Sponsored

Rear end chatter when cold?

kratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'56 Victoria, Tahoe, '16 GT350
Anyone else feel what seems like chatter from the rear when turning out onto the main road very first thing in the morning? I'm assuming it's the stone-cold diff that I'm feeling.
Sponsored

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
If it's could could be piston slap your hearing or you could have the same issue I have, inbad exhaust valve that rattles when closed. Are you noticing the sounds with the baffles open?

OP
OP
kratty

kratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, it's not a sound. It's the feeling/sensation of skipping/chatter when making the turn out onto a main road and beginning to accelerate up to speed. Almost as if the tires are skipping, which I suppose it could be, but it only happens on the very first turn of the morning when the car is completely cold.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's not the rear diff, it's the characteristic of the Super Sport tires that you can feel when they are spinning in colder temps or in the wet. I believe it's the way the grooves are cut in the tires that you can feel it, because I haven't noticed that feeling in other high performance tires I've owned. I think it's nice having a secondary way (other than the yellow dash light) of knowing you are spinning the tires in low traction situations. I put the SS tires on my 2011 GT and I could feel the same thing happening when the rear tires were spinning.

Ven0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, 2016 Focus RS, 2013 Raptor
I notice it with my car. To go up and down the driveway i have to cut it at approximately 60 degrees, and when going down in the morning when it's cold i get a couple of weird sounds from the diff. Doesn't happen when the car warms up. Reminds me of a locked differential when turning my truck on pavement.

Sponsored

Honus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT350 Tech
Any chance you're going uphill or downhill/fresh into the clutch?

I've noticed some chatter-type feeling from the hill-start assist. It's a weird feeling - akin to Ven0r's sensation of "locked diff." It only lasts a second though and may be different than what you describe.

dwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 white with blue stripes "H1807"
Yeah it's just how the Torsen diff acts. My performance package GT had that same sensation every time I pulled out of my driveway onto the road.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Huh, I guess it must be too subtle for me to notice. I do start my morning on a gravel road, which probably reduces the odds of me noticing a slight vibration.

OP
OP
kratty

kratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah it's just how the Torsen diff acts. My performance package GT had that same sensation every time I pulled out of my driveway onto the road.
Thanks. This is what I suspected, but just wanted to confirm with you guys.

Sponsored

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
A good LSD hates wheel speed differences regardless from where it comes from. Most fun is the old Tempo/Topaz is a part time AWD system with FWD in 2wd mode. The rear diff has a clutch LSD that is pretty tight, so you can light up the inside tire in FWD leaving parking lots by doing a very tight turn.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Still pretty cold this time of the year here, and i do get the same sound coming from the Torsen, but this is nothing compare to the piston slap especially when cold. I hate it, find it very annoying, it's like i've got a loose heat shield or something. :doh:
Sponsored