Sponsored

Random tick noise (no not another rattle thread)

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Had to add the rattle part to the title, before I get insta-flamed for search the forums. I don't have the rattle at a certain RPM. My question is this: I have a random tick noise at idle, similar to if you left a safety pin in a pocket in the washing machine, bouncing around inside. Or a pants button randomly tapping against the machine. There's no rhythm to it, just completely here or there ticking. Sounds more predominant around the drivers side wheel when I walk around the front trying to find it. I can hear it from inside the car and out. Anyone else have this?
Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
[ame]

Sound like this? This would be the first time I've heard of that the 350 has the GT BBQ Tick.

Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Not quite as frequent, but basically yes.
Yeah, the severity isn't really set and varies from car to car. That could be it. Unfortunately if that's it, I don't think there's really an accepted solution for it.

OP
OP
Varekai

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
As long as it's mechanically okay, I don't care at much. Yeah it's annoying, but I'm not that picky.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Maybe as the engine varies temperature, it makes that tick sound as parts expand contract.

OP
OP
Varekai

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Took another video today, trying to find where the tick is coming from, which seems like underneath the car, I popped the hood, noticed the engine is very, very noisy. I had a 15 GT so I know there's valve train noise, but this sounds like a mack truck. Near the end of the video I get closer and you can really hear it. With the last couple engine failure threads, starting to get a bit nervous.

[ame]

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Track Package White w/blue stripes
Took another video today, trying to find where the tick is coming from, which seems like underneath the car, I popped the hood, noticed the engine is very, very noisy. I had a 15 GT so I know there's valve train noise, but this sounds like a mack truck. Near the end of the video I get closer and you can really hear it. With the last couple engine failure threads, starting to get a bit nervous.

I had something kinda similar and it was intermittent at times. What it ended up being is the factory left off a nut, I was told, that held a bracket holding the oil lines to the core support. At times the bracket banged against the core support causing a "tick" or "rattle" that bugged me no end. Finally I was able to get it to do it in the service aisle at the dealership so they could get a tech out to listen to it. Good luck finding yours.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Varekai

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I have reason to believe my oil pump is going. I have posted about ticking and the loud valve train noises, today I noticed my oil pressure was lower than normal at idle, usually it's around 50, today it was closer to 25. Also heard some whirring noises today crusing around. Oil level is to the top dot, so I don't have low oil. Looked up signs of a failing oil pump, and every one of these symptoms were signs. Now my dillemna, do I just wait for the engine to go and get a new one, or do I bring it in and have the pump looked at after there could have already been damage from excessive wear to my engine?

Lexluther

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350
Check bearings on belt tensioners and idlers.

Check lifter/rocker tick valve covers for source of noise.

Last time I heard this was last year on my stingray corvette at 200 miles dealer said it was nothing. Later with 3k miles it was noticeably louder dealer said it was nothing than it blew at 3,600 miles rod bearing. Mine was nowhere near as loud as yours and let go.

Keep a vigilant eye on your oil pressure.. Your coolant temp will also be higher if you have oiling issues.

Before

After

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Are your injectors supposed to make noise..:shrug:
Injectors definitely make noise. If you were to isolate the sound they make, they'd almost sound like a rotating sprinkler head so definitely a tick tick tick.
Sponsored