Sponsored

Question about 2016 Racing Stripe

mazza89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Cobra, 52 F100, 38 Ford, 12 Ram 1500, Mustang?
From the factory there is the option for the Racing Stripe. Is it painted on or is it a tape stripe? Has anyone seen it in person to confirm? I was looking at the Ford parts site and they are showing the "over the top stripe" but that is the name of it on the gt350. Even though I entered a GT vin it is saying it fits but the picture of the included pieces is definitely for a gt350 hood.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/RenderIllustration.ashx?id=332352909&f=3&n=FR3Z6320000EH

Can anyone verify whether it is tape or paint and can it be added after purchase?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
link is just a white page

Asonitez

I go 71 in a 70 *REBEL*
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tristian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT Premium
The Racing stripe on my 2016 GT Premium is NOT painted on. It is vinyl. Mine are black over the top and fade to the front... The fading effect is achieved by using the white as the background and using holes in the vinyl to gradient the black down. I just found out that when bird shit gets in the holes they are a BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOTCH to clean. I soaked mine in bug/tar remover and then lightly rubbed it with a LOT of direct water to remove it.

I have often thought about removing the stripes. My fear is that oxidation and sun will cause an uneven wear in my paint. I'm therefore anal about cleaning the car and applying wax and sealer to try and maintain the quality of the paint.

I've been applying Meguiars spray detailer OVER my stripes which ford customer service told me was fine as long as it didn't have any ammonia. I've been thinking of purchasing a vinyl specific cleaner but not sure which one to get.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
The page won't load, but you can be pretty certain it's a vinyl stripe. Painted stripes are very expensive.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mazza89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Cobra, 52 F100, 38 Ford, 12 Ram 1500, Mustang?
The Racing stripe on my 2016 GT Premium is NOT painted on. It is vinyl. Mine are black over the top and fade to the front... The fading effect is achieved by using the white as the background and using holes in the vinyl to gradient the black down. I just found out that when bird shit gets in the holes they are a BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOTCH to clean. I soaked mine in bug/tar remover and then lightly rubbed it with a LOT of direct water to remove it.

I have often thought about removing the stripes. My fear is that oxidation and sun will cause an uneven wear in my paint. I'm therefore anal about cleaning the car and applying wax and sealer to try and maintain the quality of the paint.

I've been applying Meguiars spray detailer OVER my stripes which ford customer service told me was fine as long as it didn't have any ammonia. I've been thinking of purchasing a vinyl specific cleaner but not sure which one to get.

Thank you this is exactly what I was looking for including the fading of the stripes. Interesting they went with perforations in it.

Painted is definitely the way to go but far more expensive. Thanks for the input!

jms412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Stripe Cleaner

Hey Asonitez did you ever find out which cleaner to use on the stripe? I have the flat black vinyl and i would like to keep it clean but also keep it a flat black and not shiney.
Sponsored