Shelby GT 350 oil filter requirement.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
For current owners of the Shelby GT 350 please read............The engine requires a ford filter designed for this engine. Must be torque to 16-18 ft-lb. A regular oil filter may damage your engine and void the warranty. The ford filter will handle the vibration from the engine. The filter has pink anti vibration coating on the treads and must be torque properly. I got this info from a Ford engineer.
This information is based on facts and should not be considered an opinion on what filter to use.
If you want to add your opinion go start another post. This post is to inform current owners only. If you don't own a GT 350 don't bother to reply.
This is not a discussion on vibration or anything else. This info is in the sup gt350 owners manual. Type of filter also.
Sponsored

Last edited:

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
Sounds about right. About $15 from Rock Auto and from the factory it's reported they put blue loc-tite on the threads? I can say that it took me about 80-100ft lbs to get the original off!

RadBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 BOSS302, 29 Model A Roadster
Were is the official Ford citation that sez due to extreme vibration et al, only the specified Ford filter is strong enough to withstand.

I would just like to know that these considerations are not being fueled by misinformation.

OP
OP
5.0 435

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Were is the official Ford citation that sez due to extreme vibration et al, only the specified Ford filter is strong enough to withstand.

I would just like to know that these considerations are not being fueled by misinformation.
Go re-read my post.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
What is all this talk about extreme vibration from the Voodoo engine?? . . . My GT350 is as smoooooth as my Lincoln LS with a V8, all the way up to 8,250 RPM. Besides, torqueing against that big rubber gasket should be enough to keep the filter tight, regardless of vibration.
Based on what I have seen, I would think the construction of some of the oil filters on the market would not hold up to the elevated oil pressure that these engines develop, in most cases 2x the pressure of other engines.

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
What is all this talk about extreme vibration from the Voodoo engine?? . . . My GT350 is as smoooooth as my Lincoln LS with a V8, all the way up to 8,250 RPM. Besides, torqueing against that big rubber gasket should be enough to keep the filter tight, regardless of vibration.
Based on what I have seen, I would think the construction of some of the oil filters on the market would not hold up to the elevated oil pressure that these engines develop, in most cases 2x the pressure of other engines.
Drive your car in third at 5000 rpm and hold it there. Keep the palm of you hand on the shifter. Once you feel it you'll know.

Maybe even modulate the rpm from 4500-5500 it's crazy vibrations. Once the cam goes to maximum advance after 3500r the engines characteristics really change and the harmonic frequencies really come alive.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Stick your hand on the oil filter (or anywhere on the engine for that matter) while the engine is idling. It's like a Sunbeam. Then imagine 5-10x more when you're in the upper rev range. Don't confuse vibration with shaking.

RadBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go re-read my post.
Thanks I read it. Please show me a Ford document or tech bulletin that supports that notion only theirs can handle the vibration.

Every automotive manufacturer from A-Z lists their filter as the one to use.

Sponsored
OP
OP
5.0 435

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Thanks I read it. Please show me a Ford document or tech bulletin.[/QUOTE
What part of the manual don't you understand or my post ????

Last edited:

rancherogt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 Track Pack, 07 Volvo V70, 82 f350
Thanks I read it. Please show me a Ford document or tech bulletin that supports that notion only theirs can handle the vibration.

Every automotive manufacturer from A-Z lists their filter as the one to use.
2015-2016-Mustang-Shelby-GT350-Supplement-version-1_su_EN-US_07_2015.pdf

Page 36 from the Shelby GT350 owners supplement

Note: Use only a Motorcraft FL-2069-ST
oil filter for maximum performance,
reliability and durability. This filter was
specifically engineered for this vehicle.
Note:The use of any oil filter other than the
dealer supplied oil filter may cause engine
damage.

My Shelby normally runs about 110psi of oil pressure at cold start up and 75psi rolling down the road hot. Then combine that with the harmonics from the FPC.

Sorry but I won't risk blowing out a cheap oil filter to save a few dollars on this amazing engine.

RadBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015-2016-Mustang-Shelby-GT350-Supplement-version-1_su_EN-US_07_2015.pdf

Page 36 from the Shelby GT350 owners supplement

Note: Use only a Motorcraft FL-2069-ST
oil filter for maximum performance,
reliability and durability. This filter was
specifically engineered for this vehicle.
Note:The use of any oil filter other than the
dealer supplied oil filter may cause engine
damage.

My Shelby normally runs about 110psi of oil pressure at cold start up and 75psi rolling down the road hot. Then combine that with the harmonics from the FPC.

Sorry but I won't risk blowing out a cheap oil filter to save a few dollars on this amazing engine.
No one is asking you too, and no one said to buy Wal Mart house brand for this engine (or did I miss that recommendation?). I just want to be sure people are not jumping over the fence based on inaccurate or embellished information. The owners manual is clear enough that only Ford's filter should be used, but there is no mention anywhere that I have seen (yet) where Ford says a non Ford filter is going self grenade due to engine extreme vibrations. 180 degree crank throw or now coined 'flat cranks' have been around for decades. Their down fall or limitation over the decades has been structural fatigue failures due to vibration or harmonics, causing race engines to self distruct. With the technology we have today, Ford appears to have overcome that engineering problem.

So we know Ford recommends their filter. Now point me to where Ford says that only thier filter will tolerate the Voodoo engine tendency to vibrate.

I haven't done and vibration comparison on my R model, but keep in mind that vibrations will cause fatigue failures on any engine. And Ford can not afford for this engine to have undampened vibrations that will be the demise of this engine. So I am worried about the rocket scientists out there who are saying the engine vibrates with enough energy to shake a filter apart.

And whats FPC?

Last edited:

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
No one is asking you too, and no one said to buy Wal Mart house brand for this engine (or did I miss that recommendation?). I just want to be sure people are not jumping over the fence based on inaccurate or embellished information. The owners manual is clear enough that only Ford's filter should be used, but there is no mention anywhere that I have seen (yet) where Ford says a non Ford filter is going self grenade due to engine extreme vibrations. 180 degree crank throw or now coined 'flat cranks' have been around for decades. Their down fall or limitation over the decades has been structural fatigue failures due to vibration or harmonics, causing race engines to self distruct. With the technology we have today, Ford appears to have overcome that engineering problem.

So we know Ford recommends their filter. Now point me to where Ford says that only thier filter will tolerate the Voodoo engine tendency to vibrate.

I haven't done and vibration comparison on my R model, but keep in mind that vibrations will cause fatigue failures on any engine. And Ford can not afford for this engine to have undampened vibrations that will be the demise of this engine. So I am worried about the rocket scientists out there who are saying the engine vibrates with enough energy to shake a filter apart.

And whats FPC?
It's highly unlikely Ford is going to come out and say the technical reasons why to use their filter. People would probably panic. They have their reasons, and if legitimate, it is likely because there were failures during development. I'm sure many companies have created their own parts which are highly recommended and are stated in the manual that damage could occur without that specific part. But, if they really do have an additional substance on the threads for anti-vibration, there's the "technology" you said Ford used to prevent this engine from having premature issues.
Sponsored