Sponsored

Recommendations: shop to put on stripes?

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
Ok, so I'm in the Sicklerville/Williamstown/Turnersville area of NJ, and, having just gotten my 2015 GT, I'd like a bit of striping.

I'm thinking of going with the dual over-the-top stripes. I'm also considering the "Boss-like" side stripes that I've seen on one forum member's car, though I don't know if there's a particular Ford part number for that or not.

In any case, is there anyone relatively local to my area that knows of and would recommend (or, warn me against) any particular shops in the area that can apply the stripes?

Before anyone asks . . I am not doing them because I'd like them to go on straight, with no rippling, etc., and I can only imagine the disaster if I use the Mustang as my "applying stripes learning experience."

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Knuckles-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt deep impact blue
I had racing stripes put on my f150 by professional shop and in the Florida Sun after 3 years the vinyl faded and when I tried to get it removed it was taking the paint off right to the metal just warning ya. When I bought my 15 gt I had them painted lesson learned

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I had racing stripes put on my f150 by professional shop and in the Florida Sun after 3 years the vinyl faded and when I tried to get it removed it was taking the paint off right to the metal just warning ya. When I bought my 15 gt I had them painted lesson learned
exactly why im holding back. literally bought my stripes and chickened out

OP
OP

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
Hmm, well, mine's going to mostly be a weekend only car, and in the garage the rest of the time.

Still, if my 1974 Dart Sport, with the vinyl (presumably, I don't actually know what they were made of) factory stripes held up without issues for about 20 years (I had the car in the early 90s) then what the heck are they doing wrong these days??

Now I'm hesitant. So my question might be amended to "or, recommendations of places in the area that can paint on stripes similar to what I'm looking for"

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
Buying vinyl from a reputable company, and then importantly following the care instructions will not mess up the vinyl for many many years.

All auto vinyl has a UV protecting layer so that is does not fade. If you are careless with washing/polishing/clay bar, etc. then you will strip off this protecting layer, leading to ugly fade, drying, and cracking.

Long story short, if money is no object and you don't care about taking them off ever, paint away.

Otherwise get vinyl and take care of it properly. It's not hard at all, you just have to be aware of what you can't do to it when washing.

Sponsored

BigWormGraphix

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigwormgraphix.com
First Name
Team BigWorm
Vehicle(s)
>=2005 muscle cars - camaro, mustang, challengers
If the correct vinyl is used then vinyl can be removed with no damage to the paint. If you use sign vinyl instead of automotive vinyl then you can damage your paint or create a big mess when you remove the stripes (adhesive all over the place). Automotive vinyl is cast vinyl instead of calendered vinyl. Calendered vinyl is intended for short term sign use, it is a lot cheaper than cast vinyl. Since it's intended purpose is short term signs, the adhesive is a lot different than cast vinyl. In sunny warm climates like Florida, California, Texas, etc. the sun is very hard on paint and vinyl which causes the vinyl to age faster - especially metallic colors. Matte colors will last longer in a hot sunny environment. Using spray detailer on the vinyl will help extend the life of the vinyl.

BigWormGraphix

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigwormgraphix.com
First Name
Team BigWorm
Vehicle(s)
Buying vinyl from a reputable company, and then importantly following the care instructions will not mess up the vinyl for many many years.

All auto vinyl has a UV protecting layer so that is does not fade. If you are careless with washing/polishing/clay bar, etc. then you will strip off this protecting layer, leading to ugly fade, drying, and cracking.

Long story short, if money is no object and you don't care about taking them off ever, paint away.

Otherwise get vinyl and take care of it properly. It's not hard at all, you just have to be aware of what you can't do to it when washing.
Didn't see your reply before I typed that all out. Much better explanation than my rather long story, shorter and to the point.

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
Didn't see your reply before I typed that all out. Much better explanation than my rather long story, shorter and to the point.
Didn't know you guys were on here! I'll be honest, I learned half of the care stuff from you guys, since I just ordered stripes from you last week, and you package that little care sheet with it :thumbsup:

I got those matte black ones with the custom yellow pin stripes :D

BigWormGraphix

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigwormgraphix.com
First Name
Team BigWorm
Vehicle(s)
Didn't know you guys were on here! I'll be honest, I learned half of the care stuff from you guys, since I just ordered stripes from you last week, and you package that little care sheet with it :thumbsup:

I got those matte black ones with the custom yellow pin stripes :D
Cool, if you don't mind email or post some pictures. We could use some more picture with yellow stripes.

Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Will do! I'm shooting for getting it done next week.

Just trying to find a shop near me as well! lol
If you're having trouble finding a shop, try some window tinting places. A lot of them will do it for you, even if they don't list it as a service.

OP
OP

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd hope that the ones ordered from Ford that are on their accessories website would be the correct automotive vinyl!

OP
OP

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmm, well, I'd never planned on removing them.... i guess it depends on how much extra money it would be to determine whether or not it counts as "no object"!
Sponsored