Sponsored

Recall and Immediate Stop Sale on 8,026 GT350 and GT350R Models: Engine Oil Cooler

IA350

Ruby Voodoo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby GT, 2017 GT350
Are there any pictures of the connection ? Why not put a extra clamp on the hose to make sure it doesn't come loose. I'm looking into doing this. 3 to 4 months seems way to long for the solution.
I would also like to see a picture of the oil cooler tube they are talking about. Isn't this cooler in the front of the car? I wonder if the whole front bumper has to be removed?
Sponsored

Julio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 (Ford Mustang Shelby)
Vehicle Showcase
It is not showing on the Ford site either. See below.
OK Thanks a lot !!
I wonder if it's because mine is not included (suprising given its date) or if it is no more in Ford listings because considered exported....

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
So they rolled this change into the line after August? My car was 9/21 build, will look up the VIN
That is apparently the case but since they say they have no fix, not sure how the later cars can be fixed since they don't have one. Seems to be double talk to me.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
"What this VIN search tool does NOT cover:
International vehicles"

Mine doesn't show up either cause we have Canadian cars...

chances are we are affected too
Dan...did you try it on the Ford link? I tried on the other one and mine didn't appear either...tried it on the Ford site and sure enough its on there...I suspect maybe Canadian cars are not on the other list as its a US transportation agency...probably doesn't include Canadian VINs....sorry if I ruined your day...
So after registering and checking up the first link provided at the beginning of this thread, looks like mine is part of the recall.

So thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!

viva_brasil

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nik
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
Mine does not appear to be part of the recall, 9/21 build date.

This is a fairly simple issue, the hose needs an extra crimp on the fitting. I am fairly certain this is a supplier issue that they resolved with the hose supplier (instructed them to add an extra crimp or two on the fitting). All hoses landing at the assembly plant after a certain date (Aug 30th) will have this updated fitting.

I imagine what is still pending from now till Q1 2017 is the dealer-facing stuff. The dealer materials / training to perform the fix, once they figure out how to even do the fix (is it just adding a crimp - doubt it... for the new line, how exactly should it be done to ensure consistency across all the dealers).

disclaimer: this is all my personal speculation. But I work in product development and understand car parts, so I'm guessing / interpreting what's going on. Hope it helps

Last edited:

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
So, this must be the reason for all those engine failures/oil leaks and that one GT350 that caught fire on the track while the guy was driving it.
I hope they get it all squared away for future buyers. :thumbsup:
UHHHHHH, NO! and most definitely not in my case.

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
That's ridiculous. They're not going to say "eh, these cars are probably good" just to prevent an extra few hundred vehicles from sitting on lots. I'm pretty sure that would be illegal as well. No, they don't believe those cars to be subject to the recall because they believe them to not have the issue (which would mean a parts or process change).
~6000 for 2016. ~2000 so far for 2017. Seems right in line.
Updated first post with Ford's press release. A little more detail on the numbers:

"Affected vehicles include certain 2015-17 Ford Shelby GT350/R Mustang vehicles built at Flat Rock Assembly Plant, Feb. 24, 2015 to Aug. 30, 2016. There are approximately 8,026 vehicles affected, including 6,523 in the United States, 957 in Canada 346 in Mexico and 59 in federalized territories."
Ridiculous? Right.. Because they are going to send out a recall that would prevent approximately 4000 more 2017 sales (350's + R's) and put them on delay for numerous months... not a few hundred cars, several thousand.

Funny, how there has been roughly 8000 or so GT350's/R's produced in total give or take a few, including the rough 5500 non-R + 500ish R's and the 2000 or so already built for 2017, and wait, is that over 8000 vehicles supposedly affected? What a coincidence.

Basic logic, Ford says they have no fix, and won't for months. If new cars had an updated part that resolved the problem, they wouldn't make current owners wait 4-5 months; in fact, current owners would get priority on those parts over new cars being built. Therefore, same part going on new cars. :headbonk:

I'd be willing to bet on the newer vehicles also being subjected to a recall in the future, once the majority are already produced.

viva_brasil

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nik
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
That is apparently the case but since they say they have no fix, not sure how the later cars can be fixed since they don't have one. Seems to be double talk to me.
Yes sir, silly how some can even think that the newer ones have some new part that alleviates the issue, yet there is no current fix for current owners. Blatantly obvious to me, they determined the risk was low enough that they would continue to sell the cars, and just fix them at a later date.

DruidBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Interesting but then why notify everyone now instead of waiting? and create bad press that won't get solved for months, possibly hurt sales, resale values, and open them up to possible claims by not telling people to stop driving their cars or stop selling post-September cars even though they knew about the problem? why not wait until the fix is ready or is there some kind of legal obligation to do so now? If that's the case it would seem they should also be obligated to tell anyone buying the ones outside of those build dates that their cars may be affected too.

live2ride90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I wonder if the fix will take as long as the tech cars cooler fix?

I think when I take mine in I will tell them " don't you know about the recall on the tech cars? Oh no? You need to put in a transmission cooler as well, cool thanks I will pick it up in a couple days"

I am still going to drive mine, if it breaks they can fix it.
Sponsored