Sponsored

Ordering tires today from my regular Discount Tire

TrackpackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT PP
So, it's my daily drive with occasional HPDE visits. As much as I'd like a dry traction tire, I can't deal with 13k miles of life. The only dry tire I'm considering is the Bridgestone S04. I also prefer a stiffer sidewall, and I've heard this one isn't all that stiff.
I believe I've narrowed down the a/s tires to the Cooper RS3A and BF Goodrich Comp 2 A/S. The BFG's were noisy on my son's Mazda6, so we took them back. I haven't really read that from anyone else, so I'll chalk those up as a bad batch or one or two noisy tires. They're rated #2 on Tire Rack as ultra high performance all season. The Coopers have outstanding reviews on Tread Depot, I just have not read a lot about them on cars with some power. Discount is offering extra rebates today on all three, the price is close with the Coopers being the cheapest at $840 installed with road hazard less the $105 in rebates ($740). I don't want to let the price sway my decision, although it doesn't hurt.
Sponsored

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I'm pretty sure people are getting more that 13,000 miles out of the pilot super sports on these cars. They seem like a good choice.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
I have the RS3-A's and love them. Tread is wearing nicely and will definitely be getting some miles out of them. I bought mine from Discount Tire Direct (since no tax vs buying at Discount Tire) and had them installed at Discount Tire.

Another great option on all seasons is DWS06, seems to be highly regarded as well.

OP
OP

TrackpackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT PP
I read about them (DWS06), considerably more money. I got 13k out of my Pirellis, wasn't looking at Michelins. They're $300 each.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I read about them (DWS06), considerably more money. I got 13k out of my Pirellis, wasn't looking at Michelins. They're $300 each.
Most tires outside of Pirelli are actually "you get what you pay for".

Sponsored

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
RUN from those S04's !!!!! I put a set on my wife's Vert & she blew thru them in 15k miles & she is a very conservative driver.

I'd go with the Conti DW (summer only) or DWS06 (all season) or PSS's. Never pays to cheap out on tires.

OP
OP

TrackpackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT PP
The bad part is I sell them at work and don't listen to my own advice.... I just wasn't prepared for 13k miles! I've read nothing but praise for those Coopers though. Ruling out the BFG's now and I guess the S04's. May have to consider the DWS06's, they do have a 50k warranty.

RegDir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT Premium w/ PP
Most tires outside of Pirelli are actually "you get what you pay for".
You get exactly what you pay for with the Pirellis, excellent dry grip/performance and acceptable wet. It's a max performance summer tire. Really don't understand why some people can't grasp this. They are designed to wear out fast. I put about 8-10K miles on my summers each year and then they get tossed.

If tread life is a priority then I would recommend the Michelin MXM4's. Got 50K+ out of these on various sedans over the years

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
They are pricey which is why I didn't get them. My size was $365 a tire. I got $100 a piece continental sport contact 3 knock offs (accelera phi 2) and they seem really good for the money. No complaints at all seem like they will last about 20,000 miles with the 300 tread wear rating.

OP
OP

TrackpackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT PP
The Pirellis don't compare to others costing the same AND wear out in no time

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You get exactly what you pay for with the Pirellis, excellent dry grip/performance and acceptable wet. It's a max performance summer tire. Really don't understand why some people can't grasp this. They are designed to wear out fast. I put about 8-10K miles on my summers each year and then they get tossed.

If tread life is a priority then I would recommend the Michelin MXM4's. Got 50K+ out of these on various sedans over the years
PSS outperform the pirellis in dry and way better in the wet, are similarly priced, wear much better and have very good ride quality and noise for a summer tire. If you're ok with replacing road tires in 10k miles or less, great, but there's better tires that'll go twice that far or more for about the same money.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Whatever you do, don't waste money on all seasons - they're worst of both worlds.

MPSS or S04. I have S04 and they're excellent. I autocrossed on them before getting dedicated set of RE-71Rs and they are still holding up well. I really wouldn't listen to people saying they have soft walls - they probably can't even tell the difference between different tire models.

Also, in the rain S-04s are absolutely awesome (MPSS probably too). Excellent traction.

RegDir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT Premium w/ PP
PSS outperform the pirellis in dry and way better in the wet, are similarly priced, wear much better and have very good ride quality and noise for a summer tire. If you're ok with replacing road tires in 10k miles or less, great, but there's better tires that'll go twice that far or more for about the same money.
Not what I was arguing but thats ok, keep drinking the Michelin kool-aid.

I've run the PSS on a previous car and I can say by direct comparison that they are not as good as Bridgstone in dry performance. I will reserve final judgement on the Pirellis until next year when I go back to bridgestone but I will say it again, the PZero is a sticky tire.

The PSS, like most Michelin tires, is overpriced, not overrated. The PZero, is a better value at $50 less

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Not what I was arguing but thats ok, keep drinking the Michelin kool-aid.

I've run the PSS on a previous car and I can say by direct comparison that they are not as good as Bridgstone in dry performance. I will reserve final judgement on the Pirellis until next year when I go back to bridgestone but I will say it again, the PZero is a sticky tire.

The PSS, like most Michelin tires, is overpriced, not overrated. The PZero, is a better value at $50 less
Comparing to S-04 or RE-11? Hands down the RE-11 is a better dry weather tire for performance only over the PSS. I've been looking at the S-04 as a more value-priced alternate as it's definitely a good tire. That and the Conti DW.

I've owned the PSS and it's an excellent tire. I got 45,000 miles out of them including 3 autocrosses and 1 track day on my previous car. Do they concede a little bit of dry grip to some of the more track-oriented tires? Sure. Do those tires come close on overall road manners/daily livability? Nope. The PSS weren't even scary at 30 deg F when it got unexpectedly cold for a week in late October a couple years ago. Those with the P-zeros can attest to having significant issues below 50 deg, especially on damp roads.

Is the P-zero a sticky summer tire? Yep, just make sure it's 80+ deg outside and it'll grip quite well. They wear poorly and aren't priced low enough for that to be OK.
Sponsored