Yetti2005

Yetti2005

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ya I can try to get the service docs for the engine. Your car is 2018+?

The hope would be that you can leave the exhaust manifold on the heads when you take the heads out cause getting the manifold off is a real pain.
Thank you, really appreciate the help but I’ve just spoken to Modurstang ref @Twin Turbo and the car is going there for repair. They said it is really more likely to be the oil cooler but will check it when there. I’ll update the post once it’s sorted (one way or the other)

thanks to everyone for your help!
Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Thanks mines a 2018 reg but is prefacelift so probably manufactured in 2017
yeah for sure. I believe even the facelift models have had same failures of the oil cooler, you;d have thought with Fords part bin size this type of trouble just wouldn't happen. Hopefully you get back on the road quickly without too much cost, think about upgrade engine ? Stronger engine for supercharging later down the line?

OP
OP
Yetti2005

Yetti2005

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
yeah for sure. I believe even the facelift models have had same failures of the oil cooler, you;d have thought with Fords part bin size this type of trouble just wouldn't happen. Hopefully you get back on the road quickly without too much cost, think about upgrade engine ? Stronger engine for supercharging later down the line?
Cheers, I’m getting too old for superchargers… I’d have to double up on my tenna man-pants😂

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Any images of the coolant tank w/the oil in it?

Was there staining of the tank walls that made you aware, or was it just obvious that it could be seen that oil was floating on the coolant surface when you opened the reservoir?

OP
OP
Yetti2005

Yetti2005

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Any images of the coolant tank w/the oil in it?

Was there staining of the tank walls that made you aware, or was it just obvious that it could be seen that oil was floating on the coolant surface when you opened the reservoir?
it had a brown tinge and some slight foaming in the top of the tank. If you dip your finger in it came out oily but toward the bottom of the tank the clearer coolant could be seen

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yetti2005

Yetti2005

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just a quick update. Modurstang completed the oil cooler upgrade, oil and coolant system flush, and new coolant reservoir this week. Great people there and very happy my stang is back in one piece!

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Isn't the whole engine supposed to be replaced, along with radiator and hoses, when this failure happens?
The Ford TSB states that this is what has to be done, if the cooler is not replaced before the failure happens.

What drove them to just change the tank and the cooler?

OP
OP
Yetti2005

Yetti2005

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
There was a trace of oil in the water. Engine wasn’t run after that was seen and it was transported to them. They’ve done a lot of them and based on other people’s reviews I trusted their judgement
Sponsored