Sponsored

Snapped crank: Stage 2 Procharger

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
How would there not be extra stress when you add an extesnion further out from the stock pulley with a belt pulling sideways on it?
Its no different then the stock tensioner pulling against the crank,it is a little added weight but the pc pulley is not connected to the crank like on some cars wheir they are drilled and keyed or dow pinned to the crank.The pc pulley actually put the rotational force on the stock dampener.Their is added stress but its not made out to be what everones making it to be.Another plus is the pc tensioner is on the opposite side of the stock tensioner.Not sure if the cam loc design tensioner was used on the 2011 to 2014 models,but i rather have this then some of the other designs i seen.Also even though u are not adding another pulley wche paxton/vortec u are adding addotional rotating mass with them blowers.If i see failures on the 2015's not install failures lol,i be the first to admit my loss of confidence in my kit.
Sponsored

Slamdcoop0428

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium auto
Its no different then the stock tensioner pulling against the crank,it is a little added weight but the pc pulley is not connected to the crank like on some cars wheir they are drilled and keyed or dow pinned to the crank.The pc pulley actually put the rotational force on the stock dampener.Their is added stress but its not made out to be what everones making it to be.Another plus is the pc tensioner is on the opposite side of the stock tensioner.Not sure if the cam loc design tensioner was used on the 2011 to 2014 models,but i rather have this then some of the other designs i seen.Also even though u are not adding another pulley wche paxton/vortec u are adding addotional rotating mass with them blowers.If i see failures on the 2015's not install failures lol,i be the first to admit my loss of confidence in my kit.
Im not talking about extra weight being the issue. Its the sideways pulling force that is out further than the actual crank itself. The factory tensioner is pulling on the crank yes, but at a point that it is back behind the front of the crank. The procharger pulley is connected to the factory dampener with a longer crank bolt, basically making them one. The cam locks are just there to keep it from spinning. Has nothing to do with how its tightened down to the factory crank pulley. Yes the 2011-14 cars had the cam lock design when i had mine.

OP
OP
MyLilPony

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
A little drama (not LS1tech drama) is what this sight needs as long as its not disrespectful, shame posting videos of street encounters are frowned upon.
Its all in jest and fun. If someone seriously gets mad at this penis sizing contest they need to evaluate whether or not they are grown up enough to be on the forum.

I have no problem raping someone like GuyGordon at every opportunity though...that F'er needs to get ran over by a viper...(reference to the latest CC accident if you haven't seen it yet)

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one lol.Yes u are right they pulley is futher out and thats why its critical to get the belt tension right.As far as the cam locs yes they do keep the pc pulley from spinning but also keep all the rotational pull from the blower on the stock dampner not the crank bolt.Being balanced is one of the most critical things,as long as their is no added vibration or harmonics that extra pulley will not cause problems like we seen in either of them post.I know guys on here that have the stage 2 system for almost 3 years and nothing like that has happened,to wheir if that pulley was putting that much stress on the crank i think we would see at least more failures like this.The cam locs domore then just keep the pc pulley from spinning is my main point.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
I cant see the "sideways pulling" theory either, you cant be pulling on the crank when the crank is the driving force. Maybe if you connected an electric motor to the blower to the point where you were motoring the crank.

Sponsored

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
I cant see the "sideways pulling" theory either, you cant be pulling on the crank when the crank is the driving force. Maybe if you connected an electric motor to the blower to the point where you were motoring the crank.
Sideways pulling is just from the belt tension, and just like a basic lever concept is exponentially increased the further out from the fulcrum you push or pull.

There's also the inertia of the blower which wants to keep spinning even after you let off the throttle and the crank pulley becomes a brake to slow it back down.

Slamdcoop0428

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium auto
Im not mad but i cant speak for mylittlepony. That guy lost his shit yesterday lol

Cars and shit talking and discussions/arguments are what make it fun.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Sideways pulling is just from the belt tension, and just like a basic lever concept is exponentially increased the further out from the fulcrum you push or pull.

There's also the inertia of the blower which wants to keep spinning even after you let off the throttle and the crank pulley becomes a brake to slow it back down.
On deceleration it makes a bit more sense, but applies to all blowers. Regardless, it isn't a cog belt setup so there's slip in those situations.

OP
OP
MyLilPony

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
I am not going to read 6 pages of this thread...

But, can add this....

I have only seen a handful of S197 crank failures.
ALL of them seem to have ATI balancers, and had OPGs installed, etc.

I have NOT seen any S550 failures that I am aware of.
And I have NOT seen any failures on either platform when using our stock crank pulley.

I am not pointing fingers at ATI.
I am not pointing fingers at installation.

I am merely stating the two common things I have seen with the very few failures. But what I can say is this.....

As bad as it sucks, I bet it accounts for .001% of the number of blowers out there. Honestly SBF's broke cranks off for years with big power. Its very well known with Fords that if you are pushing the edge to use a crank support with a blower. (and has been known since about 1995 lol) My personal 351W powered car has a crank support on it, just cause.

Procharger did it right with the stage 1 kit for the s550 and should of just designed it like vortech did with being able to add an 8 rib kit while using the stock tensioner.
I haven't seen a single failure on an S550.
And again, even on the S197 its pretty dang rare.

Its way way way way more common to have an OPG failure, or rings butt.
To be honest.

Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Just a question guys that all,but i thought ati and procharger were one in the same,or was that back in the day.Or maybe im going on not enough sleep again lol.also are crank supports even offered with this platform,with not knowing what is considered big power?

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Just a question guys that all,but i thought ati and procharger were one in the same,or was that back in the day.Or maybe im going on not enough sleep again lol.also are crank supports even offered with this platform,with not knowing what is considered big power?
ATI balancers=automatic transmission inc

ATI Procharger=accessible technologies inc

Diff companies.

I'm not aware of anyone making crank supports for the coyote yet.

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Just a question guys that all,but i thought ati and procharger were one in the same,or was that back in the day.Or maybe im going on not enough sleep again lol.
We have never been the same, never been located anywhere close. :)
Not related other then being in the same industry.

ATI Performance Products = Dampers / Transmissions, and located in NJ.

Accessible Technologies Inc = ProCharger, located in KS.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha and i know when on the 8rib and using the ati balancer u have to use their pulley too.So i guess the next question is if we want to upgrade our balancer what do we do,or is the stock one that good.From what ive seen so far im a little skeptical about changing my stock dampner,but the subject is so touchy no one,well no vendors want to give an opnion.And i am in no way trying to start another big debate!!!.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
I've seen a TT 11-14 snap the crank too.
Sponsored