Quick question on detailing products.

bdub85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Package Shadow Black
I'm currently using Adam's Polishes stuff which I really like. I think most of the higher end stuff out there is going to be good.
Sponsored

rogers17GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hope this question doesn't show my age. This would apply with people putting the clear wrap on also. My Gt350 build date is May 16th, assume I get it delivered week 2 of June. Does the new paints require the 90 day before waxing? I was wondering with the clear wraps as well? I'm sure the wraps have been tested for this or so many wouldn't be putting it on. Back in my day the paint was said to still be very-porous and still evaporating for at least 90 days after being painted?
No need to wait anymore. Modern water based paint is all baked at the factory, so by the time it reaches you it's fully cured.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
and then buff with 100% cotton.

Make sure it's a quality microfiber. Cotton means a lot of things to a lot of people. T-shirt, wash cloth...those will definitely mar your paint.

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
I use good stuff, I actually love to wash and wax my cars. And I'm pretty good at it. My 15 GT I picked up in nov of 14 so it say all winter before I waxed it. My GT350 should be here 1st of June, I like clean cars. My wife's cars come from over sea's so I know they had time to cure. I'm only 45, but that's how it used to be. Thanks
image.jpg

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
I swear 100% by Adams Polishes. Their stuff easy to work with, smells great and the results speak for themselves. I've not had a bad experience with any of their products (something I can't say for the more mid-range brands like Meguiars, Mothers, etc.). I'm sure stuff from Griot's and Chemical Guys is great too, but Adam's is what I stand behind.

Same here - have used alot of different products over the years but Adams are far and away the best I have gotten my hands on. :love:

Sponsored

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
Well I just did a post a couple days ago about washing and detailing my car with Chemical Guys products, and I'd say I liked what I had.

I'd echo what was said earlier in the thread though - technique is what matters most, as all the comparable products are fairly similar in capability and coverage.

My favorite best practice? Use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid as a stool to sit on while doing the sides of the car. It makes a huge difference to my 40+ year old knees to not have to shuffle on the balls of my feet for 5 hours.

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Picking up some Adam's Wheel Cleaner today at lunch. I've typically just used their all-purpose cleaner for my wheels, but I want to give the wheel cleaner a try. I've heard good things.

Dicks15Guard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
Guard Green EcoBoost Premium
$$$ & Shine

First, I am "old car guy" so I may be old school as well re. spending money on things like car products...but...

In addition to many modern Mustangs, I also have owned some of the very finest ( ie. National POCI Number One In Class GTO Convert - 1968) classic American Muscle cars, and I have never not shined with the so-called "mid price" products like Mequiar's.

And, my 2001 BULLITT at 12 years old, using the less expensive detailing products like Mequiar's, would score a trophy when shown. Also, my S550 EcoBoost OUTSHINED all other cars in class.. including... 3 big boy Coyotes one of which was in startling Competition.. Orange hee..hee.

I will say that I have now recently experienced, thanks to an old Bullitt Buddy of mine, the advantage of the newer "Hydrophobic Polymer" "ULTIMATE" detailer over the traditional detailer.

With the positive experience- much less fogging on dark colors- decided to go for the newer POLYMER WAX instead of the Carnauba Wax I have been using for decades...

AND, I JUST got an Amazon shipment yesterday of the- MEQUIAR'S POLYMER G18216 ULTIMATE WAX ...

Along with the wax, I went with Mother's "Ultra Soft Microfiber Detailing Cloth".... We shall see.

BTW- S550 Guys, In that same order of my new waxes etc, I got my wife's birthday gift to me of the new (Dec 2015) must-have Mustang documentary:

"A FASTER HORSE" - The story of Mustang to include the behind-the-scenes story of the development of our ALL NEW MUSTANG, the S550 !

( for those who may not be aware of the documentary)

blk_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO 2015 GT PP
Picking up some Adam's Wheel Cleaner today at lunch. I've typically just used their all-purpose cleaner for my wheels, but I want to give the wheel cleaner a try. I've heard good things.
picking it up as online or physically at a store? would love to have a local vendor lol.

OP - +1 for Adams here. I was strictly a Meguiars guy, then tried Chem guys and Adams after seeing the hype on online forums. The Chem guys worked okay (still have some laying around my garage almost 2 years later), but the Adams products were what I found to be my favorite. I have used most of their products and can say that I haven't found one I don't love.

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
picking it up as online or physically at a store? would love to have a local vendor lol.

OP - +1 for Adams here. I was strictly a Meguiars guy, then tried Chem guys and Adams after seeing the hype on online forums. The Chem guys worked okay (still have some laying around my garage almost 2 years later), but the Adams products were what I found to be my favorite. I have used most of their products and can say that I haven't found one I don't love.
I ordered this latest stuff online, but we do have two Adam's vendors in Metro-Detroit.

Cauley Performance (Right next door to the Ferrari dealership)
7020 Orchard Lake Rd.
West Bloomfield Township, MI 48322

Lingenfelter (This is their engine build shop, not the Lingenfelter Collection. This is also where they have their Saturday morning Cars & Coffee events.)
47451 Avante Dr.
Wixom, MI 48393

Sponsored

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
And for the OP, one thing I can't stress enough is using quality microfiber towels and having different towels for different jobs. The 100 pack you can get at Costco for $16.99 are junk and are only good maybe for cleaning grime out of your engine compartment.

The high-end detail supply brands make a variety of different towels for different jobs. Super plush ones for buffing/polishing, large porous ones for drying, and so on. Buy a good variety of them and always use the right towel for the job.

The Adam's Double Soft Towel is my favorite. SUPER soft, very thick and works great.

Here is their full variety of towels.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/accessories/microfiber-towels.html

blk_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO 2015 GT PP
I ordered this latest stuff online, but we do have two Adam's vendors in Metro-Detroit.
Didn't realize that, thanks!

And for the OP, one thing I can't stress enough is using quality microfiber towels and having different towels for different jobs. The 100 pack you can get at Costco for $16.99 are junk and are only good maybe for cleaning grime out of your engine compartment.

The high-end detail supply brands make a variety of different towels for different jobs. Super plush ones for buffing/polishing, large porous ones for drying, and so on. Buy a good variety of them and always use the right towel for the job.

The Adam's Double Soft Towel is my favorite. SUPER soft, very thick and works great.
Not gonna lie, guilty of using the 40 packs of Costco microfibers lol....although I recently purchased several Adam's towels that were job specific and am starting to realize the error in my ways. Starting to use the costcos just for wheels/engine compartment/exhaust etc. :cheers:

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
Didn't realize that, thanks!

Not gonna lie, guilty of using the 40 packs of Costco microfibers lol....although I recently purchased several Adam's towels that were job specific and am starting to realize the error in my ways. Starting to use the costcos just for wheels/engine compartment/exhaust etc. :cheers:
I use them myself. They actually work pretty good!

Pa-fatboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium; 1966 Mustang, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
Well I just did a post a couple days ago about washing and detailing my car with Chemical Guys products, and I'd say I liked what I had.

I'd echo what was said earlier in the thread though - technique is what matters most, as all the comparable products are fairly similar in capability and coverage.

My favorite best practice? Use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid as a stool to sit on while doing the sides of the car. It makes a huge difference to my 40+ year old knees to not have to shuffle on the balls of my feet for 5 hours.
+1 to this post. I bought an actual mechanics chair with wheels and a padded seat. It is a must for doing the sides. I love the it. Just google them, or look in Amazon. There are many options.
Sponsored