Removing a shift knob that Loctite was used on

CrummyArchitect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP, 401A, "MGNETO"
So I have a 50th Anniversary shift knob I got from CJ Pony Parts last year, and I used their instructions and installed it with the Loctite on it. Now I'm trying to take it off because I picked up the JPM Coachworks Alcantara interior trim (also from CJPP) and wanting to install the shift boot and need to remove the knob. I watched the install video CJPP put up, and it looks like their shift knob came off pretty easily - I'm guessing they didn't use the Loctite. :shrug:

Any suggestions how I can get it off and salvage the shift knob?
Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
grown man strength! i gotta get my 50 years off too for mgw install next month...

SpaceGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Cover it with one of those rubber grippers for opening jars and use channel locks if necessary.

T-S550-X

Threads
Reaction score
DFW, Texas, USA, Planet Earth, Milkyway Galaxy
First Name
Naji
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2015 Mustang GT PP
It all depends on what type of loctite you used. If blue, then I'd say just grab it and wrench it off. If red you might be screwed. I cringed a bit watching the amount of red loctite Bill threw on one of the install vids.....:eyebulge:

If hand strength is an issue, you might consider trying one of these:

http://www.waterfilters.net/adjustable-strap-wrench-6890034.html?mkwid=B9hxd7ZY&pcrid=68246673619&device=c&utm_source=google&utm_medium=pla&utm_campaign=%28ROI%29+Shopping&gclid=CjwKEAjw3qu5BRC-0uCw8O6Y5zcSJAA_WtdLeePfWXJFBxHeHQnc2nVYdkVCKChO96IPbkIUT3AOWRoCc7Tw_wcB

So I have a 50th Anniversary shift knob I got from CJ Pony Parts last year, and I used their instructions and installed it with the Loctite on it. Now I'm trying to take it off because I picked up the JPM Coachworks Alcantara interior trim (also from CJPP) and wanting to install the shift boot and need to remove the knob. I watched the install video CJPP put up, and it looks like their shift knob came off pretty easily - I'm guessing they didn't use the Loctite. :shrug:

Any suggestions how I can get it off and salvage the shift knob?

OP
OP
CrummyArchitect

CrummyArchitect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
It all depends on what type of loctite you used. If blue, then I'd say just grab it and wrench it off. If red you might be screwed. I cringed a bit watching the amount of red loctite Bill threw on one of the install vids.....:eyebulge:

If hand strength is an issue, you might consider trying one of these:

http://www.waterfilters.net/adjustable-strap-wrench-6890034.html?mkwid=B9hxd7ZY&pcrid=68246673619&device=c&utm_source=google&utm_medium=pla&utm_campaign=%28ROI%29+Shopping&gclid=CjwKEAjw3qu5BRC-0uCw8O6Y5zcSJAA_WtdLeePfWXJFBxHeHQnc2nVYdkVCKChO96IPbkIUT3AOWRoCc7Tw_wcB
Yeah it was red... :mad:

Sponsored

OP
OP
CrummyArchitect

CrummyArchitect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
grown man strength! i gotta get my 50 years off too for mgw install next month...
I thought that might work. But I think I ended up spraining my wrist and elbow... but it might be because I'm just getting old.

OP
OP
CrummyArchitect

CrummyArchitect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
Cover it with one of those rubber grippers for opening jars and use channel locks if necessary.
I thought of those, but I don't have any. I do have some of that anti slip fabric stuff, but it didn't give.

351MachOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
If you used blue, no amount of band strength will get the ball loose. The fine thread of the handle provides so much surface area to bond. The ball is glossy and smooth and makes getting any amount of grip nearly impossible.

I went through this nightmare at MGW. You will start to bend the connecting components before long.

Wrap your knob with tape, get the channel locks, and rip it off.

Good luck with red... shits gonna break.

DevilDogDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB 6spd Ruby Red
IIRC Red holds until heated to 500f so good luck with that.

Sponsored

Sixth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Hey guys, a good idea once you do get your knobs off. When reinstalling the knobs do not use any loctite at all. Instead use a nut as a locking washer. I got this idea from Modern billet when I purchased their shift knob. I am currently using their idea with my ford racing shift knob. The nut isn't the regular fat nut. It is slimmer and it threads all the way down (or where however you want to adjust it for correct orientation of the knob). Then the knob threads on top of that tightening onto the washer. Still has clearance for the reverse lock out. I can't remember the size of the nut or the thread pitch though.

SK GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT(sold), 17 1LE
LOL i was just gotta post saying just ask [MENTION=11082]TheDivaDanielle[/MENTION]

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
so you used red?

you're fucked. Order a new shift knob

also order that MGW Shifter while you're at it too.

I still contend that when I did it on a three day or so old car, it was my subconscious just making me order my MGW Shifter.

As some of you may have noticed from my build thread, I'd thrown a ton of money at my car so far, and of all the things I've done, the MGW Shifter has easily been the best thing I've done, period. I'm still far from done with the car, but i have a feeling it'll remain the #1 most car improving thing I've done.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
good luck man, I cant imagine why they'd instruct anyone to use red loctite on a shift knob smh
Sponsored