Short throw shifter options for a non-racer

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
OK... So, I've been watching a few videos on installations and I'm realizing something...

AND THIS IS TOTALLY ON ME!

All of the handle replacements (outside of the Boomba) seem to require getting under the car and disassembling everything anyway, huh? Lord, what a PITA!

So, for everybody saying go with MGW, I think I see a big reason why, now. You're under there anyway, almost pulling the whole thing out regardless... Why not just swap the whole thing, right?

Or do I just go with the Boomba? 😅 [when it's back in stock...]
You'll get no argument from me! :like:
Sponsored

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
Other than replacing the flimsy rear Factory Shifter Bracket underneath (2 Bolts) the rest is done from above.
This is for the Ford Racing Shifter whichI believe is the same as the Barton Shifter.

Looks like an easy install

OP
OP
GilmourD

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS - Ruby Red Metallic
Other than replacing the flimsy rear Factory Shifter Bracket underneath (2 Bolts) the rest is done from above.
This is for the Ford Racing Shifter whichI believe is the same as the Barton Shifter.

Looks like an easy install
Unfortunately that's the 11-14 version of the shifter, which doesn't really apply to the cars most often discussed on the Sixth Generation forum. 😉

OP
OP
GilmourD

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS - Ruby Red Metallic
OK, so since my realization that Wolfman does indeed have nards and installing the replacement handles is probably a bigger pain in them than just replacing the whole shifter with a transmission mounted unit...

What's the consensus? Boomba replacement handle? MGW? Barton Hybrid 3? Steeda? Other?

If you make a suggestion, please explain why since I'm not only looking to make a purchase but this thread could be a good learning experience.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Just to update this thread I got the FTB bracket installed tonight and left the steeda bracket in place. Pretty much exactly what I wanted. Shifts are very positive. more vibration than I expected but still quieter than the MGW I had which was my gripe with it.
Overall for most people on the street a stainless clutch line and steeda bracket would be perfect.

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Just to update this thread I got the FTB bracket installed tonight and left the steeda bracket in place. Pretty much exactly what I wanted. Shifts are very positive. more vibration than I expected
Steeda bracket, as in the Steeda billet shifter body mount ?

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
The vibration you’re experiencing will be reduced a bunch if you remove the body mount when using the FTB bracket. The shifts will also improve with the body mount removed under moderate to heavy acceleration.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
The vibration you’re experiencing will be reduced a bunch if you remove the body mount when using the FTB bracket. The shifts will also improve with the body mount removed under moderate to heavy acceleration.
Hmmm good to know I’ll give it a shot

RTR077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT RTR Spec 1
I have the Boomba shifter and trans mount. Smooth shifts and easy throw.

I can even ship you the tool - I still have it; long story.
Sponsored