Sponsored

Rattle Sound

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I've got about 3600 miles on my 2016 GT350 and have noticed a lot of what sounds like plastic rattle on both sides of the car. It sounds as if it might be coming from the doors. The only rattle I had on my 2015 GT PP was the light switch that I got fixed. This is different than the "piston slap" as it can happen throughout the RPM range and not the same sound. Anyone else have this and where you able to isolate where the noise is coming from? It seems to go away with the windows down and it's not just that the wind noise is covering it.
Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Could be the window rails in the door which hold the window while it's down, but if loose, will rattle while up. It was pretty common on S197s.

OP
OP
likeaboss

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Could be the window rails in the door which hold the window while it's down, but if loose, will rattle while up. It was pretty common on S197s.
Thanks I'll have the dealer look into that. It's really bad on the passenger side and doesn't do it as much on the driver side.

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
C-pillar covers? This is distressingly common. I have a write-up in DIY about how to fix it.

I mean, we shouldn't HAVE to fix it, but mine went back to the dealer 6 or 7 times about this problem and they kept shrugging their shoulders so I just did it my own damn self.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I have a bad one that seems to move from the driver door through the headlight switch/vent area and the gauge cluster. I can push on different spots to make it stop from time to time so I can't pinpoint where it is.

I'll probably take it to the dealer, but I'm afraid they'll make it worse or just tell me they can't replicate it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
likeaboss

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
C-pillar covers? This is distressingly common. I have a write-up in DIY about how to fix it.

I mean, we shouldn't HAVE to fix it, but mine went back to the dealer 6 or 7 times about this problem and they kept shrugging their shoulders so I just did it my own damn self.
What did you do to fix it?

Blaze489

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350 Magnetic Track Pack
I've got about 3600 miles on my 2016 GT350 and have noticed a lot of what sounds like plastic rattle on both sides of the car. It sounds as if it might be coming from the doors. The only rattle I had on my 2015 GT PP was the light switch that I got fixed. This is different than the "piston slap" as it can happen throughout the RPM range and not the same sound. Anyone else have this and where you able to isolate where the noise is coming from? It seems to go away with the windows down and it's not just that the wind noise is covering it.
Did you remove your resonators? If so and re-installed the heat shield with clamps or tack welded back on, one part might of came loose. Thats what happened to me so I completely removed the heat shield since there are no resonators.

OP
OP
likeaboss

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Did you remove your resonators? If so and re-installed the heat shield with clamps or tack welded back on, one part might of came loose. Thats what happened to me so I completely removed the heat shield since there are no resonators.
Not yet. I was thinking about removing them next week. I wonder if the R even has the heat shield.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
I got a rattle on in 2nd gear coming from the shifter, anyone have any idea what the hell thats from? starts at about 3k rpm and gets higher in frequency the higher the rpm goes.

OP
OP
likeaboss

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I had the dealer take off both doors and tighten everything while I watched. The tech was completely cool with it and we talked about the car while he was working. It sounded better for a day and rattle came back. It's really weird and has been submitted to Ford Performance for review. More to come...

On a side note can the mods make a Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls subforum specifically for the GT350?

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
On a side note can the mods make a Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls subforum specifically for the GT350?
I will raise this to Jarstang's attention and let you know :)

(even as a Mod, this isn't something I can do)

Sammy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Not yet. I was thinking about removing them next week. I wonder if the R even has the heat shield.
The R does have the heat shield. Just have the shop weld it to the pipes. The clamps can loosen over time unless you use the factory type which are crimped.

Last edited:

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I got a rattle on in 2nd gear coming from the shifter, anyone have any idea what the hell thats from? starts at about 3k rpm and gets higher in frequency the higher the rpm goes.
Noticed same thing on mine last weekend. Only happens in second gear. Didn't notice a frequency change though. Will listen for that as well. Interested to know if anyone else has the same problem, and more importantly, a solution.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Noticed same thing on mine last weekend. Only happens in second gear. Didn't notice a frequency change though. Will listen for that as well. Interested to know if anyone else has the same problem, and more importantly, a solution.
When were yours made? There was an issue with the shifters about the shift collar rattle, as well as a spring inside the shifter mechanism that could break and rattle. There was a post here about it, let me see if I can find it.

EDIT: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1124663&highlight=shifter+spring#post1124663

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
When were yours made? There was an issue with the shifters about the shift collar rattle, as well as a spring inside the shifter mechanism that could break and rattle. There was a post here about it, let me see if I can find it.

EDIT: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1124663&highlight=shifter+spring#post1124663
Thanks! That is extremely helpful. It does seem to be the shifter collar. I have an appointment for the seats. Will let them know about this as well. Thanks again.
Sponsored