Sponsored

Possible to run two OBD devices?

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

I could swear I read somewhere once upon a time our cars OBD ports is merely an extension of another port in the car somewhere.

Is this true? If so is it possible to run two OBD devices the reason I ask is because I generally have my HUD hooked up but also like having my SCT X4 hooked up as well monitoring knock and spark levels.

Would be great if I could just run both at same time. :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I give you https://www.amazon.co.uk/KKmoon-Extension-Cable-Splitter-Female/dp/B00BPMGKSI

plug into incar socket voila 2x obd ports. the one in the car is just a 1:1 extension lead so its not like you can disconnect the in car one and miraculously get 2x ports oO must put a splitter in somewhere less bulkhead drilling to split the one in car.
Nice, assume its safe, won't end up drawing to much current through the wires or anything? Though the HUD/SCT I imagine pull very little power indeed.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
would imagine any voltages are all 5v and below when splitting it you won't so much pull additional power i'd assume you'd just split existing max power so if both devices read from a 5v feed then read at same time then max 2.5 to each device resulting in lower readings all round or perhaps you'd get cross talk etc never done it so couldn't say for sure there's a similar cable on there for ÂŁ3.25 perhaps try that and see if it works or not.
probably find that although you can technically split the obd port it in reality won't work but no harm in trying.

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
I have a hud Installed in my car that runs off the OBDII port and a Cobb Access port I wanted to run at the same time so I bought one of those split cables.

It doesn't work, the Cobb won't connect to the car if the HUD is plugged in as well and the HUD doesn't work properly if the AP is plugged in.

Sorry guys, we really are limited to one OBDII device at a time.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a hud Installed in my car that runs off the OBDII port and a Cobb Access port I wanted to run at the same time so I bought one of those split cables.

It doesn't work, the Cobb won't connect to the car if the HUD is plugged in as well and the HUD doesn't work properly if the AP is plugged in.

Sorry guys, we really are limited to one OBDII device at a time.
Thanks fella, saved me a tenner. :)

I never thought the day would come where I'd want two OBD ports.

It is the only thing missing from Mustang really, HUD, I guess they are saving that for the S650 and GT350 only.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Thanks fella, saved me a tenner. :)

I never thought the day would come where I'd want two OBD ports.

It is the only thing missing from Mustang really, HUD, I guess they are saving that for the S650 and GT350 only.
Glad I could help, I was disappointed but it was just $10 so I can live with it.

On the other hand is anybody interested in an OBDII split cable for $5:D

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 GT Auto Fastback Black
Yes there is a hidden extra port that looks like an OBD port on the Mustang. The target area is only two meters wide. It's a small thermal exhaust port, right below the main port. The shaft leads directly to the reactor system. A precise hit will ...
P1010800 (Medium).JPG
P1010801 (Medium).JPG
P1010802 (Medium).JPG

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
guessing its just using the same style connector probably a programming port

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
anyone tried plugging into both at same time?

are they still alive? :D
Sponsored