zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350, 66 galaxie,a Tesla, and an AMG G63
We have seen that the Tech and base cars DO have the same transmission castings as the rest. So that part of the article is wrong.
If they do have the same casting and the bungs are there, plumbing an electric pump that will move 3gpm is not hard at all.

Has anyone actually been underneath a tech package car to look at the trans?
Sponsored

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
If they do have the same casting and the bungs are there, plumbing an electric pump that will move 3gpm is not hard at all.

Has anyone actually been underneath a tech package car to look at the trans?
I was underneath mine doing my oil change this weekend. I could look under it again. What would/should I look for? Or take pictures of that could help this discussion?

What I am a little miffed about is that FP doesn't make it sound difficult to add these coolers. Direct Quote:

"For sustained high speeds or track day
use with a Base or Tech model, we
recommend that transmission and
differential coolers are added
. Your
vehicle has electronic controls to
reduce power and/or limit RPM to
reduce powertrain temperatures if
required."

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I was underneath mine doing my oil change this weekend. I could look under it again. What would/should I look for? Or take pictures of that could help this discussion?

What I am a little miffed about is that FP doesn't make it sound difficult to add these coolers. Direct Quote:

"For sustained high speeds or track day
use with a Base or Tech model, we
recommend that transmission and
differential coolers are added
. Your
vehicle has electronic controls to
reduce power and/or limit RPM to
reduce powertrain temperatures if
required."

if it has the same casting/bungs, you should see a casting on the passenger side of the tailcone area, that hopefully has a fitting.

I'm going to put mine on a lift on saturday to see if it is there as well.

Okie3Fiddy

Ok Mustang Club Prez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
We recently had a club members 350 tech pack on a lift. We too noticed there was a cooler in the front bumper on the driver's side. We didn't track it down to determine what it was for.

Okie3Fiddy

Ok Mustang Club Prez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Oil cooler is the most important out of those 3

Ford website says oil cooler is only on Track and not Tech? Any pics of the oil cooler on Tech to confirm?
We did see one on a Tech Pak car we had on a lift a couple weeks ago.

Sponsored

Blaze489

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350 Magnetic Track Pack
I put this in the other thread where matt was posting too, figured i'd stick it here as well so he saw it.

so because i've been pondering tech or track for the past few days, and because it seems that swapping in sync 3 would be a complete pain in the ass, I started doing some research.

I'm no fluid dynamics whiz, BUT, i figure that in order to cool the transmission down by about 30-40 degrees on a hot day ( I live in louisiana, so this will happen for me too), you probably need to move 2-3GPM.

now I havent had the chance to take a look at these transmissions, but I'm going to assume that they have a drain plug and a fill plug on them.

If that is the case, something like this: Linky , coupled with the appropriate tubing and a cooler with adequate surface area ( like this) would do the trick to keep your trans temps under control.

The pump that i linked could be hooked up to a thermal switch that is calibrated to 30 degrees below the thermal limp mode trigger point, if you didnt want to run a simple switch.

This pump is generally used to provide oil supply to turbochargers, so I believe it can handle the temps.

Nascar teams use this crazy driveshaft powered mechanical pump for the dif coolers that moves about the same volume, but i highly doubt that there is enough room under these cars to do that.

Anywho, you could probably piece this whole kit together for less than $500 is you shopped around.

Perhaps it is worth asking Ford racing how much volume the track package mechanical pump moves? it might give us some indication as to whether an electric pump is viable.

If any of the vendors want to leverage this info to package something up that is easy to install, be my guest!
I live in Louisiana too! I bought my gt350 from Veterans ford in New Orleans. Hopefully we can find a solution to this transmission overheating because my 16' base has not arrived yet and would like to take it to NOLA Motorsports Park.

Blaze489

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350 Magnetic Track Pack
We recently had a club members 350 tech pack on a lift. We too noticed there was a cooler in the front bumper on the driver's side. We didn't track it down to determine what it was for.
That is the engine oil cooler, the cooler on the passenger side is the differential cooler. All cars (base, tech, track) have the oil coolers

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
I live in Louisiana too! I bought my gt350 from Veterans ford in New Orleans. Hopefully we can find a solution to this transmission overheating because my 16' base has not arrived yet and would like to take it to NOLA Motorsports Park.

I'm in the same boat here, base is getting built March 7th and hoping Ford finds a solution for us non TP cars.

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
i got mine from supreme in la place.

I'll be over at nola on saturday for cars and coffee. I'm pretty certain i'll be the only black stripe delete gt350 there. If you have the time, come hang out.

I have a DIY solution if nothing else comes about. Just need to see how much of a pain it is. wont know till i get the car on a lift.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
That is the engine oil cooler, the cooler on the passenger side is the differential cooler. All cars (base, tech, track) have the oil coolers
I thought the differential cooler, if equipped, was in the back?

Sponsored

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
That is the engine oil cooler, the cooler on the passenger side is the transmission cooler. All cars (base, tech, track) have the engine oil coolers
Fixed that for you.

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
there was talk on one of these threads that it seemed like the only tech pack car that wasnt seeing this heat issue was lethal's. After paging through their threads it dawned on me....

They removed their cats and replaced them with a off road mid pipe. I'd put money on the cats getting insanely hot under these cars. since the literally almost hug the transmission, i'd also bet that removing them reduces the heat transfer to the point that it no longer causes issues.

not saying that i'm going to go chop my cats out, making it louder ( and thus causing me to fail tech at db sensitive tracks, but, it is interesting nonetheless.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
there was talk on one of these threads that it seemed like the only tech pack car that wasnt seeing this heat issue was lethal's. After paging through their threads it dawned on me....

They removed their cats and replaced them with a off road mid pipe. I'd put money on the cats getting insanely hot under these cars. since the literally almost hug the transmission, i'd also bet that removing them reduces the heat transfer to the point that it no longer causes issues.

not saying that i'm going to go chop my cats out, making it louder ( and thus causing me to fail tech at db sensitive tracks, but, it is interesting nonetheless.
You could very well be right. Cats do indeed generate a ton of heat and are in close proximity to the tranny. Some heat shielding and air flow scoops might be a viable solution

It would be nice if Lethal would tap into the tranny temp with their Ngauge and datalog a full session the next time they go to the track

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
need a solution for tranny coolers
what after-market 'heat shields' are available?
Sponsored