19GT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, 2015 4C, 2019 Ducati, 2008 FJ
Vehicle Showcase
P-cars. Where car enthusiasts go to die...haha, j/k. I have my sights set on a GT3 (hopefully sooner than later) but won't be giving up either the 'R' or 4C. I think many of us would like to get your feedback at some point down the road. I"m personally interested to see if you get buyer's/seller's remorse with the move. Enjoy!

OP
OP

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
I’ve barely had a chance to wring the 911T out but I have a few immediate observations about how it contrasts to the GT350R.

Seats: I’m 6’4” and 220lbs with a 34” inseam. I thought I fit in the GT350R. I did not. The Porsche carbon fiber buckets feel like I’m back in the womb. Best seats I’ve ever experienced in any car ever, no question. The GT350R Recaros are fantastic, but at my size I sit on them instead of in them.

Sound: The 911T sounds like an asthma sufferer breathing through a Capri Sun straw. Once in a while the engine load matches with the RPM and throttle position and gear and it sounds great, but mostly it does not. I am putting an aftermarket exhaust on it eventually, but even then it’ll be good, not great. The GT350R is the best sounding American car every made. Period.

Size: The biggest difference in regular driving is the size of the greenhouse and the cabin. The Mustang is bigger on the inside, and feels even bigger due to the smaller greenhouse (I can only imagine what a Camaro feels like to drive). The 911 feels more like I’m strapping on a backpack. The 911’s relative view out of the greenhouse, and the lower seating position, makes it feel faster at all speeds.

Shifter: The 991.1 was panned for its shifter, but the 991.2 is supposed to be an improvement. I actually think the 991.2 shifter is damn good, but not as good as the GT350 with an MGW shifter. I don’t recall what the stock shifter felt like.

Speed: The 911 turbo boost is apparent at lower RPM, especially driving at normalish speeds. It is torquier most of the time. At speed, hypothetically at 120mph+, the 911 would feel like cutting through the air without drama. The GT350R is drama at idle and 120mps+. I miss the drama a bit. The GT350R is clearly the faster car in most instances.

Interior: The Carrera T has the most basic interior any post-996 911 has ever had. It is still vastly better than the GT350. I did the redline interior upgrade in my 2016 which was great (and now for sale!) but it’s not even in the same universe.

Steering: 991.2 wins hands-down. Porsche figured out electronic steering. Is it BMW 1M caliber? No, but revolutionary.

Brakes: Carrera T gets the base Carrera brakes. The GT350 brakes are superior. The difference isn’t that noticeable given the ~500lb difference in the weight between the cars, but by all accounts the T brakes are the limiting factor on the track. Not so with the GT350.

Feel: It’s so subjective, but the 911 is lithe, nimble, “chuckable” and just rotates like a damn compass. The GT350R is the most nimble Mustang ever, but the weight and “push” in hard turns is real.

One is not superior to the other. They’re both amazing machines. I am glad to have had the GT350R experience. I am glad to have the 911 experience. And because I wanted a new experience, I am happy with my choice.

Last edited:

19GT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, 2015 4C, 2019 Ducati, 2008 FJ
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve barely had a chance to wring the 911T out but I have a few immediate observations about how it contrasts to the GT350R.

Seats: I’m 6’4” and 220lbs with a 34” inseam. I thought I fit in the GT350R. I did not. The Porsche carbon fiber buckets feel like I’m back in the womb. Best seats ‘”ve ever experienced in any car ever, no question. The GT350R Recaros are fantastic, but at my size I sit on them instead of in them.

Sound: The 911T sound like an asthma sufferer breathing through a Capri Sun straw. Once in a while the engine load matches with the RPM and throttle position and gear and it sounds great, but mostly it does not. I am putting an aftermarket exhaust on it eventually, but even then it’ll be good, not great. The GT350R is the best sounding American car every made. Period.

Size: The biggest difference in regular driving is the size of the greenhouse and the cabin. The Mustang is bigger on the inside, and feels even bigger due to the smaller greenhouse (I can only imagine what a Camaro feels like to drive). The 911 feels more like I’m strapping on a backpack. The 911’s relative view out of the greenhouse, and the lower seating position, makes it feel faster at all speeds.

Shifter: The 991.1 was panned for its shifter, but the 991.2 is supposed to be an improvement. I actually think the 991.2 shifter is damn good, but not as good as the GT350 with an MGW shifter. I don’t recall what the stock shifter felt like.

Speed: The 911 turbo boost is apparent at lower RPM, especially driving at normalish speeds. It is torquier most of the time. At speed, hypothetically at 120mph+, the 911 would feel like cutting through the air without drama. The GT350R is drama at idle and 120mps+. I miss the drama a bit. The GT350R is clearly the faster car in most instances.

Interior: The Carrera T has the most basic interior any post-996 911 has ever had. It is still vastly better than the GT350. I did the redline interior upgrade in my 2016 which was great (and now for sale!) but it’s not even in the same universe.

Steering: 991.2 wins hands-down. Porsche figured out electronic steering. Is it BMW 1M caliber? No, but revolutionary.

Brakes: Carrera T gets the base Carrera brakes. The GT350 brakes are superior. The difference isn’t that noticeable given the ~500lb difference in the weight between the cars, but by all accounts the T brakes are the limiting factor on the track. Not so with the GT350.

Feel: It’s so subjective, but the 911 is lithe, nimble, “chuckable” and just rotates like a damn compass. The GT350R is the most nimble Mustang ever, but the weight and “push” in hard turns is real.

One is not superior to the other. They’re both amazing machines. I am glad to have had the GT350R experience. I am glad to have the 911 experience. And because I wanted a new experience, I am happy with my choice.
Great write up on your experience between the two VERY different cars. Hope you keep enjoying it!

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
Waiting on my GT4 to arrive.... the GT350 was fun-but looking fwd to the next chapter also.

Sponsored

TXAG96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21Bronco,'20Bullitt,'01Boxster,'87Tbird-Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
this is why I'm keeping my little 20 year old Boxster in the collection.
While an accord or kia can basically beat down the street, its that "flickable" factor that cannot be beat.
I just purchased my first Mustang (Bullitt) and while the power and handling are great, I can feel the weight in corners and you have to know what you're doing, otherwise its the ditch.

I wonder what the mustang would be like with a transaxle? 😁

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I sold my 997.2S and bought a Mustang GT. I was very concerned with the potential expense of replacing the PDK and with bore scoring. The size and weight are the biggest differences I noticed, as well. I think a 991.2 is an excellent choice because the 9A2 engine pretty much eliminates the possibility of bore scoring and the transmission has been improved.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I sold my 997.2S and bought a Mustang GT. I was very concerned with the potential expense of replacing the PDK and with bore scoring. The size and weight are the biggest differences I noticed, as well. I think a 991.2 is an excellent choice because the 9A2 engine pretty much eliminates the possibility of bore scoring and the transmission has been improved.
I think every high performance car has potential issues and Porsche has had their share. You make a good point about weight different ~600 lbs. Right now I am enjoying the Mustang as its an excellent modern muscle car but I hope to get back into the Porsche world one day.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I think every high performance car has potential issues and Porsche has had their share. You make a good point about weight different ~600 lbs. Right now I am enjoying the Mustang as its an excellent modern muscle car but I hope to get back into the Porsche world one day.
I really miss my Porsche and there isn't a day that I don't wonder if I made the right decision. But, the potential of a $20k transmission replacement and $40k engine rebuild, were more than I could justify. Even though the probability was low, there were just too many red flags.
Sponsored