Sponsored

So my fancy American Muscle Billet oil cap removed itself from my car tonight

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
You know what they say about honey? I've been cool and chill, and AM stepped up. They're giving me a credit towards getting a new set of cover covers, and will send me another billet oil cap.

Both are on backorder, so they won't be here for a while, but the gesture is still appreciated.

I however, will not install that oil cap until I can find an o-ring that makes it fit significantly tighter than how it comes and I'll watch it like a hawk.

Thanks for all the help and support AM and those on the forum, and if you buy one of those modern muscle billet oil caps, keep your eyes peeled.
You could keep the OEM cap on the car for regular use and switch to the chrome one for shows. No mess and no stress.
Sponsored

Beef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 S550 GT
Glad to hear AM stepping up as usual..... they have helped me out twice so far.

Blacktop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I just had this same thing happen with the factory cap on my 2017 GT. I was like man this guy in front of me is burning oil. Two lights later with nobody around me I say wait its my car smelling like that. Open the hood to find the factory cap sitting next to the engine. Oil all over the engine. I think i'm going to safety-wire the cap so it doesn't happen again. Cap seems to fit snug to.

srf52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
I'd also check the condition of the inside locking tabs. While the o-ring certainly provides an oil seal and torque to help against vibration, I believe its the tabs and corresponding groove on the cap that secure it. YMMV...
001.JPG
002.JPG

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
They should just make a billet cap that covers the stock one. After reading this I would not dare purchase that item.

Sponsored

brave21wr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base
I made the same mistake eagerly topping off my brand new GT. Filled up with oil and closed the hood without putting the oil cap back on.

Luckily I checked the level again at home and noticed everything extra "shiny" and saw that the cap was sitting on top of the intake manifold.

Worst feeling ever.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Well, this just made my decision easy to hang on to my OEM oil cap.

This really sucks, I'm sorry. The cleanup is probably one of the worst parts.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible

Zolstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red Premium GT
i just added a strip of 3m tape, out of view, securing tje cap to the valve cover preventing it from loosening. FYI.....the washer fluid cap might contact the body causing a rattling noise which will sound like a dash rattle. Fixed that issue with a little rubber bumper.
Sponsored