Sponsored

Rear Diff Failure?

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I will admit I don't think I have ever worked on a torsen differential, but it would not surprise me if when jacked up and load on the driveshaft one wheel could spin without moving the driveshaft. A differential has to allow the wheels to spin at different speeds to allow for cornering.
Before races I check over the car pretty thoroughly on jack stands before taking her out. When I have the car on jack stands, rotating either wheel will rotate the driveshaft - the other wheel will remain stationary. I do this every time to check bolt torque on both the half shafts and driveshaft.

OP
OP
Chummel

Chummel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Before races I check over the car pretty thoroughly on jack stands before taking her out. When I have the car on jack stands, rotating either wheel will rotate the driveshaft - the other wheel will remain stationary. I do this every time to check bolt torque on both the half shafts and driveshaft.
Is the car in neutral when you do this? When it is in gear and you try this are the wheels locked?

I really don’t want to have to put the car back together in order to figure this out.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
U can't see inside the boots of those axles,put one side in a vise and see if you can turn the outer part.The shaft could be broke and your not seeing it.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Is the car in neutral when you do this? When it is in gear and you try this are the wheels locked?

I really don’t want to have to put the car back together in order to figure this out.
In neutral. Wheels won't rotate in gear, I'm pretty sure.

Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
In neutral. Wheels won't rotate in gear, I'm pretty sure.
I think that's what we need to know. You would think if the torsen was broke there would be metal in the oil, it's not like there are clutches, it is all worm gears..

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I'd have to verify but I feel confident the answer is no, you can't move the wheels with it in gear.

OP
OP
Chummel

Chummel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
That’s what I think too, in gear the wheels should be “locked”. Since I’m still able to rotate the wheels and that motion isn’t transfered to the driveshaft, something between the wheel and the driveshaft is not functioning properly.

I’m thinking more that it might be a CV joint failure because when it came out the boot was off the CV joint, exposing the inside. You can see in the picture that the metal clamp on the top axle is not where it should be. I pulled the boot over CV joint to protect it but I’m thinking that might be where the problem is.

I’m going to test the axle when I get home.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Torsens are a different animal, if there is no load on one wheel (as in airborne) it will freewheel like an open diff. Just wondering if that could be figuring into diagnosing this problem somehow?

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Looking at those axles close up one of them is fuuuu up.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Chummel

Chummel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Looking at those axles close up one of them is fuuuu up.
Top one? That is the side I spun to do my driveshaft test. I wish I would have done the right side while it was still installed, then I would know for sure what the failure.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
U don't have to.put them back in to.cjeck them.

OP
OP
Chummel

Chummel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
True, but if I checked it while it was still in then I wouldn’t have pulled the pumpkin out.

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If there was no metal contamination in the diff fluid, I would assume its fine..

M151A2

Skinny old dude
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I would look closely at the obvious. The boot slipped way back on the top CV joint.
Compair the movement with the other short shaft. Eliminate the easiest first.
If the CV is questionable, install your take-offs and see if your problem went away.
Opening up the differential and eyeballing the sun gears is next.
Well, that’s what I would do.
Sponsored