Sponsored

Post your shifter setup!!

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
There is no reverse collar. There is a reverse lock-out pin and a plate. The OEM has a plastic collar that needs to be raised above a cast in plate on the OEM shifter? If you have a MGW, maybe you need to move the reverse lockout pin away from the plate?

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
I need your guys’ opinion on this rattle thing of the stock unit. The bottom line is that it is driving me insane especially in 1st and 2nd. And it is the reverse lockout mechanism because if I lift the collar while the rattle happens, everything quiets down.
My plan is to get the MGW shifter to get rid of the reverse lockout mechanism and thus get rid of the rattle. But I am wondering if I go to the dealer and complain and they install a new stock unit, will that help any? Basically do all stock shifters rattle like crazy? I would love an MGW but main objective is to get rid of the crazy rattle - I am actually ok with the feel of the stock unit.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
My shifter is completely rattle free. I'm going to install my MGW pretty soon. Will be glad to get rid of the stock lockout. It's crazy to make it out of plastic from a durability standpoint. I dislike that style of lockout anyway, was one of the big factors in choosing the MGW. Better looking without also in my view.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I need your guys’ opinion on this rattle thing of the stock unit. The bottom line is that it is driving me insane especially in 1st and 2nd. And it is the reverse lockout mechanism because if I lift the collar while the rattle happens, everything quiets down.
My plan is to get the MGW shifter to get rid of the reverse lockout mechanism and thus get rid of the rattle. But I am wondering if I go to the dealer and complain and they install a new stock unit, will that help any? Basically do all stock shifters rattle like crazy? I would love an MGW but main objective is to get rid of the crazy rattle - I am actually ok with the feel of the stock unit.
I've seen one other member take it to the dealership. They replaced the shifter, and it fixed the problem. That was at least a month ago, not sure if it' still rattle-free.

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Take it to the dealer... no point spending 400 bucks to fix an issue which is covered under warranty ?
My 2 cents

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Dealer heard the rattle and immediately ordered a replacement shifter. Not sure if it will solve the issue, but certainly a good first step.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Dealer heard the rattle and immediately ordered a replacement shifter. Not sure if it will solve the issue, but certainly a good first step.
Please report back when you get it done. It's not entirely annoying, but if they have made some kind of revision, I may want to have it replaced also.

dkbluedevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I did the same thing, had the dealer replace the shifter. It fixed 80% of the problem until within 10k miles it was back and worse than before. Horrible design.

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Please report back when you get it done. It's not entirely annoying, but if they have made some kind of revision, I may want to have it replaced also.
Will do.

I did the same thing, had the dealer replace the shifter. It fixed 80% of the problem until within 10k miles it was back and worse than before. Horrible design.
Ouch. Will hope for the best. Got a 7 yr warranty to test their patience if necessary...

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The "fix" from Ford was to insert a tiny piece of foam in between the spring and shaft under the collar. It doesn't work.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
The "fix" from Ford was to insert a tiny piece of foam in between the spring and shaft under the collar. It doesn't work.
That does not seem like a long term solution. In my case in addition to the spring rattling against the shaft I also get squeaking of the collar itself against the inside of the knob (leather vs shiny metal = horrible squeaks). I can and will give Ford dealer a try since I need to go for a few other things anyways but I doubt this will fix it long term.

dyingfan_gt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Race Red, Black stripe, BK roof
I have switched shift knobs like a woman changes shoes, since I purchased this car. I know I'll never go back to having anything but a manual transmission. After two shift knobs, I decided to spend some extra dough and throw on a Ford Performance Short Throw Shift Kit. The difference is indescribable. Now what else but to finish it off with a custom Raceseng weighted shift
This shift knob is absolutely gergoues. Since it's purely metal from inside out, I'm wondering when the knob gets warm while driving the car for a while, are you still able to grab the knob with bare hands ?

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
When I disassembled mine to put in the MGW, it had the foam under the spring. I never had a rattle though, with ~1600 miles.
Sponsored