Other ways to more hp/torque?

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
Forgive my ignorance, been out of the game for years. Besides exhaust, cai or tunes, isn't there anything else left to increase power? What ever happened to porting/polishing heads, bigger throttle bodies, spacers, bigger injectors with higher flow fuel pumps, etc? I left out cams since other threads say there aren't any. Also not looking at nos, turbo, super chargers as a solution. Naturally aspirated only.
Sponsored

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
There isn't as much to gain from the old tricks like underdrive pulleys and throttle bodies and such.

Bigger fuel system is only needed when you have the airflow to require the extra fuel. Air is horsepower, and sets fuel requirements.

Throttle bodies I know some guys replace them but not sure of the gains.

Cams are out there but are expensive. Heads are already pretty impressive.

The big hp/$ numbers come from forced induction and nitrous.

OP
OP
Sal33n

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
Weight is your worst enemy... its also nearly free to get rid of.

Your welcome.
Not really. Besides the back seat, you usually need to replace what you remove with something lighter. That costs.

Sponsored

anotherneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' base GT w/3.55s
These motors are pretty much tapped out N/A. Other than exhaust and a tune the money you put into do cams and heads will be too much for the gain in power, which is why people go boost.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
A built bottom end, ported heads, aggressive cams, CJ intake manifold, longtube headers, and a sweet tune can put 500-520rwhp on pump gas. You would basically be sending your engine out to a builder to accomplish this.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Way cheaper to boost it. If you're looking for more than ~450rwhp, you're going to want to go boost and catapult up to 600rwhp and for probably less money than cams, heads, manifold, etc.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
The heads on the 15's flow nearly as well, and I mean damned close, to the CNC ported B302 heads. They're flowing enough to support 700+whp FI cars.

On these new 5.0's the intake manifold is showing to be a bit of a bottleneck after 6,700-6,800 RPM.

Until Ford releases a new NA 5.0 based Cobra Jet motor to act as a guide I doubt we're going to see much past the basics with NA builds.

The new 15 5.0 has good bones and will be a great N/A motor, better than the Roadrunner I suspect, it's just gonna take time to get there.
Sponsored