bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Not saying the automatic isn't faster...clearly it's hard to compete with a computer. Just don't understand buying a modern muscle car to just push gas-brake all day. Just my opinion.
The point is. I bet I'd beat you about half the time in a bolt-on car. And your probably making 150-200 more HP than me.:shrug:OP leaving the car in S is fine. Just let the transmission shift and work on your launch. The race is won and lost at the line. The car in the video is a stick shift hellcat. The race is won at the line!

[ame]

Last edited:

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Why D? Why not just S and let it shift?
When I had stock tune, it would shift at a lower rpm than when it was in D. I actually went slower in S vs D. Now with a tune, I am not sure that is the case anymore. Don't think there is much difference now

Getdownonit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
How is S different then D if you let the car shift on it's on? Also which mode is best Normal, Sport+ or Track and why? I have not drag raced it yet. Plan to soon.

Sponsored

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Op if u want to shift get a manual. Auto is faster if you leave the shifting up to the computer.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
^this...you cannot manually shift the transmission quicker than the computer!

6G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Not saying the automatic isn't faster...clearly it's hard to compete with a computer. Just don't understand buying a modern muscle car to just push gas-brake all day. Just my opinion.
Then go whine about it in the general section. No need to troll OP's thread. :tsk:

xraystyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium, Magnetic
How is S different then D if you let the car shift on it's on? Also which mode is best Normal, Sport+ or Track and why? I have not drag raced it yet. Plan to soon.
Bumping because I can't really figure this out either. I can't seem to get a straight answer.

When I leave the car in D and flip the mode to Sport+, the throttle is really responsive and if I mash it, it'll go all the way to redline before it shifts. I can't really tell that it's doing anything different when the shifter is in S if I don't touch the paddles.

Normal vs Sport+, there's less immediate throttle response. Snow/Wet backs it off significantly(as it should). Track mode, just seems like it's easier to spin the rear wheels.

But I really can't tell if putting the shifter in S makes any difference unless you want to use the paddles.

Barney 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang supercharged 5.0
Bumping because I can't really figure this out either. I can't seem to get a straight answer.

When I leave the car in D and flip the mode to Sport+, the throttle is really responsive and if I mash it, it'll go all the way to redline before it shifts. I can't really tell that it's doing anything different when the shifter is in S if I don't touch the paddles.

Normal vs Sport+, there's less immediate throttle response. Snow/Wet backs it off significantly(as it should). Track mode, just seems like it's easier to spin the rear wheels.

But I really can't tell if putting the shifter in S makes any difference unless you want to use the paddles.
Mine always ran faster in drive instead of sport

Sponsored

Guard 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT

Let me take a stab at this for you. So when you go in to "Sport mode" with your toggle switch (double tap traction control for base GT) you turn your traction control off but stability control is left on. Track mode (hold traction control button for 5 seconds for base GT) turns off traction AND stability control which I have heard is not good for launching.

This is different from putting your car in S (vs putting it in D). "Sport" turns traction control off which is good but putting your car in S just changes the shift points which at the track generally will slow you down because your car becomes harder to launch without spinning.

So optimal imo is "Sport" mode with the car in D. Launch at 1.5k, roll in and mash the gas. I would love to hear any opinions ppl may have about this, I am not a veteran at the track by any means.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette

From what I seen in S mode it will downshift more agressivly than in D. Will also not shift into 6th. But outside of that it seems to hold gears longer in S as well. Either way I spend most of my time in paddle mode or D when I am going to work. Have not hit the track yet but I would prob use the paddles.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
The modes just manipulate the pedal input vs pedal output so that less actual pedal movement feels like more power. At WOT 100% pedal is 100% in all modes.

In D, if you are trying to control wheel spin with pedal, you may cause it to upshift a bit easier than in S as shifts are based on output shaft speed and not how fast the vehicle is actually going. The different modes may help different people avoid the upshift as the pedal input/output works with what they are doing with their foot better. For this reason most find leaving traction control in sport mode and letting the ECU regulate the engine power a bit and keeping their foot on the floor works better than turning it off and having the transmission shift a bunch up and down right off the line. Others fix the actual issue with stickier tires.

In D the torque convertor clutch slips in first and second. In S the torque convertor clutch regulates slip in 2nd. because of this D can actually be a little faster in second gear than S.

Both D and S are set to automatically shift at the same points WOT. So unless you use the paddles there shouldn't be a difference unless you are not pushing the pedal to the floor.

This is based on the stock tune. If you have a tune this may not apply, but most tuners don't mess to much with TCC and shift maps in a email tune as people are usually very sensitive and picky about these changes. Get a recommendation for your tuner about the best setup for the best time.
Sponsored