Putting together suspension build plan, need feedback

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
2016 GT PP Got the car used and suspension is stock with the exception of Eibach Pro springs.

I mainly daily drive the car(spring/summer/fall), but I plan to dabble in autocross and maybe hit a track day or two per year. I have experience at both with a fully built 3rd gen Camaro that I built myself. I'm new to the S550 platform and I love it, but it does a few things I don't like. Chief among them is how it feels like it rolls over and rolls back onto the outside rear tire when I accelerate off a corner. Car rides and drives good otherwise on the street, but I'd like to button it down a little bit for aggressive maneuvers.

Currently in the box but not installed on the car yet is Steeda diff bushings and Steeda stop the hop starter kit to lock the rear subframe down.

Which of the following should I do....
1. Throw the Eibach springs away and run the whole Ford Performance Track Handling kit along with Steeda camber plates and Steeda roll center and bump steer kits.
2. Throw the Eibach springs away and run the whole Steeda dual rate HPDE suspension pack along with Steeda camber plates and roll center and bump steer kits.
3. Keep the Eibach springs (they look similar to the competition dual rate springs from Steeda) and run Steeda dampers (adj or non-adj?) and Steeda sway bars, camber plates and roll center and bump steer kits.
4. Forget all my ideas because they suck and I am clueless and leave my car alone.

I appreciate anyone's time that has experience with any of this stuff and can make a recommendation. I'm an engineer by trade, so I tend to obsess over the details, so I'll apologize in advance.
Sponsored

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
Go with either the Ford Performance kit or Steeda you can't go wrong with either. I went with Steeda on my suspension setup and got a good deal so I'd reach out to them on here if you do go that route to save money. They'll probably recommend a few other things as well totally worth it. Car feels like a race car now!!

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
1 and 2 are pretty safe choices, I'd be inclined to rule out #3. I just dropped off my car, I'm having #5 (none of the above) installed.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the dual rates, and I’ve won on them at CAM autox events. They’re stiff as heck tho, so consider yourself warned.

Why diff bushings? I haven’t heard anything really positive about that change, and some actual regrets from some people. The diff isn’t the problem with the subframe, IMHO.

Dual rates, or the Ford Track parts if you would actually like a decent ride on surface streets. I think the GT350R springs look pretty good too if you want another option.

Sounds like you’re onto some good options, tho.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
To lock the rear down on my car I just did the LRCA bearing and toe link bearings, and nothing else. No braces or other bushings and the car went from wiggly under acceleration at the limit to very smooth, progressive. I was surprised at the difference, but then one of my stock LRCA rubber bushings was torn through so..

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
To lock the rear down on my car I just did the LRCA bearing and toe link bearings, and nothing else. No braces or other bushings and the car went from wiggly under acceleration at the limit to very smooth, progressive. I was surprised at the difference, but then one of my stock LRCA rubber bushings was torn through so..
Agreed this is one of the most underrated parts to do.

thebaldlatino5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT PP
So my current set up is BC coilovers, that was a regret and bad choice on my part due to lack of shops in south texas able to properly dial them in. I'm planning on doing the build your suspension through Steeda package. Dual rate springs, pro action adjustable shocks and struts, bumpstops, shock mounts, and camber plates, fully assembled to put straight on the car. I've got the G-Trac brace coming soon, I currently have steeda toe links, bumpsteer correction kit(LCA and Bumpsteer kit) and still got plenty to order with adjustable rear camber arms, tension links, and ordering new hardware to go all around anything im changing. currently also have in possession are diff bushings, IRS alignment kit, and subframe braces to go along when I get everything else on and aligned.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
So my current set up is BC coilovers, that was a regret and bad choice on my part due to lack of shops in south texas able to properly dial them in. I'm planning on doing the build your suspension through Steeda package. Dual rate springs, pro action adjustable shocks and struts, bumpstops, shock mounts, and camber plates, fully assembled to put straight on the car. I've got the G-Trac brace coming soon, I currently have steeda toe links, bumpsteer correction kit(LCA and Bumpsteer kit) and still got plenty to order with adjustable rear camber arms, tension links, and ordering new hardware to go all around anything im changing. currently also have in possession are diff bushings, IRS alignment kit, and subframe braces to go along when I get everything else on and aligned.
Please reach out to Mike D with your contact info via pm. He will make sure everything is set up properly, like our Red HPDE S550 Mustang.

Steeda Tech

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Not crazy about the idea of sandblasting any of the better grades of bolts. You'd be adding an unknown amount of cold work, which tends to decrease the ductility of the metal being so worked. Brittleness in a suspension fastener doesn't sound like a good thing even if the yield strength increased.

Norm

OP
OP
1MeanZ

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
Wow, tons of good reading here, I'll get deeper into it tonight when I'm home. Thanks for the input. I know what I'm doing is not rocket science and many have come before me on this site. This thread didn't come up in any of my searches but its full of good info and links.

Why diff bushings? I haven’t heard anything really positive about that change, and some actual regrets from some people. The diff isn’t the problem with the subframe, IMHO.
Friend of mine has a new 5.7 Hemi Challenger and she and I have a grudge match at the drag strip this spring. I'm doing the Steeda adjustable diff bushings and Steeda stop the hop starter kit to avoid wheelhop, not specifically for handling improvement (although many claim that firming up the subframe does improve the feel of the car). Her Challenger is an automatic so I'm going to need all the help getting out of the hole I can get. But let us not get distracted with drag racing, it's just a fun thing, this car's focus is street/track handling.

Some things I'd like to get clarification on.

The Eibach Pro springs are VERY similar in rate to the Steeda competition dual rate springs. Is there a reason not to stick with them? They are already on the car and they don't ride bad at all. They are what I expect out of a car like this.

I'm treating camber plates and the roll center correction and bump steer kits as mandatory even with my 1.1-1" drop from the Eibach's. Do the rest of you consider this mandatory?

I will look into the RLCA bearings and toe link bearings, more learning to do on that topic for me.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
The Eibach Pro springs are VERY similar in rate to the Steeda competition dual rate springs. Is there a reason not to stick with them? They are already on the car and they don't ride bad at all. They are what I expect out of a car like this.

I'm treating camber plates and the roll center correction and bump steer kits as mandatory even with my 1.1-1" drop from the Eibach's. Do the rest of you consider this mandatory?
No they are not. The Steeda DR rate springs are more like 350/1200 compared to 200/800 of the Eibach Pro Kit - big difference.
And yes they are mandatory if you want it to drive and handle like it's supposed to.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, tons of good reading here, I'll get deeper into it tonight when I'm home. Thanks for the input. I know what I'm doing is not rocket science and many have come before me on this site. This thread didn't come up in any of my searches but its full of good info and links.

Friend of mine has a new 5.7 Hemi Challenger and she and I have a grudge match at the drag strip this spring. I'm doing the Steeda adjustable diff bushings and Steeda stop the hop starter kit to avoid wheelhop, not specifically for handling improvement (although many claim that firming up the subframe does improve the feel of the car). Her Challenger is an automatic so I'm going to need all the help getting out of the hole I can get. But let us not get distracted with drag racing, it's just a fun thing, this car's focus is street/track handling.

Some things I'd like to get clarification on.

I will look into the RLCA bearings and toe link bearings, more learning to do on that topic for me.
You're quite welcome. There are lots of very happy people with that setup or most of that setup. It's very good.

OP
OP
1MeanZ

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
No they are not. The Steeda DR rate springs are more like 350/1200 compared to 200/800 of the Eibach Pro Kit - big difference.
Help me understand the difference. Front rates appear functionally identical, rear does look substantially lighter at full load. maybe this is what you were referring to?
Eibach Pro 200-314 / 800-914
Steeda comp dual rate 220-350 / 800-1200
spring rates.JPG
steeda comp springs.JPG
Sponsored