Rattling noise coming from Front end

gavo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
gavin
Vehicle(s)
2015 ford mustang
Here recently I have been dealing with a rattling noise coming from my front end. When it started i checked for play in my tires and when i did it didn’t sound too good (video below) whenever i drive over bumps it makes a rattling noise, but the moment i press my brakes as im going over the bumps the rattling stops. I’m so lost i don’t know what it’s coming from. I put chassis ears on the lateral link( control arms) and heard a popping noise coming from it. i replaced both control arms and noise is still here. I also took the coupler off that connects steering column to the rack and shook the wheels and the play went away. and when i connected it back the noise came back. i don’t know how much play should be in the rack. i made sure everything was tight but no fix. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. So far it’s sounds like it’s something in the rack or the steering column, weird thing is my steering feels the same like it always has, i feel like if it was something in both those things my steering would be off. My alignment is also perfect as well. It’s just weird whenever i go over bumps and press of the brakes the rattling goes away. I’m just confused and i’m looking for suggestions. Thank you!

Sponsored

OP
OP
gavo

gavo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
gavin
Vehicle(s)
2015 ford mustang
Also took a video of me shaking the wheel with the car jacked up of the steering column if this helps.

al

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Rattle noises can be also it anything - but first thing that comes to my mind would be the caliper pins.

Aside from that, next would be sway bar end links.

Get the car in the safely in the air so the front wheels are suspended. Get a friend or someone to be under the car (safely supported on a lift of stands) - and get a rubber mallet. Hit the L tire with the rubber mallet to simulate road shock…. like hit it, don’t just tap it. Then do the same to the R tire. Listen for the rattles as you are hitting the sidewall or bottom of the tire Go from there to determine next steps.

OP
OP
gavo

gavo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
gavin
Vehicle(s)
2015 ford mustang
Rattle noises can be also it anything - but first thing that comes to my mind would be the caliper pins.

Aside from that, next would be sway bar end links.

Get the car in the safely in the air so the front wheels are suspended. Get a friend or someone to be under the car (safely supported on a lift of stands) - and get a rubber mallet. Hit the L tire with the rubber mallet to simulate road shock…. like hit it, don’t just tap it. Then do the same to the R tire. Listen for the rattles as you are hitting the sidewall or bottom of the tire Go from there to determine next steps.
if your don’t mind me asking, how could the caliper pins cause something like that? Thank you for the response

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
That ain't no pins!

Take the wheels off so you can get at stuff

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
any ideas?
You can never put too much coarse ground pepper on runny eggs, or too much fuel in a gas tank. Do I turn my wheels in or out when parking on the grassy knoll at Carlisle Mustang Celebration?

Oh wait.

Completely loose shock bolts, Tie rods or end links. The truth will likely reveal itself once wheels are off.

OP
OP
gavo

gavo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
gavin
Vehicle(s)
2015 ford mustang
You can never put too much coarse ground pepper on runny eggs, or too much fuel in a gas tank. Do I turn my wheels in or out when parking on the grassy knoll at Carlisle Mustang Celebration?

Oh wait.

Completely loose shock bolts, Tie rods or end links. The truth will likely reveal itself once wheels are off.
Tie rods are good, stabilizer bar is good, and the shock bolts under the hood? if so, they are also good.

OP
OP
gavo

gavo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
gavin
Vehicle(s)
2015 ford mustang
UPDATE: It was the caliper bracket hardware that holds the pads, i took off the caliper and the brake pads were moving in the hardware

That’s why whenever i pressed the brakes the rattle would stop because it would push the pad against the rotor.

Sponsored

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 07 Ford Taurus SE, 95 F250 Xlt
Are you SURE it’s pad hardware??

That might cause a clunk while braking but they play/rattling you got feels (to me) like you’ve got a bearing/bushing/ball joint that is pissed off.

How do all the joints in your steering knuckle feel? How about the wheel bearing? Sway bar bushings on chassis?

Just some more ideas from me. If it’s truly pad hardware then consider your finding a win :thumbsup:

OP
OP
gavo

gavo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
gavin
Vehicle(s)
2015 ford mustang
Are you SURE it’s pad hardware??

That might cause a clunk while braking but they play/rattling you got feels (to me) like you’ve got a bearing/bushing/ball joint that is pissed off.

How do all the joints in your steering knuckle feel? How about the wheel bearing? Sway bar bushings on chassis?

Just some more ideas from me. If it’s truly pad hardware then consider your finding a win :thumbsup:
i was experiencing a rattle noise, i changed the pad hardware and the rattle is gone. it’s because pad was loose in hardware, now the play in the tire i need to further diagnose it. I didn’t check and see if there was play in the tire after fixing rattle, will probably do that tomorrow. But the hardware was so loose that it made my caliper loose (first video is the side before i fixed hardware) (second video shows right side of car caliper how it doesn’t move as much. )

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 07 Ford Taurus SE, 95 F250 Xlt
i was experiencing a rattle noise, i changed the pad hardware and the rattle is gone. it’s because pad was loose in hardware, now the play in the tire i need to further diagnose it. I didn’t check and see if there was play in the tire after fixing rattle, will probably do that tomorrow. But the hardware was so loose that it made my caliper loose (first video is the side before i fixed hardware) (second video shows right side of car caliper how it doesn’t move as much. )

Sounds good man! That is damn unusual to me.
I only recommend some additional looking because it looked like you had some excess horizontal play in the knuckle while you shook it around. Maybe it’s all in my head.
Sponsored