Sponsored

PMAS question

Popo5ohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
Just installed my pmas. Is there a cold air type snorkel like the stock box? Seems like a poor design with just the big hole in the front of the box sucking innhot air
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Just installed my pmas. Is there a cold air type snorkel like the stock box? Seems like a poor design with just the big hole in the front of the box sucking innhot air
Check the main PMAS thread, I found a solution to this that ducts cold air and also makes the big hole even bigger.

Vinny@JLTPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Since our heat shields are so "similar" I will tell you in our testing not having a duct there will effect IAT's negatively on the street in a pretty substantial way. The duct force feeds the airbox as it was intended.

See below.
Heatshield1.jpg
tn19.JPG

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
That's what I did. Cut the snorkel off the stock airbox. It worked pretty well and took less than 10min

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Since our heat shields are so "similar" I will tell you in our testing not having a duct there will effect IAT's negatively on the street in a pretty substantial way. The duct force feeds the airbox as it was intended.

See below.
Honestly My iats are actually about the same as my stock box. I've got a grill delete so lots of air circulation. Idling they rise a little faster than stock but it's normally only 2-3* while sitting at a relatively long traffic light. And they fall back down to ambient in a matter of seconds normally.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Popo5ohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
Not mine. Stock was like 5-10 over ambient pmas is like 20

OP
OP

Popo5ohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
Stock grille should maf be in shield or out?

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Stock grille should maf be in shield or out?
Inside the shield works best. My MAF is inside and pointing down and forward so it clears the box. Grille delete at least the outer part in front of the intake will also help airflow over the filter and MAF which helps keep everything cool.

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 300A w/ Brembo's
Per PMAS, the snorkel is actually a choke point when used with ANY intake kit, including stock, that's why they keep it open and actually say opening it up will benefit more. A lot of "warm" air will make much more power than a little "cooler" air.

As far as the MAF, it does not REALLY matter where it is as long as the wires are not pinched or chaffing anything around it. Most people have it placed inside the box and pointing in kind of a downward position.

My opinion, do not worry about the snorkel. Run the intake, enjoy it, and get the damn IAT reading off of any display it might be on. People are getting too caught up on it and are not enjoying their cars because of it but no one paid attention to it with the stock air box.

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Per PMAS, the snorkel is actually a choke point when used with ANY intake kit, including stock, that's why they keep it open and actually say opening it up will benefit more. A lot of "warm" air will make much more power than a little "cooler" air.

As far as the MAF, it does not REALLY matter where it is as long as the wires are not pinched or chaffing anything around it. Most people have it placed inside the box and pointing in kind of a downward position.

My opinion, do not worry about the snorkel. Run the intake, enjoy it, and get the damn IAT reading off of any display it might be on. People are getting too caught up on it and are not enjoying their cars because of it but no one paid attention to it with the stock air box.

I have the PMAS and have re-added the snorkel but the larger GT350 version which mean opening up the hole in the PMAS heatshield more.

However looking at this logical I fail to see how adding a snorkel creates a choke point, the snorkel does not down size the opening at all and its not full of bends. Even with car stationary I fail to see how it effect flow and once the car has momentum a snorkel is actually good for increasing flow as it floods the CAI with air creating positive pressure which is great for performnce, then of course you have lower IAT's as well.

I am heading to dyno soon so I might see if I get time to dyno with and without snorkel.

Also why not do the best of both worlds:
1. Enlarge PMAS heatshield hole and use GT350 duct
2. Create new hole on cool wing side of PMAS heatshield resulting in even more flow or even send a another duct to this hole to create even more positive air pressure.

That gives you the a lot more flow potential. So as PMAS are so saying flow is more important which it is but then why not put a larger hole on the wing side?

Somewhere something does not add up when you look at it logically.

Also Whipple and Roush supercharger kits have a closed boxed with a snorkel, these do not seem to be suffering from lack of flow, but according to PMAS the snorkel is a choke point, yep their are Whipple setups making 800+ horsepower that have a snorkel.......

GT350 revs to 8250rpm and makes 500+ NA, it also has a snorkel.

Its not like were talking 4x4 snorkels that are long and full of bends, were just talking about a straight duct that helps create positive air at the air filter at higher vehicle speeds.

Last edited:

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT

People are way too obsessed about IAT....

Wasn't Kenne Bell tried freezing inner cooler and still didn't gain much in power

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
I have the PMAS and have re-added the snorkel but the larger GT350 version which mean opening up the hole in the PMAS heatshield more.

However looking at this logical I fail to see how adding a snorkel creates a choke point, the snorkel does not down size the opening at all and its not full of bends. Even with car stationary I fail to see how it effect flow and once the car has momentum a snorkel is actually good for increasing flow as it floods the CAI with air creating positive pressure which is great for performnce, then of course you have lower IAT's as well.

I am heading to dyno soon so I might see if I get time to dyno with and without snorkel.

Also why not do the best of both worlds:
1. Enlarge PMAS heatshield hole and use GT350 duct
2. Create new hole on cool wing side of PMAS heatshield resulting in even more flow or even send a another duct to this hole to create even more positive air pressure.

That gives you the a lot more flow potential. So as PMAS are so saying flow is more important which it is but then why not put a larger hole on the wing side?

Somewhere something does not add up when you look at it logically.

Also Whipple and Roush supercharger kits have a closed boxed with a snorkel, these do not seem to be suffering from lack of flow, but according to PMAS the snorkel is a choke point, yep their are Whipple setups making 800+ horsepower that have a snorkel.......

GT350 revs to 8250rpm and makes 500+ NA, it also has a snorkel.

Its not like were talking 4x4 snorkels that are long and full of bends, were just talking about a straight duct that helps create positive air at the air filter at higher vehicle speeds.
[MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION], where did you purchase the GT350 snorkel? I see it as an add-on to the GT350 intake kit on Lethal's site, but not as a standalone piece. I'm having a hard time even finding a part number.

Can you post pics of your setup (extra cutting and snorkel)?

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION], where did you purchase the GT350 snorkel? I see it as an add-on to the GT350 intake kit on Lethal's site, but not as a standalone piece. I'm having a hard time even finding a part number.

Can you post pics of your setup (extra cutting and snorkel)?
Check main PMAS thread it's in there and I got the duct from JDM for $38 :)

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
Check main PMAS thread it's in there and I got the duct from JDM for $38 :)
Perfect! I found the snorkel, and will order, and am working to find your pics. From what I can gather, you originally ran the Velossa scoop with the stock airbox, then PMAS, and then switched to the GT350 scoop?

I take it there are pics of your grille mods in the PMAS thread as well?

EDIT: Just ordered the snorkel from JDM.
EDIT2: Just ordered the Velossa Inlet
Sponsored

Last edited: