Sponsored

S550 Published Patents

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I may (or may not) have found where Ford is hiding their S550 Mustang patents. This design referenced the EVOS, Aston Martin and Mondeo. I need someone to rule these diagrams out as I post them...

I will post them until somebody tells me to stop. These could be Fusion/Mondeo but, worth looking at. Sorry so big.

Not as angled as the Fusion's headlights.

More to come (Hopefully)
Sponsored

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
Judging the angle of the projector in the housing in reference to the lens I would say they are far to swept back to be S550, but they don't look like Fusion/Mondeo either, do they? Something is different...

Mriley

Interesting stuff... I actually think they are not as swept back as the Fusion's, like Pill said.

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Judging the angle of the projector in the housing in reference to the lens I would say they are far to swept back to be S550, but they don't look like Fusion/Mondeo either, do they? Something is different...
It's very possible the diagrams just make the unit look short, it could very well be Fusion lights.

Everyone working on the Fusion program is also working on the Mustang so, eliminating the designers to find the Mustang parts has become difficult. Chris Hamilton did these... The applicant (Ford Motor Company) references the Aston Martin brochure on multiple occasions...

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
fusion-headlight-628.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The taillight designs are there (in patent form) but the taillight diagrams are missing.

patent: US D686765 S1 and US D686764 S1

Both tail light designs, published on the same day, drawings are missing from the patent office records.

Again, could be Fusion.

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
I got the same pic Topnotch posted -- While the make up of the interior of the assembly is nearly identical, there are some things that are different than Fusion.

For example, it looks more curved. Second, the bottom of the projector on the actual Fusion light is cut off, but on the drawing it is not, and the drawing has a lot larger of a diffuser on inside of the light. They also do look shorter.

But to be S550 they look too long, too swept back, and on the spy shots, the top back corner of the light comes to a point -- it is not cut off like the Fusion and the drawing.

Last, the light does not look developed enough. By that I mean it looks 2013, not 2015 -- on the 2014 and later pics of Ford headlights they appear like there is more going on in the assembly, i.e. LEDs, and "design" work.

Either way this is awesome.

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Its Fusion. Not quite the same angle, but it's pretty clear.

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
Those are Fusion lamps, not S550 lamps. Look at the banner and you'll see the outer edge does not come to a point like the photos show. The reflector detail gives it away. These may have been early renderings that were tweaked to make it to production.

Sponsored

Callie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 GT Convertible
Damn hopefully we'll stumble across some S550 patents one day.

Pill, thanks for digging to try to find something.

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
Ford occasionally puts concept and production patents in there. I remember finding a bunch related to the Vertrek concept before it came out.
Sponsored