Sponsored

OPG FAILED last night, street car.

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks man! I was very impressed with Boundary's OPG's price as well, got them for $199!! I also liked their Harry Potter style letter containing the warranty info and a list of pre-checks and measurements done on the gears as well as using a lubricated vacuum seal before shipping them out. I went TSS Crank Gear because I've heard good things about them too and the price of $250 was solid! I also chose ATI because of their history and the fact that Ford is "OK" with using their balancers and use it on their cobra jet car as well.

Nice choice on items, and I'm really impressed with boundary OPG's I just can't get over that they sells for $120 less than the competition makes me wonder how do they do it. They are in the OPG business for many cars and really have some nice information on there product.
Sponsored

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Nice choice on items, and I'm really impressed with boundary OPG's I just can't get over that they sells for $120 less than the competition makes me wonder how do they do it. They are in the OPG business for many cars and really have some nice information on there product.
They do it because the other company used to be the only game in town and could charge whatever they wanted. Supply & Demand...

blown302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 mustang gt/2004 svt cobra/2016 GT PP
"I let it rip in first spinning to 7 k then shifted to second spun to 6-7k then shift third all traction and then 4 th at the top of forth". You said you don't drive crazy or race?
Driving it like that fits both categories. The stock weak links show up quick under boost and full throttle.

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
"I let it rip in first spinning to 7 k then shifted to second spun to 6-7k then shift third all traction and then 4 th at the top of forth". You said you don't drive crazy or race?
Driving it like that fits both categories. The stock weak links show up quick under boost and full throttle.
I've done that a couple times at best and I can't imagine drag racing is easier on the engine. Whipple has done much more extensive and abusive durability testing with the stock motor to develop their system and calibration. I guarantee if you would have been a fly on the wall in my car for the last 6 months you would have been saying really is this thing supercharged or what, step on it man.

Tugger50H

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
:thumbsup: Hope everything works out with your car. Also wanted to give you props for making me spend a bunch of money on OPG, TG, and a damper. Just got the car back last night. :D

Sponsored

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Well you guys have been patient and the results are in. First startup was smooth with a moment of noise as it built oil pressure for the first time about a second. Oil pressure was good and engine sounded so smooth my heart was singing with joy:) I stepped out of the car and then the car settled down a bit in rpm and I imagine the cams started coming unlocked and working doing there thing and I started hearing a tick tick tick and some clatter. I turned the car off and sat for a bit biting my nails then tried it again a couple more times. When it first starts up it seems to sound normal for about 10 seconds then starts ticking. Maybe the cam timing is off when I changed the OPG (I really don't think so) but when it starts cams are locked for 10 seconds and when they start to move the timing is off and it makes noise. Liley it's a bad bearing somewhere heating up after running for 10-15 seconds and making noise. See for yourself in the video. Please be positive and don't say I told you so, this was purely a shot in the dark trying to get this to run, I already new that.

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Well you guys have been patient and the results are in. First startup was smooth with a moment of noise as it built oil pressure for the first time about a second. Oil pressure was good and engine sounded so smooth my heart was singing with joy:) I stepped out of the car and then the car settled down a bit in rpm and I imagine the cams started coming unlocked and working doing there thing and I started hearing a tick tick tick and some clatter. I turned the car off and sat for a bit biting my nails then tried it again a couple more times. When it first starts up it seems to sound normal for about 10 seconds then starts ticking. Maybe the cam timing is off when I changed the OPG (I really don't think so) but when it starts cams are locked for 10 seconds and when they start to move the timing is off and it makes noise. Liley it's a bad bearing somewhere heating up after running for 10-15 seconds and making noise. See for yourself in the video. Please be positive and don't say I told you so, this was purely a shot in the dark trying to get this to run, I already new that.

You had to try. Any thoughts to what's next?

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
Yea, right there at the end when you shut it off, that sounds like the bottom end. What is your oil pressure?

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Opg wont take timng off. You mean Timing Gear? You change TG?
Guessing rod slap? Wrist pin? Rod at crank?
I would expect to hear it immediately on start up.
Doesnt sound like all cylinders.
Pan and check rods n crank?
Or just pull motor n get it built?

Edit* listened 10 more times and it sounds like more than 1 cylinder especialy at the end.
Thinkn rods at piston.

Think you get the valiant effort award. Wheres the go fund me link?

Last edited:

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BASE (sold)16 LPF 62mm 16 Whipple 15 VMP MT-82
I would have tried putting it together too. You have nothing but time to loose. I can tell you that sounds very similar to a spun bearing. I would not continue to run it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Yea, right there at the end when you shut it off, that sounds like the bottom end. What is your oil pressure?
Opg wont take timng off. You mean Timing Gear? You change TG?
Guessing rod slap? Wrist pin? Rod at crank?
I would expect to hear it immediately on start up.
Doesnt sound like all cylinders.
Pan and check rods n crank?
Or just pull motor n get it built?

Edit* listened 10 more times and it sounds like more than 1 cylinder especialy at the end.
Thinkn rods at piston.

Think you get the valiant effort award. Wheres the go fund me link?
I would have tried putting it together too. You have nothing but time to loose. I can tell you that sounds very similar to a spun bearing. I would not continue to run it.
Here is another video of it started and running sounds even worse now. I won't be running it anymore. Not sure if I'll do a stock crate motor $6700 or try a rebuild. I need some advice here and input becuase I'm not sure a rebuild will cost as opposed to the crate motor. I have not done a complete engine rebuild myself but have done work cam and head work and dropped a new motor into my 92lx. I'm deciding on if I'm up to the task myself or do I want to try and find a shop unknown who around here is good (I live in the sticks) and hate to have an unknown build my motor.

I'm not trying to spend a ton of money on an overbuilt motor either, I only need it to handle the Whipple Kit at 700 whp or below so a crate motor would work with upgraded OPG and timing gear.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
IMO you should take the motor out and tear it down and see what is salvageable. If you were needing a new short block you would repair and re use your heads anyways.

Texican1911

Ford Certified Sales Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a Lightning Blue with Midnight Blue 20" wheels Safe & Smart, Active Exhaust, Shaker
Thanks man! I was very impressed with Boundary's OPG's price as well, got them for $199!! I also liked their Harry Potter style letter containing the warranty info and a list of pre-checks and measurements done on the gears as well as using a lubricated vacuum seal before shipping them out. I went TSS Crank Gear because I've heard good things about them too and the price of $250 was solid! I also chose ATI because of their history and the fact that Ford is "OK" with using their balancers and use it on their cobra jet car as well.
TSS OPG is also in CJ.

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Here is another video of it started and running sounds even worse now. I won't be running it anymore. Not sure if I'll do a stock crate motor $6700 or try a rebuild. I need some advice here and input becuase I'm not sure a rebuild will cost as opposed to the crate motor. I have not done a complete engine rebuild myself but have done work cam and head work and dropped a new motor into my 92lx. I'm deciding on if I'm up to the task myself or do I want to try and find a shop unknown who around here is good (I live in the sticks) and hate to have an unknown build my motor.

I'm not trying to spend a ton of money on an overbuilt motor either, I only need it to handle the Whipple Kit at 700 whp or below so a crate motor would work with upgraded OPG and timing gear.

If the heads are still good, Livernois had a really nice short block for $5500 (I think).

Looking forward to seeing what you find and end up with.
Sponsored