damage, rail damage and trucking damage....You'd be shocked If you really knew how many cars we think are undamaged were actually repaired to some degree or another.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Have them swap the bumper between the two and take the 5 mile one.

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
No way in hell would I buy a new car with bodywork done to it.
You might have, and not even known it.

They absolutely can. Happens all the time. Some are repaired before they even leave the factory. Not saying if that’s right or wrong.
Yep. The trucking companies run their own regional body shops, to repair vehicles damaged in transport. There are no requirements for them to notify either the manufacturer nor the dealer, when this happens. The only hint that it might have even happened, is a slightly longer transport/trucking time due to the "detour" to their body shop.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Eh, I would have taken the bumper repaint (since the paint on these cars is AWFUL thin and a repaint will likely be thicker) and asked for an extra $1K buck-a-roos off or a free extended warranty or something like that.

70monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT
The paint on my rear bumper of my 14 GT was damaged during cleanup the day I bought it. The dealer gave me the option of backing out of the deal but I decided to keep it and have it repaired.

Since the dealer didn't have their own body shop, they contracted with a local BS. After the repair, you couldn't tell it had been repaired and the paint all matched(Sterling Gray Metallic) between the bumper and the rear quarters. Almost five years later, the paint still looks great and is still uniform in color.
Sponsored