Lsstefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Good day.
I own an EB only with turbo back exhaust and yesterday I got it remaped. I know the stock IC is horrible but I've seen a number of tuned EBs here with stock IC so I thought it can work decent. But the dealer went all grim and told me I really really really need one.
The tune is not aggresive, got a little more torque down low than what dyno charts I've seen on google by other companies. I use 99-100 RON fuel.

Before the remap I studied the IAT from the dashboard to see how it fares. I also read that a 10* difference from ambient temp is ok. (might be mistaken, internet...)

Outside was 32*. Sitting in traffic for a longer time got me to 60*. After a little roll(slow acceleration), it dropped to 50*. If the car is moving a lot, the temp goes to 42-44 and stays there.

I know I need a bigger IC, but i don't have the money atm. I always keep an eye on the IAT and if I see it high(eg after high traffic) I don't WOT it. I drive it slow until it drops more.
Is it safe to drive around with those temperatures? What's the max safe temp for IAT?

Thank you for the help.
Kind regards.
Sponsored

SYK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium PP Auto
IAT and Charge Air Temp (CAT) are two different thing. IAT doesnt care about Intercooler efficiency. IAT is the temperature as it enters the intake duct. Charge air temp cannot be seen from the car's display. You will need a tuner or OBD hooked up to view the information. IAT of any sort cannot be improved by any means. When you are moving, your IAT should come very close to the ambient temp displayed on the center display (+5~10F).

OP
OP
Lsstefan

Lsstefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Ow... Thank you very much.
But if i have the IAT, can I determine the CAT? Not exact values, just a ballpark. That guy put some fear in me...

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Unfortunately there is no way to estimate CAT from IAT, there are too many variables that would impact it.

Sponsored

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
IAT can indeed be improved, though most won't want to do it. It's called intercooler in a bottle, and you rig it up to be sprayed into the air inlet. It would be easy to do on our cars in a non-obvious way, since the air intake tube is accessible but not easily visible from outside the car. Remember, it's always winter in that bottle. Start small (like 10 hp) and consult your tuner. I consulted mine and got the ok to do it. As I thought, he said it's very effective, and is safe.

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
I have had inlet air temps in the 100*. It all depends on ambient. Yes you need an intercooler because you heat soak the stock one

Black_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Black PP Ecoboost
IAT and Charge Air Temp (CAT) are two different thing. IAT doesnt care about Intercooler efficiency. IAT is the temperature as it enters the intake duct. Charge air temp cannot be seen from the car's display. You will need a tuner or OBD hooked up to view the information. IAT of any sort cannot be improved by any means. When you are moving, your IAT should come very close to the ambient temp displayed on the center display (+5~10F).

Glad I came across this in regards to the charge temps. I was curious as to how everyone knew the difference their ic made once installed - they were all tuned. Can anyone shed some light on doing the charge piping as well? Should you grab those with an ic or just keep the stock ones or what would the difference be of changing out the piping but keeping the stock ic? I feel the latter of the question is a bit rhetorical but looking for feedback.

OP
OP
Lsstefan

Lsstefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Thank you all for the info.
I'll get IC asap.

Edit: a friend got a cobb ap and i saw he has the option of tracking the CAT. Do we have a sensor for that from factory?

Last edited:

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
^ Yes we do.

Also, the ECU is smart enough to reduce power if you are in a dangerous air temperature condition as long as it is mapped correctly.

Sponsored

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
Thank you all for the info.
I'll get IC asap.

Edit: a friend got a cobb ap and i saw he has the option of tracking the CAT. Do we have a sensor for that from factory?
Yea, plugs right into the factory ic on cold side before the charge pipe.

OP
OP
Lsstefan

Lsstefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Awesome. I'll get me an OBD reader until I buy a bigger IC.

Thank you very much for the help.

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Awesome. I'll get me an OBD reader until I buy a bigger IC.

Thank you very much for the help.
Get Torque Pro if you're on android, I think that has all the PIDs you need to read it. It's marked as IAT2 I believe.

OP
OP
Lsstefan

Lsstefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Get Torque Pro if you're on android, I think that has all the PIDs you need to read it. It's marked as IAT2 I believe.
And any decent obd reader? Or all readers read all of the car's parameters?

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
And any decent obd reader? Or all readers read all of the car's parameters?
Find a good blue tooth OBDII adapter on ebay or amazon. I don't have a model to give you, but they usually work :)
Sponsored