Sponsored

Paint advice

Stratnumberone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Morning Gents,

I am after some advice regarding a small piece of damage to the paintwork of my new motor. It looks like one of the dreaded dried paint drops has 'snapped off' exposing all the way down to the metal. There is also another dried drop that looks like it has broken off, but this one is still showing paint underneath. I have sent some photos to the dealer for advice regarding cover under warranty. Meanwhile, they have also sent me some touch-up paint. The dealership is about 100 miles so I can't just 'pop in' for them to take a look. I could take it into my local dealership to enquire, but I am not convinced they are going to be very helpful (massive ADM on their two 350s does not indicate that the customer is at the centre of their concerns).

Clearly, if the dealer says it's covered under warranty, I will take it to them. If it is not, is using the touch up paint a risky job? Am I better off taking it to a paint shop?

Apologies for what probably seems like a pretty bone question - it's fair to say that I have not previously owned a car upon which I would mind doing a dodgy touch up job!

Many thanks.
image.jpg
Sponsored

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Clearly, if the dealer says it's covered under warranty, I will take it to them. If it is not, is using the touch up paint a risky job? Am I better off taking it to a paint shop?
Depends on your experience touching up paint and how much you trust yourself to do a good job. FWIW, I've had paint shops completely screw up touch-ups. If I were in your shoes I'd sand off the rest of that paint booger then clean, paint and clear coat that spot.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
I will be having similar issues "fixed" by my local dealer in the next few weeks under warranty. They have done good body work in the past.

Sponsored

derpington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Touch up paint is pretty easy to use, and that spot won't be very noticeable anyway, so I'd dab some on before it rusts.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Given the location, I'd also choose to do the touch-up myself. It's not very noticeable, so even if I did a rather poor job, no one would really know.

-T

Joe Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R (on order)
I'm for touch up paint too. You don't want to replace the factory paint unless you absolutely have to. Especially on a part of the car that will take abuse like the nose of a car. Just keep an eye on it once you touch it up. Make sure your dealer has a record of the issue should it need to be delt with in the future. Happy motoring!

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Touch up paint is pretty easy to use, and that spot won't be very noticeable anyway, so I'd dab some on before it rusts.
The fenders are aluminum. No worry about rust.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Dealer

Even if you ultimately decide to do it on your own, if you don't have it documented and it bcomes a problem later your going to be in even worse shape

Sponsored

Sirid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Oxford White
Hey Stratnumberone, just wanted to let you know I feel your pain! I took delivery of my Oxford White GT350 a few days ago. Today when giving it a detail spray and wipe down I saw the EXACT same problem on my right fender! :frusty:

Chassis number is in the 2300's for my car too. The dilemma is I want to get this car wrapped with Xpel film ASAP, but I might have to hold off if I use touch up paint right?

Or would anyone recommend just getting it wrapped?
IMG_2239.jpg

OP
OP

Stratnumberone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Hey Stratnumberone, just wanted to let you know I feel your pain! I took delivery of my Oxford White GT350 a few days ago. Today when giving it a detail spray and wipe down I saw the EXACT same problem on my right fender! :frusty:

Chassis number is in the 2300's for my car too. The dilemma is I want to get this car wrapped with Xpel film ASAP, but I might have to hold off if I use touch up paint right?

Or would anyone recommend just getting it wrapped?
Sirid - sorry to hear you have the same issue. Glad you raised the question about xpel as I am supposed to be getting it fitted this week.

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
That's exactly where the paint chipped on Spa2k's first car (triple yellow), if I recall correctly.
Yup, but that was just the beginning. Fixing it required repainting more than half the car, which is why I refused delivery. Even a good painter will not be able to sand, prime, base coat and clear coat that spot without it being noticeable.

The car I just got a couple of weeks ago still had several paint issues, but I'm just going to hit them with touchup paint (and clear) using a tiny brush and drive the f$&@%#* thing. Ford should be absolutely ashamed that its paint quality is worse than on your average John Deere lawn tractor. :paddle:

65ffr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Ram 1500, '65 FFR Cobra
Is the primer still on the fender, or is aluminum showing?
Sponsored