ROUTE 66 Road Rally April 16th 2016

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2
Who wants to do a "Road Rally" with your GT350's starting Saturday April 16th 2016? (snow should be gone and the weather perfect !Here are the locations we can meet and stop? Drive as long as you want. If we get enough people I'm sure we can get several sponsors. Taxes are over NO excuses !!:cheers::headbang::shrug: Who is in?
R66Map.JPG
Sponsored

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
Too bad you are only inviting GT 350's.
Looks interesting.

Swamp Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep Liberty
Why not call it something like "The Route 66 Mustang Spring Stampede" (if that's not already taken somewhere else) and invite all Ford Mustangs of any model or year. I have no doubt you'd get a crowd of takers.

OP
OP
R 350 gt Donson

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Why not call it something like "The Route 66 Mustang Spring Stampede" (if that's not already taken somewhere else) and invite all Ford Mustangs of any model or year. I have no doubt you'd get a crowd of takers.
YOUR Absolutely RIGHT, let get anyone with a Mustang GT, Shelby, 6G who shows up....why not There are too many good looking STANG's out there for everyone not to be invited. Great idea:headbonk: sorry for not thinking of that :hail:

OP
OP
R 350 gt Donson

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Great idea..lets do it ! GREAT name of it too....I officially re-name it....better go check and make sure thats not taken...be right back !

Sponsored

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
Where are you starting (traditionally it is Chicago to LA)?
I will warn you--all 4 runs with Mustangs Across America in April (1994, 2004, 2009, and 2014) from Calif/NV to eastern MCA show sites (Nashville, Charlotte) HAVE hit weather (including snow in 94, 04 and 09).

I would use this upcoming April as a gauge. This might be a great run for June or July (summer vacation time for most) if you really want to attract a substantial group of Mustangs. I know everyone wants to set things up around April 17th but that date really brings restrictions up North (and even in the south).

OP
OP
R 350 gt Donson

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Here is an idea, I am open to hearing anything, I'm kind thinking out loud.
1) we meet at respective points on the map (which can be change to fit our needs)
2) we meet at a FORD dealership in each of the points (if a dealership is not at that "point/marker" we change to to a location where a FORD dealer is.
3) we get a FORD dealer's to sponsor a dinner/lunch for us, kinda like a car show etc... As one set of cars come in, others are waiting at that point/marker and we leave as a group to the next point/marker on the map. If you can not go any farther on the "R 66MSS" you can head to your respective destination/s any ideas...

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
I would be interested....never done anything like this before.

Backorder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan...:-(
Sounds interesting and fun, I'll be a "maybe" depends on what the house CEO says about it when the time comes :-D

Sponsored

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
Looks like it would start in your home town...does not Route 66 being there?
From what I understand yes it does. Originally it terminated at Lake Shore Drive. There is an official sign marked Route 66 Begin in the downtown area (Adams near Michigan Avenue) Lots of cool scenery, restaurants nearby. On the negative side traffic and parking is a bitch and a half.

OP
OP
R 350 gt Donson

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Where are you starting (traditionally it is Chicago to LA)?
I will warn you--all 4 runs with Mustangs Across America in April (1994, 2004, 2009, and 2014) from Calif/NV to eastern MCA show sites (Nashville, Charlotte) HAVE hit weather (including snow in 94, 04 and 09).

I would use this upcoming April as a gauge. This might be a great run for June or July (summer vacation time for most) if you really want to attract a substantial group of Mustangs. I know everyone wants to set things up around April 17th but that date really brings restrictions up North (and even in the south).[

Very true..also kids are out of school. ......I was thinking of the heat. ...but you can not have everything. ...would definitely have time to plan this out

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
I'll float this idea for ya (easy to do when your not organizing the event and trying to make everyone happy-know that rule going in-you won't).

Maybe a tie into the Woodward events in Chicago. Start in Chicago (traditional approach to Route 66 heading west) at the Woodward festival (late August?)-treat it as the 'kick off" event and then head west on 66 over a 12-14 day run (keep daily miles low to allow time to stop and see the sites). Western state folks could head east via quick Northern route (80) to Chicago and then cruise west...East Coast folks could do the reverse and cruise 66 and then beeline it home.

Full round trip run would be a 3 weekish event. Ending in Cali you could plan a "last day" party at say Saleen...to borrow from the Hot Rod Power Tour concept--have "long haul" awards for those making the entire run.

Depending upon scheduling (kids/school) you may have to do the reverse to start earlier in August and start in Cali and end in Chicago at the Woodard festival (closing event) and then the beelines home.

OP
OP
R 350 gt Donson

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
I'll float this idea for ya (easy to do when your not organizing the event and trying to make everyone happy-know that rule going in-you won't).

Maybe a tie into the Woodward events in Chicago. Start in Chicago (traditional approach to Route 66 heading west) at the Woodward festival (late August?)-treat it as the 'kick off" event and then head west on 66 over a 12-14 day run (keep daily miles low to allow time to stop and see the sites). Western state folks could head east via quick Northern route (80) to Chicago and then cruise west...East Coast folks could do the reverse and cruise 66 and then beeline it home.

Full round trip run would be a 3 weekish event. Ending in Cali you could plan a "last day" party at say Saleen...to borrow from the Hot Rod Power Tour concept--have "long haul" awards for those making the entire run.

Depending upon scheduling (kids/school) you may have to do the reverse to start earlier in August and start in Cali and end in Chicago at the Woodard festival (closing event) and then the beelines home.
Great Idea...To be honest...I was just thinking about doing one or 2 dots on the map, and then head home..Im happy just meeting 5 drivers, or 100 drivers. My only concern is if we make it into a full fledged event, someone (not me../ alone..lol) will have to plan it. What I envisioned was, or rather what I view it as a way to be part of the train that goes down Route 66, from IL to CA, Have different dates/time we meet as specific places etc...meet a cool group of guys that share the same passion for CAR (all of them)
I know one thing and that is if you get a group of car enthusiasts (FORD) you will get vendors that will want to be/get involved. I believe the best way to proceed is to continue to get feedback like we have been getting so far, and get a feeling on who thinks they are up for this and what month works best for the majority. we have plenty of time to get ideas. FYI (I by no means nominate myself as an leader of this event, if you all want me to "Chair it" for a while or to the end, this is completely in your hands, I will happy concede to anyone,:hail: I just think it would be FUN, and a chance to see some cool cars, and meet some cool guys.:cheers:
Sponsored