TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Don't want to hijack your thread, but I have the Black Accent Package 19x8.5's on my 2022 base GT and your thread is helpful as I'm still in the phase of considering whether to keep the wheels or not. I ordered them thinking they're a great deal for factory 19's on the car, but after seeing them, they are pretty low-key, pretty mild fitment, and I think if I lower the car, they'll look awkwardly skinny unless I put on spacers, and I'm not convinced about the safety of spacers., not to mention the hassle of tire shops refusing to touch the car anymore.

I'm looking at the mach1 base 5-spoke wheels, because I prefer to keep an OEM look, I want to stay black, and I trust OEM wheel quality. However, I am on the fence, because I don't know if they are aggressive enough to merit the change, I don't know how much they weigh, and they are flat black, not gloss. I like them glossy. So I'm at an impasse. The net result is I'll probably keep the stock wheels on for a few months.
No worries at all, this is exactly where I was a while ago and ended up going with the 6GR rims. I really like the OE look myself (my rims are GT350 replica). I struggled with the wheel spacers as well (apparently longer studs that replace stock studs and spacers that just sit on them are 10x safer/better than spacers that include studs). I liked the birds nest Mach1 wheels but they aren’t gloss black, so they were out. Just for reference, I’m pretty sure the five spoke Mach1 rims are a gun metal, not gloss black as well. Point of all that is after a lot of looking and opinion reading, Project 6GR are beautiful, highly reviewed, affordable for spun forged, and I am happy as hell. That leads me to today, where I need tires…
Sponsored

OP
OP
TrackMustang

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
If the car is never tracked, I would put 275/40 on it. The slightly taller sidewall helps fill the fender gap for a better look, plus it's usually a cheaper size to buy. Also, in my area some shops charge more for mounting 35 and lower series tires, many won't even do it claiming they don't have the machine for it.

As for brand, I really like the Firestone Indy 500's, much cheaper than the Michelins and they stick like glue compared to the stock Pirellis.
Holy shit those are way cheaper, I might look into those…

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Holy shit those are way cheaper, I might look into those…
All Michelins are overpriced and overrated. I would go with nearly any other option.

OP
OP
TrackMustang

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
All Michelins are overpriced and overrated. I would go with nearly any other option.
Continental Extreme Contact Sport?

Sponsored

8GTOKLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 DHG Bullitt
Why would you get a squared-up set of wheels so you can rotate tires then buy tires sized so you can't rotate?
I never rotate, so it wasn't a concern. Why by squared if your gonna run the same size as stock on the rear. These cars need wider rears. Also the sizes I gave above aren't narrow at all its the sizes that Porsche and Mercedes have run for decades..which means more tire options.

If everyone recalls I did post a link that has all the options, I just added another choice

Narrow is the crap setup on the PP1 19x9/10 cars 255/275

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I never rotate, so it wasn't a concern. Why by squared if your gonna run the same size as stock on the rear. These cars need wider rears. Also the sizes I gave above aren't narrow at all its the sizes that Porsche and Mercedes have run for decades..which means more tire options.

If everyone recalls I did post a link that has all the options, I just added another choice

Narrow is the crap setup on the PP1 19x9/10 cars 255/275
The car is front heavy. It is weight distribution is not like a porsche, so our tire needs are different.

It DOES needs more rear tire, but it ALSO needs more front tire. Depending on your goals, it doesn't need staggered tire sizes, assuming both are wide enough in the first place.

Stagger is one way to get a car that understeers, but its not the only way. A biased swaybar setup can give you rear grip (at the expense of front grip) without going to a wider staggered tire setup. Some of us want a nimble car which not only puts power down well, but also doesn't push through corners like a pig. The factory 255/275 PP1 bias (and similar staggers on other models) is in part to keep the car understeering, because most of the drivers out there don't know how to handle a car that even slightly starts to oversteer in a corner, so its neutered to ensure that the drivers are most likely to experience understeer instead. The fastest setups are wide on both ends.

Hostil

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
just for reference. I have a 2015 GT with stock springs and I run 275/35/20 up front and 305/30/20 rears on Nitto 555N2's all 10 inch rims. Rides good, no rubs , no noise, no worries... Steeda progressives going in soon.

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Typically on a 19x10 application for the S550, we use either a 275/35/19 or 285/35/19 Michelin or Nitto tire brand. This works great both on stock height and lowered application. Since you are on stock height, I would prefer to go with a 285/35 over a 275/35.

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Typically on a 19x10 application for the S550, we use either a 275/35/19 or 285/35/19 Michelin or Nitto tire brand. This works great both on stock height and lowered application. Since you are on stock height, I would prefer to go with a 285/35 over a 275/35.
What is the "skinniest" rear you'd recommend on a 19x11 rear? I am interested in keeping overall diameter really close to stock (255/40-19's), because it's a 3.55 gear car (manual), and tall tires = less advantageous gearing.... So would prefer shorter-than-stock over taller.

Addendum: I don't mind a slightly "stretched" look... Not stupid ricer stretch, but if the wheel is slightly wider I'm fine w/ that.

Sponsored

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
What is the "skinniest" rear you'd recommend on a 19x11 rear? I am interested in keeping overall diameter really close to stock (255/40-19's), because it's a 3.55 gear car (manual), and tall tires = less advantageous gearing.... So would prefer shorter-than-stock over taller.

Addendum: I don't mind a slightly "stretched" look... Not stupid ricer stretch, but if the wheel is slightly wider I'm fine w/ that.

If you desire to keep as close of a overall diameter matching front and back I would do a 295/35/19 on a 19x11. Yes some have done smaller I understand that but based on what you desire. that would be the size I would use.

255/40/19 is 27.1" OD
295/35/19 is 27.1" OD

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
1646087055195.png

If you care about how the car handles and you want to be able to take corners at speed, do NOT go staggered. Yes, these cars need wide rear tires...but they need an equally wide front tire even more. Hence why the PP2, all Shelbys, FP350S, and the GT4 all come with a 305 front or greater.
Sponsored