P0128 check engine light error code

rahtid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Anyone else getting this error code with their car? The first time I had this problem was at 2k miles and it turned out to be a bad thermostat since the engine wasn't warming up the way it should.

I got it again at 3.8k miles, but this time the thermostat seems to be fine, and the dealer cannot figure out what's wrong with it, so they sent a ticket to Ford and Ford wants them to check a bunch of things like wire harness etc.

Kind of frustrated right now because first the left rear wheel bearing was bad, then there was a squeal at the front left side of the car due to the oil line bracket being loose (might be related to the recall). I know its not as bad as a bad engine but is anyone else having these silly issues at such low mileage?

I can only imagine it getting worse at higher mileage and more track time.
Sponsored

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
That sucks, what is the the error code P0128?

So all this just happened since I talked to you at the track a week ago?

PencilGeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR278, 2008 BMW M3

If I'm not mistaken, the "P" codes are generic, meaning they are common across all manufacturers. The manufacturers may have a much more specific error code with a different value. For example, let's say you have spark issues and your ECU can track them on a per-cylinder basis. P codes can't track an individual cylinder, but instead would be common. In this poorly-worded example, all eight cylinder-specific spark conditions codes would map to the same generic P code.

So now to the point. Here's a wiki I keep for BMW error codes. I list both BMW specific versions, and the more generic P versions. Here's a link to P0128. P0128 is for a malfunctioning coolant thermostat.

http://wiki.rcollins.org/core/index.php/MSS60_Error:_2B59,_P0128

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
There should be more information from DTCs on one of the modules.

I wouldn't be too worried. Just like electronics, most defective-type problems crop up at the very beginning of ownership if they're going to happen at all. High mileage problems are from wear.

OP
OP
rahtid

rahtid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R

It actually started from the week prior to the track day.

Anyways I finally got my car back and it was pretty crazy what they had to do. It seems the coolant had microscopic metal shavings inside and they got stuck in the thermostat which prevents it from closing..... So they had to flush out the coolant and engine multiple times to clean everything out.

They came up with that solution because Ford corp called them and told them
that they've seen this problem before so I'm not the first. I'm wondering if my engine is damaged in any way now, probably should do a dyno run.

Sponsored

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
scary stuff get it checked out bro!

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
It actually started from the week prior to the track day.

Anyways I finally got my car back and it was pretty crazy what they had to do. It seems the coolant had microscopic metal shavings inside and they got stuck in the thermostat which prevents it from closing..... So they had to flush out the coolant and engine multiple times to clean everything out.

They came up with that solution because Ford corp called them and told them
that they've seen this problem before so I'm not the first. I'm wondering if my engine is damaged in any way now, probably should do a dyno run.
Grrrr. Another issue to add on the list...
Good luck [MENTION=19546]rahtid[/MENTION] :cheers: Thanks for posting this info :thumbsup:

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
That sucks man, but at least it got handled.

Someone else reported the same issue a few weeks ago. It appears it is not something they feel the entire engine should be replaced for, which is weird. With my car scheduled to be built in a few weeks I hope this is something they resolve during the manufacturing processes

OP
OP
rahtid

rahtid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Yup, hopefully you guys won't experience my experiences. First my 2016 R was stolen from Flat Rock now this with my 2017 lol.
Sponsored