Sponsored

Recall and Immediate Stop Sale on 8,026 GT350 and GT350R Models: Engine Oil Cooler

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
Interesting, drill holes in the splitter to protect it!! Hahaha
I've seen low friction plastics used in an easy to replace manner to protect stuff before, "rivets" would just be an easy way if a bit less useful than a whole strip at the contact point.

In this case however, ford made the whole base GT350 splitter cheap enough to replace the whole thing if you manage to maul it bad enough.
Sponsored

petstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT350 TP Magnetic w OTT Black Stripes
Last episode of my recall saga...after spending 8 hours at the dealership the first appointment where they messed up my car...a second appointment where they cleaned the mess and verified the recall install...I had to go back a 3rd time yesterday to reinstall the front splitter. When I washed my car over the weekend I saw a gap between the front bumper and the splitter and as so many of you have experienced, I immediately thought that wasn't right. I know that many of you told me to turn my back to this dealership and do things myself or go somewhere else..and I probably should have listened to that advise but nevertheless...
When I called this Monday the dealership, I had a hard time to explain what was wrong...the service manager did not understand the word "splitter", after I pointed out that there was a Youtube video that explained the correct installation of the GT350 splitter he said: " ah you mean the air dam ? "..whatever. He asked me to come in again and they would do the reinstall. When I arrived, they put the car up and the service manager and a technician started to look at the front of the car. At first they couldn't see any issue ! When I told them that there was the gap, they seem to be surprised. I said that they didn't reinstall it correctly when they either did the recall or the cleanup ? The technician replied that couldn't be the case because quote: " the splitter does not need to come off for the recall"...what ???? I said if that would be the case they didn't follow the official Ford instructions and he replied..."but I did not do the recall work on your car"
In any case, splitter was reinstalled correctly - no they did not watched the youtube video as they didn't know how to take off the splitter ?!?
Just wanted to share the bad experience and hope Ford officials follow this forum. I will not go back to this dealership for any work.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Im at the dealer and just handed the key over so the Shelby can go under the knife.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I just have to laugh, because Im sitting here and someone brought in a Euro Spec Mustang GT with a Shelby Badge on the grill and V8 badges on tge fenders above the 5.0 badges.

I can almost understand the V8 badges because V8s are rare in euro but the the Shelby badge?

Rusty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
Sorry to hear about your poor dealership experience. I did the install myself just to avoid your experience. Having done mine, you cannot replace the oil cooler lines assembly without removing the splitter. The last six screws at the back of the splitter also partially hold the belly pan in place and the belly ban must be removed. I used race ramps which were a huge help but the job still requires some time on the garage floor. It's not fun, but doable. Your recall is done now, so good for you.

Sponsored

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I was just looking at the window sticker for the 2017 I recently purchased. "Blend date" on it is 9/19/16.

Would this car need the recall procedure done on it? How can I tell if it was done already before I took possession?

84venom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 2016 GT350 TP DIB w/White Stripes
I was just looking at the window sticker for the 2017 I recently purchased. "Blend date" on it is 9/19/16.

Would this car need the recall procedure done on it? How can I tell if it was done already before I took possession?
Go to ford.com and register with your VIN.. Then you will see if there are any outstanding recalls. Or just call your dealer and give the service folks your VIN.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Go to ford.com and register with your VIN.. Then you will see if there are any outstanding recalls. Or just call your dealer and give the service folks your VIN.

Thanks, I did check the government site listed in the first page, shows no open recalls. The ford links on that page are dead.

I'll try what you suggested.

EDIT: I went into the Ford app on my phone, splash page showed an open recall. I thought it was for the GT350, turns out whoever has my 2014 GT500 still hasn't had the airbag updated.

FORDSTANGER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP
As I sit here at the dealer waiting for them to put it back on the lift because they forgot a splitter bolt and left oily had prints all over the splitter. I asked them if they have the instructions and they said 'of course, our techs are certified'. Oh and they only clocked 1.25 hours for the job on the invoice.

Rusty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
Having done this job myself, albeit, on ramps and crawling on the garage floor, I find it amazing that they did it in one hour. It's not the cooler lines themselves, but putting the belly pan and splitter on that can consume time. Still, you are left waiting for them to correctly finish the job. Good for you that the recall is done and hopefully, 100% correctly.

Sponsored

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
I had the recall work done last week. Everything went well. They kept the car the entire day and took their time with it. Had a complimentary rental Fiesta, so I didn't mind. Front splitter was reinstalled perfectly, every bolt back on as it should be. All fluids were topped off and the car was as clean as when I brought it in, which was near spotless.

I maybe in the minority, but I'm completely satisfied with my Ford dealer and their service department.

(I had my first oil change done by them last fall and they already knew they had to torque the oil filter back then as well.)

FORDSTANGER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP
They had the car for 3 hours. But only reported less. Not sure what this means but the Svc rep said something about 1/10th for warranty? Fuzzy math. I don't blame him, just the tech idiot.

I had them open the filter access door and guess what? Oil everywhere.

They are pulling the pan down again. I told them DO NOT fog the area with the one can on cleaner charged to the warranty.

I know better, just sharing the pain for everyone's entertainment.

I should have done this myself. Unless you really know your tech, I'd warn everyone again.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I just talked to a gentleman in Alberta regarding caliper studs and I asked him if he had done the recall. He told me that he only tracks the car (and quite a bit at that) and that he was aware of the recall but hadn't gotten his car in. Last week at about 140mph on the track he immediately saw smoke everywhere "like a James Bond car." He knew what it was and pulled over. Took an hour to clean the track of oil. Upon closer inspection, his original cooler hose blew completely out of the crimped fitting on the pressure side where it goes into the cooler itself. I think he said he was at ~8,000 rpm when it happened but that all is well now.

He also mentioned that his was one of the first GT350's in Canada and that it was a Tech Pack car that went into limp mode on it's first track outing. He plumbed both tranny and diff coolers and all is well now.

Nice, eh?

Rusty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
Mspeedster I'm glad you had good luck in your recall service. When I bought my car, the splitter was improperly installed (missing screws) and the tires over inflated by 10 psi. I guess if a repair/service is something I can do, I enjoy the experience and learn something as well.

earlSpilner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base (arriving Dec 2015)
I just talked to a gentleman in Alberta regarding caliper studs and I asked him if he had done the recall. He told me that he only tracks the car (and quite a bit at that) and that he was aware of the recall but hadn't gotten his car in. Last week at about 140mph on the track he immediately saw smoke everywhere "like a James Bond car." He knew what it was and pulled over. Took an hour to clean the track of oil. Upon closer inspection, his original cooler hose blew completely out of the crimped fitting on the pressure side where it goes into the cooler itself. I think he said he was at ~8,000 rpm when it happened but that all is well now.

He also mentioned that his was one of the first GT350's in Canada and that it was a Tech Pack car that went into limp mode on it's first track outing. He plumbed both tranny and diff coolers and all is well now.

Nice, eh?
I was there at the track that day with mine. I got my recall booked in at the earliest opportunity after seeing his failure. My car is raced and daily driven 6-7 months of the year.
Sponsored