Shelby GT350 Engine Oil Temps

busnrete8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 ShelbyGT350
This question has probably been asked hundred's of times, so at the risk of redundancy, I'm asking again. I own a 2019 GT350 currently with 28,000. It was my 7th Mustang purchase and after owning 3 5.0 Coyotes that were all fun to drive, owning and driving the Shelby has been extremely rewarding. My Voodoo has been perfect in every way possible. No issues at all with one exception. A warranty replacement of the A/C Compressor that had some strange noises but yet still functioned correctly was accomplished. K1335 is completely a stock street version and even though I purchased it pre-owned with 5200 miles and only 6 months from build date, I had no concerns buying it. I knew of the early issues with the 5.2 and quite honestly felt that some were owner induced. But too my point. From the beginning, I probably checked my engine oil with a weekly pre-flight making sure I wasn't loosing oil in any way--excessive loss et al and I have my dealer change oil every 5000 miles. I also check the Ford Performance catch can (1 unit installed on the passenger side) and I personally remove the excess with a syringe and at the most, I've removed 28 cc's of oil! My dip stick has shown full and clean--well maybe 1/2 qt low since my purchase. I knew my Shelby came with an array of gages fitting a F/A 18 Super Hornet--2 oil pressure and 2 oil temp readouts that I actively monitor that after ignition, the first indicator I want to see is oil pressure! About 1 1/2 years ago, I was involved with a road cruise near my home and while waiting for the event to begin, I noticed my oil temp gage (digital) was reading 225 degrees. I was in a parking lot at noon and in July in North Carolina it can get very hot here, I felt like I needed to get some air moving across my oil cooler quickly. I had never seen an oil gage read that high before and I thought something was wrong. I cornered the Service Director at my local Ford Dealer and after he read the 5.2 specs along with all the other related gage specs (transmission, rear axle) I now have the 'normal temp ranges' for each along with cautions cited that suggest a service visit requirement. I also got an education oil Ford's full blend synthetic and that all full blend synthetic is hydroscopic--meaning that it is by design, made to run hotter to conventional oils to burn off excess or all moisture that can destroy an engine! I don't have any suspicions of issues with my oil cooler system, but I have seen temp fluctuations from 210 to as high as 230 degrees and actively return to lower readouts. I've also observed no abnormalities in performance or warnings! I drive my Shelby carefully never asking it to do anything that I am NOT capable of handing personally. Being close to 78, I thoroughly hearing the question, 'hey old man, can you handle that car'? My response is always, 'wanna watch'? I've been known to 'exercise' occasionally also--but I don't do burnouts! My overall evaluation I have a terrific Shelby that has met all my expectations. I'd like to hear from other Shelby owners that can share similar feedback with engine oil performance's like mine! Thanks for being patient--I like citing details--K1335 deserves it!
Sponsored

webspoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Code Orange
Congrats on the new vodoo. I bought mine with similar mileage, and have added now have 15k, with at least 8k track miles and it is still running strong.

On a hot day(80s-90s) and hot laps with pulls to redline I can hit 260-270. This pulls down to 230s with some cool off or idling, which is my shutoff point. 220-240 is a good range for the street. The synth oil can take into the 300s and still protect - but it does reduce oil life.

At 5k miles, it’s a good time to start oil analysis samples to keep track of the oil degradation and wear patterns. Drive it hard, and enjoy! that’s what the engineers built it for.

OP
OP

busnrete8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 ShelbyGT350
Thanks. I felt I didn't have any concerns just looking for similar experiences. I don't baby it and I have exercised it on the street. I have no plans to track it or add any engine mods. It truly meets all my expectations!

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
This question has probably been asked hundred's of times, so at the risk of redundancy, I'm asking again. I own a 2019 GT350 currently with 28,000. It was my 7th Mustang purchase and after owning 3 5.0 Coyotes that were all fun to drive, owning and driving the Shelby has been extremely rewarding. My Voodoo has been perfect in every way possible. No issues at all with one exception. A warranty replacement of the A/C Compressor that had some strange noises but yet still functioned correctly was accomplished. K1335 is completely a stock street version and even though I purchased it pre-owned with 5200 miles and only 6 months from build date, I had no concerns buying it. I knew of the early issues with the 5.2 and quite honestly felt that some were owner induced. But too my point. From the beginning, I probably checked my engine oil with a weekly pre-flight making sure I wasn't loosing oil in any way--excessive loss et al and I have my dealer change oil every 5000 miles. I also check the Ford Performance catch can (1 unit installed on the passenger side) and I personally remove the excess with a syringe and at the most, I've removed 28 cc's of oil! My dip stick has shown full and clean--well maybe 1/2 qt low since my purchase. I knew my Shelby came with an array of gages fitting a F/A 18 Super Hornet--2 oil pressure and 2 oil temp readouts that I actively monitor that after ignition, the first indicator I want to see is oil pressure! About 1 1/2 years ago, I was involved with a road cruise near my home and while waiting for the event to begin, I noticed my oil temp gage (digital) was reading 225 degrees. I was in a parking lot at noon and in July in North Carolina it can get very hot here, I felt like I needed to get some air moving across my oil cooler quickly. I had never seen an oil gage read that high before and I thought something was wrong. I cornered the Service Director at my local Ford Dealer and after he read the 5.2 specs along with all the other related gage specs (transmission, rear axle) I now have the 'normal temp ranges' for each along with cautions cited that suggest a service visit requirement. I also got an education oil Ford's full blend synthetic and that all full blend synthetic is hydroscopic--meaning that it is by design, made to run hotter to conventional oils to burn off excess or all moisture that can destroy an engine! I don't have any suspicions of issues with my oil cooler system, but I have seen temp fluctuations from 210 to as high as 230 degrees and actively return to lower readouts. I've also observed no abnormalities in performance or warnings! I drive my Shelby carefully never asking it to do anything that I am NOT capable of handing personally. Being close to 78, I thoroughly hearing the question, 'hey old man, can you handle that car'? My response is always, 'wanna watch'? I've been known to 'exercise' occasionally also--but I don't do burnouts! My overall evaluation I have a terrific Shelby that has met all my expectations. I'd like to hear from other Shelby owners that can share similar feedback with engine oil performance's like mine! Thanks for being patient--I like citing details--K1335 deserves it!
Two things on this - first, as others have said, your 230 degree oil isn't actually "hot". The engine management computer doesn't think your engine is even starting to get "hot" until 270 and it doesn't do much about it until you're closer to 300. The oils that meet the Ford spec for the engine will be fine at those temperatures.

Second, keep in mind that everything that happens on your car - in the engine, magnetic suspension, etc - is monitored by the computer that controls it. They've been programmed to protect the thing they manage, so you, as the driver, can just drive and not spend a moment thinking about any of it. The guardrails in the ECU that manages the engine are pretty strict but they're a long way out because of the performance goals of the engine. The way this works out for me is that the only display I watch when I'm driving on the race track is tire pressures. Everything else is in the capable hands of the computers.

Sponsored

OP
OP

busnrete8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 ShelbyGT350
Thanks for the reply and the confirmations that I expected an appreciate. It makes driving my Shelby more enjoyable!

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
For what’s worth the GT350 I ran in track attack in Utah ran consistently at 260 degrees. My 16’ GT350 under hard daily driving in public roads can go up to 240 in hot weather. Most often sits at 220-235.

OP
OP

busnrete8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 ShelbyGT350
rfcs, it's always worth sharing information with Shelby owners. Even with owning 3 Coyote previously (2011, 2013 & 2017) and running full blend synthetic oil in them, I was not aware of the hydroscopic capabilities of the Ford Performance oil I use now. It was also a plus having the sophisticated gauge package (analog & digital) to view the actual temps of all the critical components AND the limits of each. My Shelby is 3 years old for me next month and it is still a learning experience. I just turned 30,000 miles and my stock answer to folks when asked what is the most fun I've had driving it--my answer is 'the next time I get in it'!

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
Right on! My ‘16 is a track pak, which I bought new, just turned 30k miles and runs like a champ. I still have the same fun feeling driving it like no other car I’ve ever owned. Looking for any chance I get to rev it to the limit which is not often. My daily now is the new Mav so I drive the GT350 mostly on weekends. It’s keeper for sure.

About the car itself it seems my Gen 1 voodoo had good genes from the start! No engine issues. I’ve used Motorcraft’s synthetic 4 ever. Consumed more oil at first but now it seems the piston rings have seated properly over time and uses maybe 1 qt per 1,500 miles which seems better than most for Gen 1 engines. Sure, the oil filter has come a little loose after changes but tighter torquing will get it solved. A/c evap problems and wear and tear in the side support mouldings of the Recaro’s are common problems. Changed the front suspension seats and shocks after damage due to road conditions. Ah, let’s not forget living with the ungodly bumper gaps in the 16’ year model. Other than that it runs well and reliably.

Off topic, about mods, it’s basically stock. Added an oil catch can, resonator delete, front stabilizer bar to reduce tramlining as the MPSS wear out. The best mod has been changing the wheels to a fully forged and lighter set by Signature Performance. Love the car!

Last edited:

JJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350, trans am ws6, G80
Dont worry about it i just drove mine today never went above 5k rpms and its between 230-240 and thats in the heat of the middle east the outside temp was around 46c (115f)
Sponsored