Sponsored

Planting the seed to trade our '22 Supra 3.0 for a GT500

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
In October 2022 my wife and I purchased a new 2022 Supra 3.0. It's a 3rd "fun" car; my primary is my '21 ZL1, and we also have a safe, comfortable AWD family hauler - Volvo XC90 (great car, btw). We both drive the Supra regularly and my wife loves it. She used to have an RX-8 and likes the small lightweight sports car feel. I like it a lot but haven't bonded with it in the same way I have with my ZL1 (the ZL1 is like another kid to me). I don't have the same emotional connection to the Supra that I do my ZL1, although like I said, I do like it a lot. That leads to the topic of the thread: Yesterday I realized I'd rather have a GT500 than the Supra. Since we share the Supra, and its honestly a little more hers than mine (I'd say 60/40) we have to both agree on the decision and replacement vehicle, and I won't trade my ZL1 for a GT500. Knowing she loves the Supra I figure this will be an uphill climb, but yesterday I thought I'd plant a seed and proposed the idea to trade in the Supra for a '21 or '22 GT500. So far she isn't game (not surprised), maybe if I keep talking about it from time to time. Anyway, wish me luck! Pic of the two cars below:

Supra's best angle, IMO:
1703363734237.png

1703363777848.png
Sponsored

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
In October 2022 my wife and I purchased a new 2022 Supra 3.0. It's a 3rd "fun" car; my primary is my '21 ZL1, and we also have a safe, comfortable AWD family hauler - Volvo XC90 (great car, btw). We both drive the Supra regularly and my wife loves it. She used to have an RX-8 and likes the small lightweight sports car feel. I like it a lot but haven't bonded with it in the same way I have with my ZL1 (the ZL1 is like another kid to me). I don't have the same emotional connection to the Supra that I do my ZL1, although like I said, I do like it a lot. That leads to the topic of the thread: Yesterday I realized I'd rather have a GT500 than the Supra. Since we share the Supra, and its honestly a little more hers than mine (I'd say 60/40) we have to both agree on the decision and replacement vehicle, and I won't trade my ZL1 for a GT500. Knowing she loves the Supra I figure this will be an uphill climb, but yesterday I thought I'd plant a seed and proposed the idea to trade in the Supra for a '21 or '22 GT500. So far she isn't game (not surprised), maybe if I keep talking about it from time to time. Anyway, wish me luck! Pic of the two cars below:

Supra's best angle, IMO:
1703363734237.png

1703363777848.png
You'll love the 500, it's an incredible machine.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Good luck, based on your post you will have a better chance replacing your camaro (Never liked Camaros sorry) as a better bet. Since she likes the RX-8 thats a small car as well, as most of the time women like smaller cars which seems to give them better control of the car in knowing its size and maneuverability. I dont see you convincing her, Unless she is a real car buff, then your ONLY chance would be to have her do a test drive at the dealership, but thats a stretch IMO.

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
I agree with ditching the camaro. She lives the supra, let her keep it. If you sour on the gt just trade it for a couple camaros.
ETA: Just kidding about the two camaro deal.

Last edited:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Has she driven a 500? She may be swayed after driving one. My wife is not a car gal at all. She couldnt care less honestly, she likes her SUV and won’t even drive my GT. So I have no tips on how to sway her other than having her drive one. There’s some magic in that 760hp beast 😉

Sponsored

PhillyMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT, 2015 Dodge Durango RT
Yeah... the GT500 is more of the ZL1 upgrade, and sounds like the wife likes the smaller supra so a GT500 isn't going to cut it for her likely.

But first world problems man.

Hats off to you having a wife that loves to drive a supra.

OP
OP
Idaho2018GTPremium

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Good luck, based on your post you will have a better chance replacing your camaro (Never liked Camaros sorry) as a better bet. Since she likes the RX-8 thats a small car as well, as most of the time women like smaller cars which seems to give them better control of the car in knowing its size and maneuverability. I dont see you convincing her, Unless she is a real car buff, then your ONLY chance would be to have her do a test drive at the dealership, but thats a stretch IMO.
You're right about the size and control/maneuverability. She doesn't really like the ZL1 because it's "too big", and it's slightly smaller and lighter than a GT500, plus I think she's a little intimidated about the torque/power of the ZL1. I'm playing the long game, and there's zero chance I'll sell the ZL1 for a GT500--I just couldn't do it!

I agree with ditching the camaro. She lives the supra, let her keep it. If you sour on the gt just trade it for a couple camaros.
I wouldn't trade the ZL1 for a GT500. I'd rather play the long game and maybe pick up a GT500 in a few years and have all 3!

Has she driven a 500? She may be swayed after driving one. My wife is not a car gal at all. She couldnt care less honestly, she likes her SUV and won’t even drive my GT. So I have no tips on how to sway her other than having her drive one. There’s some magic in that 760hp beast 😉
She hasn't driven one. I know a couple of people with GT500s but they're not close enough for me to ask if my wife can drive 'em - but they are close enough to at least give her a ride. And I don't think she cares about the 760 hp. She thinks the Supra is quick enough (it's Mustang GT/Camaro SS quick).

Yeah... the GT500 is more of the ZL1 upgrade, and sounds like the wife likes the smaller supra so a GT500 isn't going to cut it for her likely.

But first world problems man.

Hats off to you having a wife that loves to drive a supra.
Ha, yeah, first world problems - I am happy she loves having a nice 3rd sports car that she enjoys driving. I agree the GT500 is a long shot for her. I'm not complaining about having the Supra (though I'd rather have a GT500); it is nice to have a completely different type of sports car to drive (powerful athletic brute compared to small and responsive) when I feel like it. The ZL1 is no doubt a better sports car in my mind, though.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Nice cars.
I really like the ZL1 cars. Great looking cars.

To be honest,......don't really see too many Supras out here, but when I do, I check them out when I can. I like them as well. I bet they are a blast to drive. They look like they're a blast to drive.
What about mods for those Supras? I thought I heard someone once say that they can rip it up with some minor mods.

Good luck on getting an S550 GT500. Beast of a car.

Sponsored

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Just by you saying small light weight sports car feel I don't think the GT500 would be a good fit for her. When you're driving at the limits the cars great, but when you're going around town you can really feel the weight. That factor and missing a third pedal is what made me swap to a 350. I think it would be super cool if they could take the c8 transaxle and pair it with the front mounted motor to get a more even weight distribution, that might change my mind on the 500 for an everyday driver.

OP
OP
Idaho2018GTPremium

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
If she gives up her supra for the 500 to please you. Short term might be ok but she won't be happy long term. Happy wife happy life.
She does a lot and gives up a lot for me and our family, but she wouldn’t give up the Supra just to please me. :crackup: Plus I’m not really pushing, just casually mentioned it the other day. I may just need to get her to test drive a GT500…

Nice cars.
I really like the ZL1 cars. Great looking cars.

To be honest,......don't really see too many Supras out here, but when I do, I check them out when I can. I like them as well. I bet they are a blast to drive. They look like they're a blast to drive.
What about mods for those Supras? I thought I heard someone once say that they can rip it up with some minor mods.

Good luck on getting an S550 GT500. Beast of a car.
Thanks! The Supra is a lot of fun to drive; I think it’s the turbo inline 6 that I am not in love with. Just doesn’t sound very good compared to the LT4 in my ZL1 or a Mustang V8, and turbo lag.

Great taste in cars, thats all i can say
Thanks!

i'd also vote for modding the supra, there's a couple in town that i stare at
Haha, it is a looker I guess. Long hood, short deck, long dash to axle ratio. And it is light by today’s standards and has pretty good front/rear weight distribution. All the things I like about it. It feels “quick enough” around town since it has a gearing advantage over the ZL1 in lower gears, and both are traction limited at low speeds anyway. At hwy speeds you can really feel the difference, though.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
If she gives up her supra for the 500 to please you. Short term might be ok but she won't be happy long term. Happy wife happy life.
I'm with this guy. Id say just let her be with her ride. My wife has driven my measly GT a handful of times & now with a baby seat in the rear she won't even drive it as much due to the hassle of getting the baby into/out of it. I'd trade in that Camaro or just keep it & forget about the 500. My wife is not a car enthusiasts & when I showed her the one local GT500 she said "it looks cool, but it's just another mustang". My long term plan is planting the seed to a nice BMW with 4 doors but in the end I know we'll just end up with a Jeep

metalmadman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT with Recaro bucket seat option.
I'm 61. I had the chance to trade my 2020 Camry with 8000 miles on it for a 2023 Mustang GT 5.0 with 1965. Awesome car. Mustang always slipped through my fingers. It's Iconic Silver with Recaro Racing seats, and six speed tran. Finally shifting gears again too.
The GT500 is an awesome machine. I will never have the money to go that far, but I did get a muscle car before I passed. I like all Muscle cars. I sat in a 67 GT500 when I 5. I was hooked.
Step away from the Dark Side and step into the light. LOL Get the GT500 awesome car and I don't believe you will regret it. I'm trying to get a Schroth DOT Quick fit harness for mine. As much as I hate to say this, don't get rid of the Camaro. GM is going to quit making them. Hang on until you really need the money.
Sponsored