Sponsored

Selling my Focus RS - is it normal to be this heartbroken?!

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I don't know if this is normal to feel - I mean, in the end cars are just tools and we use them for a purpose. But cars are also objects into which we inject our own soul, time, passion, devotion and not just a little money.

I've had my RS for eleven years now. And for eleven years it's been the dearest object to my heart. The one thing my friends would always laugh at was never going to move from #1 on my priority list, even when my wife came along. And even when she did the car went from being a lust object for me to being a family member, and something that brought my wife and me together and brought a smile to her face as often as it did my own.

I don't just like this car... I LOVE it. I love it with passion, with heart, soul, and it breaks my heart to do what I'm about to.

So what's happening? Well... Tomorrow a very respectable chap is coming by to look at it, and perhaps buy it from me. He's an agreeable person, and though I'm perhaps getting less money than I think I could (aren't we all), I'm not upset by his offer.

But as I sat yesterday, looking at all the receipts and documents, putting them in order for him, categorizing what was for what and separating the emissions test results from the annual service bills... My heart just started weeping, and I wanted to clutch those papers to my heart and just cry. I forgot all about the Mustang which is on its way to me, and just wanted to stop time and live with this car forever.

I'm not selling because I'm in financial dire straits. I'm selling because it's the right thing to do. The RS is now 12 years old. It needs care I can't give it. It needs a house with a garage - not to be parked on a street under a tree, an owner who knows how to maintain a car properly, and who uses it not as an everyday, year-round roundabout bandit daily driver but as something precious, a project car to work on in his spare time. That's exactly the sort of house it's going to (I hope), so I'm happy for the car... but...

Is it normal to be this heartbroken to lose your car? Or am I crazy? I can't help it, I'm completely in pieces today. I can't get any work done in the office, I'm just... broken.
IMG_20150918_171118.jpg
Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
I was heatbroken when I sold my Skyline. the guy who bought it lived right infront of my work so I had to look at it everyday! I regretted it every time I'd drive by. Falling in love with a car is what separates a true enthusiast from the people who just see it as a tool.

Original Focus RS are rare as hell in Germany, I'd be tempted to keep it if it would not be too much of a burden, Especially with a family, as the stang will get impractical once the kids are out of child seats

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
Yeah man, I'd probably keep it if it means that much to you! I don't own cars long enough to get that attached haha. The only car I REALLY miss is my first car...1975 Datsun 280Z. It was perfect in every way. I keep saying I'm going to keep my Mustang for 10+ years, but in reality I'll probably keep it 5ish and then trade up.

OP
OP
Gryphon

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Falling in love with a car is what separates a true enthusiast from the people who just see it as a tool.

Original Focus RS are rare as hell in Germany, I'd be tempted to keep it if it would not be too much of a burden, Especially with a family, as the stang will get impractical once the kids are out of child seats
Man. This car and I have grown up together. So many firsts, so many pivotal moments in my life. We faced fears together and shed tears together. 11 years is a huge chunk of someone's life.

Yeah everybody keeps telling me the same thing, keep it and use the Mustang as a side car.

I had this same thought over and over again, and financially I could probably swing it - in the end though... I live in an apartment and the car is parked on the street in front of my building, in a part of town where the average car ownership is .69 cars per household. I simply don't have the infrastructure, parking wise, insurancewise, spacewise, to have a car which I don't drive every day. And this is becoming a little too old and too special to be used as a daily driver, parked under a tree on a public street. I know in my heart it's the right thing to do, for the car and for me.

Yeah man, I'd probably keep it if it means that much to you! I don't own cars long enough to get that attached haha. The only car I REALLY miss is my first car...1975 Datsun 280Z. It was perfect in every way. I keep saying I'm going to keep my Mustang for 10+ years, but in reality I'll probably keep it 5ish and then trade up.
Ha ha, thanks for making it easier on me ;) Like I mentioned above, it's parked on the street outside my apartment building, so I have nowhere to keep it, really. No garage or somewhere it can spend the winter, no place to tinker with it or work on it, nowhere to store it, I just don't have the infrastructure. I need to have one car, and drive that car to work and back, winter and summer. And, well, the Mustang's coming so the space does need to be cleared. Whatever the heart says, I do need to sell the car, as sad as it is.

I just can't bring myself to realize that there will come a day soon when I'll look out of my bedroom window and it won't be there.

It's always been there.

Thanks guys. I mean it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gryphon

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Why not look into the new Focus RS? Just curious.
My short list was exactly that, it was exactly two cars long. Either a 2016 GT or a 2016 RS.

I thought long and hard and fought long and hard, and in the end realized four things - listed in order of complexity:

1. The new RS is way, way bigger than my RS. And if I'm going up a size in car, I might as well go for gold and get a significantly bigger car.

2. The new RS is a much more practical car, a hatchback with five doors, four wheel drive, kid-friendly and still racy enough. The thing is, I don't have kids. I don't plan on kids. My wife and I are two happily childless adults who love tearing up the road - so whom exactly are those rear doors for?

3. My wife and I got married on July 4th. We spent our honeymoon on Route 66. We didn't go to the Monte Carlo Rally, we went to the Daytona 500. We didn't go see Avicii, we went to see Lady Antebellum. America is in our blood, both of us. Having the chance to have a genuinely American car was something we couldn't pass up.

4. I have a feeling that the N/A RWD manual gearbox muscle car is a dying breed. In 2025, who knows what the most powerful Mustang will be? A hybrid? A twin-turbo V6? Most likely with a paddle shifter as standard and even more nannies and electronics. We figured, if there was a time to get a taste of the simple recipe of v8 - rear drive - limited slip diff, it was now or never.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
My short list was exactly that, it was exactly two cars long. Either a 2016 GT or a 2016 RS.

I thought long and hard and fought long and hard, and in the end realized four things - listed in order of complexity:

1. The new RS is way, way bigger than my RS. And if I'm going up a size in car, I might as well go for gold and get a significantly bigger car.

2. The new RS is a much more practical car, a hatchback with five doors, four wheel drive, kid-friendly and still racy enough. The thing is, I don't have kids. I don't plan on kids. My wife and I are two happily childless adults who love tearing up the road - so whom exactly are those rear doors for?

3. My wife and I got married on July 4th. We spent our honeymoon on Route 66. We didn't go to the Monte Carlo Rally, we went to the Daytona 500. We didn't go see Avicii, we went to see Lady Antebellum. America is in our blood, both of us. Having the chance to have a genuinely American car was something we couldn't pass up.

4. I have a feeling that the N/A RWD manual gearbox muscle car is a dying breed. In 2025, who knows what the most powerful Mustang will be? A hybrid? A twin-turbo V6? Most likely with a paddle shifter as standard and even more nannies and electronics. We figured, if there was a time to get a taste of the simple recipe of v8 - rear drive - limited slip diff, it was now or never.
Fair enough, you bring up valid points. Enjoy the car, it'll treat you wonderfully. Just make sure to grab an exhaust :thumbsup:

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost

All very good points. My fiancee and I are also happily and permanently childless. Both now have2 door performance coupes with impractical back seats.[emoji1]

Sent from my GT-I9060I using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Gryphon

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Fair enough, you bring up valid points. Enjoy the car, it'll treat you wonderfully. Just make sure to grab an exhaust :thumbsup:
I've been listening to Roush axlebacks and mentally building a budget ;) So much for promising myself to enjoy the warranty!!

But I guess you always want what you can't have. Americans idolize our snappy high-tech hatchbacks, and we all dream of the Mustangs and Camaros.

And now, for the first time, we both get to have them! You get the RS model, and we get the Mustang. Go cultural exchanges :)

OP
OP
Gryphon

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
My fiancee and I are also happily and permanently childless. Both now have2 door performance coupes with impractical back seats.[emoji1]
There are worse fates, huh? :cheers:

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
You are more American than most Americans. -'Merica

Sounds like a tough call, but my guess is that once you start tinkering with the Mustang, you will love it even more.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
I hate you for owning a RS j/k

Try to keep the RS and add the Mustang. The RS is too cool to give up IMO

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn