Sponsored

Optimizing seat position for 6'2"

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Technically, when adjusting your seats, first you want to adjust the height. Make sure your eyes are at the center or above the center line of the windsheild.
Then you adjust the bottom so that when you floor the gas pedal, you knee is slightly bent.
Then you adjust the back and the steering wheel so your wrists can rest on top of the steering wheel.
Also dont forget to adjust the steering wheel height so that your arms can cross in front of it without difficulties.
Last is to adjust the bottom angle so your thighs are supported.
Add lumbar if you like.
I tend to sit a bit back when driving on the road and a bit more forward on track.
Sponsored

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Technically, when adjusting your seats, first you want to adjust the height. Make sure your eyes are at the center or above the center line of the windsheild.
Can't get the seat down far enough to be in that position.
Then you adjust the bottom so that when you floor the gas pedal, you knee is slightly bent.
Thats easier to do.
Then you adjust the back and the steering wheel so your wrists can rest on top of the steering wheel.
If I do that then I'm sitting frog-legged.
Also dont forget to adjust the steering wheel height so that your arms can cross in front of it without difficulties.
Not without another inch or 2 of telescoping.
Last is to adjust the bottom angle so your thighs are supported.
Sure, thats easy enough.
Add lumbar if you like.
Deflating the lumbar moves my hips back another 1/2 inch into the seat.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Can't get the seat down far enough to be in that position.
Thats easier to do.
If I do that then I'm sitting frog-legged.
Not without another inch or 2 of telescoping.
Sure, thats easy enough.
Deflating the lumbar moves my hips back another 1/2 inch into the seat.
Try sitting more up right I guess.
Having long legs definetely don't help.

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Try sitting more up right I guess.
Having long legs definetely don't help.
And then we can't see out from under the mirror. Hence the tip about flipping the mirror upside down. It helps.

Plus I added the washers to get more cushion tilt - a solution for the (long) frog legs symptom.

2blackstangs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT w/ PP | 1993 LX Notch
I read this thread before I picked up my 2016 GT Premium, and it had me worried. I am 6'0" with a 30" inseam. I am mostly torso...

As I was trading in a car, and my car had to be transferred from another state, the dealer loaned me a 2016 V6 (power, cloth seats), and the seating position was far from optimal. Even after adjusting the seat to its lowest position, and as far back as it would go, I wouldn't say I was "comfortable".

However, once I received my GT, I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to adjust the seats to a comfortable position within a few minutes of the test drive.
Maybe it's just in my head, but I'll take it. :)

Sponsored

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
got seating down pretty good now I think... though the wheel is in the way of instrument panels no matter how I tweak it, and it should have had an inch extra lengthwise...

my back is pretty bad so I did have the misfortune of trying to adjust to the seat on my 370 mile drive home... was better the second day :)

almost to the rear, lowest position, seat front tilted up for some thigh support (and to keep me from sliding off these damn slippery leather seats) ... still kind of tweaking the angle of the back though... and the lumbar... guess I'll be playing with those for ages to suit my ever changing back issues :)

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I think where we see the most frustration is the the combination of long legs, long torso and shorter arms. I personally don't like driving with straight arms I want to sit closer to the wheel but then my legs are bent too much. I have tried sitting upright more but then I'm too high and feel like I have to tilt my head down to look out the windsheild properly. 1 more inch is all I ask for, (don't we all). :)

RUN RICH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem. PP
I'm 6' 1" with a 32" inseam. This is the first car I've had where I can't simply put the seat all the way back.

All the way back would be fine for my arms, but I can't get full travel on the clutch.

The seat needs to be forward about 1/4 of the travel. Then the seat back is reclined a bit more than I usually have.

Definitely have to have the seat lowered all the way, or my head is up in the liner and I can't see past the mirror and the lip of the roof.
I have a twin. This is exactly how it is for me.

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
At 6'4" here, I haven't had any issues. Just hopped in, adjusted my seat, and went about my way. Don't really have any complaints.

UglyMutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I thought I was the only one with this issue. I'm 6-3 and I feel like another inch on the steering wheel would do wonders. I've been looking at 350 wheel installs trying to figure out how you could make a spacer for the wheel. Unfortunately this would make the turn signals further away but I could live with that. I may just take it all apart and design something up.

Sponsored

Faster Horses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT with PP
Hi all, I just joined this forum. I'm 6'4' have already covered 10K miles, mixed driving. Former Porsche driver. I could not ever have driven this car comfortably without seat modification, I can't abide sitting that high. I changed to my trusty Cobra Suzaka on a Wedge seat adapter, still haven't got as low or far back as I would like, I could use a little padding, currently it's fine but very little padding. I was worried that I would have to junk the wheel, but I think it's going to be OK, I prefer a very vertical seat position and that does wonders for reach. (You tall guys that are making it fit by raking the seat back angle are asking for back trouble and any track instructor will not be happy). I'm running a taped 3/4'' spacer on the clutch pedal, when i get the seat perfect, I'll screw it down with pedal plates and the heel/toe set up perfect, although it's pretty good stock. I would love to put a racing wheel in, I could loose all the buttons on the right without a problem and I think some nice fabrication for the two pods on the left could be done to a proper racing wheel. I hate these janky, heavy, cluttered wheels.
This is a very cool car, Ford did a great job, very fun to drive, it has only one serious flaw, (besides weight,,,,but hey it's a beast), the steering feel, the texture and information given though the wheel is just about zero.

GDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Deep Impact
I am only 6' with a 28" inseem. I think most of my comfort issues stem from being fat. All that extra fat beneath my legs and ass raise me higher than I should be lol. Gotta do the driver mod.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Back when I had my 2011 I posted a similar question over at Mustangforums.com. Recently this was posted as a response. A very detailed video for replacing the wheel but I'm not sure I want to go that route and lose all the buttons. Check in out

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
5'10" here and can't stand the set-up. Seat doesn't go low enough. Pedals are too close to the driver. Steering wheel isn't close enough. My '05 was bad, but not this bad.

Ford has no idea how to design comfortable seating positions.

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
5'10" here and can't stand the set-up. Seat doesn't go low enough. Pedals are too close to the driver. Steering wheel isn't close enough. My '05 was bad, but not this bad.

Ford has no idea how to design comfortable seating positions.
I think you are doing something wrong. Several 6' plus owners (my 6'4" self included) are able to get very comfortable seat positions.
Sponsored