Sponsored

So I noticed a lot of people doing springs only on this platform...

Digital_Synapse

Mass Effect Field Expert
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT PP
So I noticed a lot of people doing springs only on this platform. Is the performance of the dampers that much on these new cars where it is ok to just change out the springs? On my S197, the dampers were barely adequate to control the stock springs. With the Sportlines on factory dampers it was bouncy as hell. No way they compared to the ride with Sportlines and Koni Yellows, even at full soft. It just seems like a bad idea to only change ride travel and rates and leave that uncompensated. I looked through here and a few other forums, haven't seen anything about it. Now I know everyone has different tolerance and preferences, but it isn't a matter of opinion. If the spring has too high of a rate for the dampers, the ride will not be controlled. There are specific pairings that need to be made...aren't there?

The ride on Sportlines and Yellows was not "firm" at all in my last car. It was actually controlled and more comfortable than factory setup, and there was no roll nor dip that was noticeable. Aside from coilovers, are there any companies that are upgrading dampers as well as springs? I would like the ride height of the Pro-Kit or Sportlines, but a better ride than stock, as it is still too bouncy and firm with the performance pack.

Any input would be appreciated.
Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
only struts out are ford racing and vikings, havent seen any others.

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
only struts out are ford racing and vikings, havent seen any others.
+1

Not alot of options right now...but Coilovers are probably a better option.

Several coming out now KW V1 / V3, BC, RideTech, aFe, Cortex

MELLOWYELLOW06

MELLOW 2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
I have to believe the reasoning was more due to availability, or lack thereof, of parts available when our cars came out.

Parts, lots of parts are slowly but surely coming in and I have to believe that though many thought SEMA 2014 was the year for the S550, in actuality, it will be this year. Car came out too late last year to really see anything from mfgs. This year should be golden though!

POOPonYOU

I Do Stupid Well
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
When is SEMA?

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
So I noticed a lot of people doing springs only on this platform. Is the performance of the dampers that much on these new cars where it is ok to just change out the springs? On my S197, the dampers were barely adequate to control the stock springs. With the Sportlines on factory dampers it was bouncy as hell. No way they compared to the ride with Sportlines and Koni Yellows, even at full soft. It just seems like a bad idea to only change ride travel and rates and leave that uncompensated. I looked through here and a few other forums, haven't seen anything about it. Now I know everyone has different tolerance and preferences, but it isn't a matter of opinion. If the spring has too high of a rate for the dampers, the ride will not be controlled. There are specific pairings that need to be made...aren't there?

The ride on Sportlines and Yellows was not "firm" at all in my last car. It was actually controlled and more comfortable than factory setup, and there was no roll nor dip that was noticeable. Aside from coilovers, are there any companies that are upgrading dampers as well as springs? I would like the ride height of the Pro-Kit or Sportlines, but a better ride than stock, as it is still too bouncy and firm with the performance pack.

Any input would be appreciated.
Steeda is currently working on their shocks and struts. I have not heard an ETA but hopefully end of year or first of 2016. My guess will be in 2015.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
OP, this one of the main reasons we offer our SP080 Performance Springs. They are basically a mild drop version of the OEM GT PP Springs.

They are not much stiffer than OEM PP rates, and they do not provide a drop drastic enough to cause premature damper failure. ;)

On that note, our handling specific springs which we are going to be offering in a few weeks, those are designed with an aftermarket damper in mind, as they are much stiffer than OEM Springs, and will ride horribly (In my opinion...) with OEM Dampers.

Sponsored

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
Or go with the air lift kit ;)

Rv-Junke

Rv-Junke
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black GT - PP
Mine is still at dealer due to the Bouncy ride. I am refusing to accept the ride, nor add new stuff to make it better. If Ford ponies up, no pun intended to change springs, and dampers I'm good with that. The Car should not be bouncy, stiff or firm yes, bouncy to where it never settles no way!

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
There are a few choices in the Coilover category, talked with Ryan over at Ridetech for a bit yesterday and I'd like to get my hands on their adjustable coilovers. Also, we run Airlift on 2 cars and love it, very easy to manage, install is actually a bit easier on the S550 although its still a good 10 hours since we take our time.

Only spring I'd really run is BMR, we've installed a couple sets here and the drop is right on with a very comfortable ride.
Sponsored