Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
mustang has a longer wider hood to disperse the impact. You may have sustained injuries in a mazda 3.
If you wanna accelerate slower then get an suv. Not sure why your blaming the stang.
Sponsored

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
You want a car that's not fragile? Stay away from Mazda.
I was driving my wife's 2010 CX-7 home from the marina 5 or 6 years ago. We were in a construction area and it was raining, traffic was probably going around 30 mph. Somehow, someone punted a traffic cone into my lane, I didn't have room to stop and traffic was heavy enough that any other evasive maneuver could have been ugly. I nailed that cone, my wife was pissed but I'm thinking "big deal, it's a freakin' cone," after about a hundred autocross events I know hitting a cone won't cause any damage.
The rain let up and traffic picked up speed, once I got over 50 it became obvious that something was flapping against the front end. I pulled into a rest area thinking the cone was still under the car or something. The front bumper was a mess, one of the lower grills was pushed back through the inner fender liner and the busted liner was flapping in the wind.
She wanted an accident report, it was pretty obvious insurance was going to be involved. The trooper who came out didn't hide that he was skeptical that a cone could do that much damage. I knew how he felt, I once spun into a row of about 15 cones at an autox sending them flying with every panel on the car but causing no damage.
The repair came to around $1200, from hitting an orange cone at 30 mph. If you don't want a fragile car, don't buy a Mazda.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Also, after a lot of research and thought, I’m leaning towards replacing my S550 with the Mazda 6 in Soul Red. I know, I know, it’s a slow car, lol. But, truth be told (despite what some people will say on this forum about V8 ownership), I really don’t need a 335 BHP rear wheel drive hoonigan machine. Yes, I could put the stock tune back on, or even go with the 87PRX, but still, these cars are f@#ing fast!
I guess it’s the same reason I’ve never owned a motorcycle...

So no, my next car won’t be as beautiful, but it weighs 500 Lbs less than the base S550 and the steering feel is awesome (so I’ve read, lol, I’ve still yet to test drive one;). The 2019 Mazda 3 is attractive but after waiting so many years for FoMoCo to get rid of the live axle on the Mustang, I couldn’t in good faith purchase a car with a Torsion beam rear, so I’ll stick with the 6.
At least you're picking from a mfr that has traditionally been among those that valued the driving experience.

Only a little off-topic, but we kept a '95 626 LX/V6 5MT (I guess roughly comparable to today's 6) for almost 19-1/2 years. Granddaughter owns it now.

Norm

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
get a golf r dsg i have an 18 with a piggy back and its gone 12.08 @113 its not bad for a 4 cylinder car

Sponsored

Guard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid Red GT500 CFTP
Actually you needed more power. 800+ should do it. You would have just spun the tires on the poorly prepared street surface and avoided the accident entirely. If I were you I’d just repair it. With the messy front end off you could go ahead with a good aftermarket radiator and heat exchanger, billet oil pump and crank sprocket gears on your new Coyote FI setup. Let’s be safe out there!

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
The car crumpling is what makes it safe. If the car doesn't crumple, all that energy gets transferred to the occupants, who really are fragile. They crumple until they hit the safety cage. I remember we hit a cow in my Dad's 66 Lincoln continental. It flew right over the car; the only damage to the car was the hood ornament. But cars today are much safer for the fact that they are bendy where people are not sitting.
Not sure on the crumpling logic. Have 17 4Runner and an idiot behind while waiting on red light. Just started to move forward and hit the rear bumper. Of course they were texting...….anyhow, 4 runner had a black rub mark and cover creased, Fairly new Honda Accord a foot shorter and radiator holed.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Not sure on the crumpling logic. Have 17 4Runner and an idiot behind while waiting on red light. Just started to move forward and hit the rear bumper. Of course they were texting...….anyhow, 4 runner had a black rub mark and cover creased, Fairly new Honda Accord a foot shorter and radiator holed.
LOL, not sure your assessment is correct. I had a similar situation a few years ago when I got tagged in the rear in a traffic jam on the way home from work. My Passat had some scratches in the rear bumper cover, the Camry need a complete nose, the bumper, grill, and hood were toast and the headlights and fenders had some damage too. Any braking from the vehicle in the rear will result in front end dive and the strongest part of the front end, the bumper, will not be the part that takes the impact. When the front vehicle is taller, like your 4 runner, it doesn't matter much if the rear vehicle is on the brakes, it's going under the bumper. And yes, the girl driving was texting as well.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
My buddy has a Mazda6 with the 2.5 turbo engine and that thing is no slouch, wouldn't be a Mustang GT but it's an above average performer. First Mazda I've ever driven and very impressed with it.

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
You failed to describe the accident, only show a picture, and say "this happened before I got out of the intersection."
The photo is the result of what happened, but what happened is unknown. If your S550 was hit by a run away shopping
cart, well yes, it is fair to call it fragile. If it was hit by a drunk driver Hummer it may be the toughest car on the road.
The front of the car is a crumple zone meant to save your life. Your Mustang did not cause the accident, you or the other
driver did. Name another car you would have been in that would be fine after whatever happened happens. If my S550 gets
destroyed, I get another S550. It is called commitment and knowing what you like to drive. This is the 6G Mustang forum not the stupid stuff happens forum.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
You failed to describe the accident, only show a picture, and say "this happened before I got out of the intersection."
The photo is the result of what happened, but what happened is unknown. If your S550 was hit by a run away shopping
cart, well yes, it is fair to call it fragile. If it was hit by a drunk driver Hummer it may be the toughest car on the road.
The front of the car is a crumple zone meant to save your life. Your Mustang did not cause the accident, you or the other
driver did. Name another car you would have been in that would be fine after whatever happened happens. If my S550 gets
destroyed, I get another S550. It is called commitment and knowing what like to drive. This is the 6G Mustang forum not the stupid stuff happens forum.

Given how social media comes back to bite you - I would never mention specifics of an accident on-line. This guy is long gone so the point of everything else is...

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
Given how social media comes back to bite you - I would never mention specifics of an accident on-line. This guy is long gone so the point of everything else is...
Point well taken, was just visiting 6G to see what is new and saw this thread for the first time.
I am late and the party is over but I wanted to push back about the whinning. If a Mazada
is a substitute for a Mustang the guy may as well as ride the bus.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The front end of cars are crumple zones. They crush and deform to absorb energy, hence the Accord a foot shorter and radiator wrecked. The back end of cars are hella stout, because that's where the gas tank is.

Plus, a 4Runner is a body-on-frame truck, not a unit-body sedan. Big difference, including in height as another poster already pointed out.

The OP's Mustang did EXACTLY what it was designed to do. It's not "fragile", and it's very safe.

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
Dude! Bummer! I am sorry for your loss and sooo glad you are ok!....Is that in Edmonds by the duck pond?

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase