Sponsored

Recall and Immediate Stop Sale on 8,026 GT350 and GT350R Models: Engine Oil Cooler

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Ambiguity, and why I hate it. Ford's press release wording...

Ford said:
...engine oil cooler tube assemblies may have insufficient crimps on the hose that could lead to a hose separation and an oil leak.
The oil filter adapter has two hoses than run forward to the oil cooler "mini radiator."

In the following photo:

#30 is the oil filter adapter
#31 is the oil cooler NOTE: That isn't used on 5.2 engines!
#32 is the oil filter

Edited to remove even more ambiguity. Some Ford parts photos show redundancy that simply isn't correct.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Its like Ford is kicking me while I am down. Day 42 without my car, no engine, un-drivable, broken lol

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Ambiguity, and why I hate it. Ford's press release wording...

The oil cooler is sandwiched between the oil filter and the oil filter adapter (which bolts to the block). The oil cooler does not have permanently attached hoses to it and the hoses are available separately. There are two elbows swaged into the cooler tube (assembly) that allow hoses to be attached. Those two hoses circulate coolant.

The oil filter adapter has two hoses than run forward to the oil cooler "mini radiator."

In the following photo:

#30 is the oil filter adapter
#31 is the oil cooler
#32 is the oil filter

In the next photo:

#6B850B is the hose assembly that attaches the oil cooler radiator to the oil filter adapter

#6B851/6B850A connect the oil cooler to a radiator hose that circulates coolant

The wording from Ford is not 100% clear on whether this is the oil cooler or any hose that connects to it.
The crimp to the fitting is mentioned so I would assume it is a hose

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The crimp to the fitting is mentioned so I would assume it is a hose
As such, it should have been worded clearer. If it is a hose and we are going to assume, then is it the pair of coolant hoses or the hose assembly leading forward to the small radiator?

More on ambiguity that has driven me nuts since day one.

Jalopnik said:
According to the guy behind the wheel, Joe “HiPo Joe” Charles, a snap ring in his Mustang GT350's oil cooler thermostat failed while he was driving hot lamps around Roebling Road back in April. The failed snap ring caused a plug to be pushed out of the oil filter adapter housing, sending loads of oil out of the engine.

Joe has intimated that his failure was a snap ring in his oil cooler thermostat (of which there isn't one). There is a large plug that is retained by a snap ring (that has nothing to do with the sending unit) on the oil filter adapter. Regardless, it may be prudent to take a close look to ensure your own snap ring is fully seated in its respective groove the next time you change your oil filter (if not earlier).

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An example of what I would assumed (initially anyway) was the issue, a fitting to hose "crimped" assembly. Shown is the hose assembly that leads forward to the small radiator from the oil filter adapter.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thanks for the heads up T. I wonder how they will identify the specific vehicles since they were all made at the same place.
The recall is on 2015-2017 GT350 and GT350Rs built between February 24, 2015 and August 30, 2016, 50 Deep. All recalls are VIN specific.

How do we determine, or where do we look for our build date?
You can check your build date on your door jamb or you may PM me with your VIN and I’ll check on it for you, TonyJ5150.

Fix will happen at the first quarter of 2017?:shrug: does that mean dealers can't sell these for over 2 months?
It seems odd they would stop sales and test drives but allow use to drive around till next year with the issue
Why are they stopping the sale of the ones sitting at dealers prior to Sept? Makes no sense if they didn't fix the current. I'd say keep them all.
That is correct, 02gtnh. Federal law requires dealers to complete this recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to a buyer or lessee, guys. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $21,000 per vehicle.

Just logged onto owner.ford.com and saw it listed for my car (it has my vin #). :( So if I understand correctly, there's no fix for this yet? Also, if that's the case, what happens if something does happen while waiting for this fix?
Correct, altjx. A complete Dealer Bulletin will be provided to dealers in the 1st Quarter 2017, when it is anticipated that parts ordering information and repair instructions will be available to support this safety recall. If anything is to happen in the meantime, you should bring your vehicle in to your dealer. They will get further instructions on how to address the situation.

So it looks to affect many cars. Maybe all that have the oil cooler installed. The questions is, does this issue mean we shouldn't drive our cars until fixed?
This has not been mentioned in any of the recent information provided, jdydiesel.

Interesting but then why notify everyone now instead of waiting? and create bad press that won't get solved for months, possibly hurt sales, resale values, and open them up to possible claims by not telling people to stop driving their cars or stop selling post-September cars even though they knew about the problem? why not wait until the fix is ready or is there some kind of legal obligation to do so now? If that's the case it would seem they should also be obligated to tell anyone buying the ones outside of those build dates that their cars may be affected too.
Technically customers are going to be notified via mail in December, DruidBlack. However, due to the amazingness and speeds of the interwebs you know a little sooner. Since it was “leaked,” then the company must address it publicly.

If anyone wants to check if your vehicle is part of this recall, check your VIN here.

Deysha

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
I was going to go to RA with Chin after Turkey day with the Rustang but will take one of my other cars instead. Here is the reason why. I am sure Ford would cover the Rustang under warrenty if I blew the line on track, which is where IMHO it is most likely to happen, and could potentially total my car with oiling down the rear wheels or fire. WHAT Ford wouldn't cover is any cars that were damaged, by my Stupidity in taking a defective car, in the resultant oiling down of the racing surface. I have had 2 6GT3's with the infamous glued in coolant fittings and have seen the results of cars that have blown a fitting while on track. It is hard to look your buddies in the face when they come to you and ask why your negligence in not fixing the fittings resulted in them wrecking.

I will now get off my Soap Box so this thread can return to its speculation on which line is bad and why it will take 3+ months to address this recall.

Peter

Julio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 (Ford Mustang Shelby)
Vehicle Showcase
The recall is on 2015-2017 GT350 and GT350Rs built between February 24, 2015 and August 30, 2016, 50 Deep. All recalls are VIN specific.

You can check your build date on your door jamb or you may PM me with your VIN and I’ll check on it for you, TonyJ5150.

That is correct, 02gtnh. Federal law requires dealers to complete this recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to a buyer or lessee, guys. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $21,000 per vehicle.

Correct, altjx. A complete Dealer Bulletin will be provided to dealers in the 1st Quarter 2017, when it is anticipated that parts ordering information and repair instructions will be available to support this safety recall. If anything is to happen in the meantime, you should bring your vehicle in to your dealer. They will get further instructions on how to address the situation.

This has not been mentioned in any of the recent information provided, jdydiesel.

Technically customers are going to be notified via mail in December, DruidBlack. However, due to the amazingness and speeds of the interwebs you know a little sooner. Since it was “leaked,” then the company must address it publicly.

If anyone wants to check if your vehicle is part of this recall, check your VIN here.

Deysha
Thank you Deysha, just PMed you

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Its like Ford is kicking me while I am down. Day 42 without my car, no engine, un-drivable, broken lol
Agreed. I'm at day 26 without mine. The servicing dealer has had my new engine for 9 business days so far and all they've managed to do is pull my old engine out. Whenever they finish my engine swap I still have to wait for them to fix my rear bumper fitment and do the cooled seats TSB. And then now this! Love it

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

Deysha
Hi [MENTION=7992]FordService[/MENTION];

Is it possible that some vehicles (like mine) are not affected, although they are manufactured early this year (April in my case ) ?
Your link shows my vin clean of recalls , here it is:

1FA6P8JZ7G5524718

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
If the issue is a hose crimp then anyone concerned could easily go to your local auto parts store and add a tighter hose clamp in the mean time. Assuming it would be tight enough to add some holding capacity.

It doesn't look like the fix from ford will be anymore than a new hose and clamps

Anyone gotten under there to look yet?

DruidBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT

Deysha
Thank u Deysha. The "leak" may have pushed them to address it publicly but they still notified dealers way ahead of when the fix is expected. It's not like the leak pushed Ford to stop sales they did that themselves well before Q1 2017.

I guess that's my question I and many others on here have, whether that means the newer cars outside of these build dates have been fixed and are not affected by this recall. Also why it's not ALL cars within those dates?

i'd be more confident buying now if I knew it's confirmed the issue is not present on any of the new cars that are allowed to be sold.

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
Oil Pressure/Recall ???

My Track pack is part of the recall. My question is if the oil pressure drops significantly will the engine notify itself and shut down.

:ford::ford::ford:
Sponsored