Sponsored

oil expert plz help: Motorcraft Mercon LV ATF Synthetic or not?

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
from my own research it is not a full Synthetic ATF.

XT-10-QLVC

Motorcraft® MERCON® LV is a premium-quality automatic transmission fluid recommended by Ford Motor Company for use in Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles that require MERCON® LV type fluid. This product also provides excellent performance in electronically controlled automatic transmissions. Check Owner Guide and transmission fluid charts for application

Motorcraft® MERCON® LV is manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives, which provide excellent shifting characteristics at high and low ambient temperatures and guards against transmission shudder. This fluid has excellent thermal, oxidation and shear stability and good low temperature fluidity. It provides wear protection and inhibits the formation of gum, sludge, lacquer and foam. It also prevents against rust and corrosion. It is dyed red for ease of leak detection

For use in 2012 and forward Torque on Demand transfer cases

Do not use in applications where MERCON® V, MERCON® SP (exceptTorqShift®), Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended, or in conventional transfer cases

Refer to the Motorcraft® MERCON® LV product data sheet at the link below for additional information. For MSDS information call 1-800-448-2063
Note: MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission Fluid is available in bulk quantities at substantial savings. Use of bulk oil products is environmentally proactive. Contact your FCSD Aftermarket Account Manager, an approved Motorcraft® Bulk Oil Distributor, or www.Motorcraft.com for details.

found an replacement ATF and it says

http://www.peakauto.com/products/fu...thetic-dexron-vi-mercon-lv-multi-vehicle-atf/

"Resestance to thickening due to high temperature"

that sounds like exactly what I need.

honestly for 2.5 quarts (2.4L) of ATF, I want to use the best stuff possible. my guts is telling me the Motorcraft ATF is far, far away from the best available.

Just wondering, what is the best ATF that is full Synthetic for a tech pack owner like me.

Thanks
Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
honestly for 2.5 quarts (2.4L) of ATF, I want to use the best stuff possible. my guts is telling me the Motorcraft ATF is far, far away from the best available.
And do you have any power train design experience that trumps that of the Ford design engineers who live and breath this stuff?

I would call FP and tremec before you make a fluid swap based on gut feelings.

Helmet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
What Krt22 said, you could void your powertrain warranty if it's not Ford spec'd

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250

Sponsored

Hughespj47

HughesPJ47
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 Track Pack, '09 MINI Cooper S, 94 SHO
Aftermarket oil should be Ok as long as it meets the appropriate Ford Spec. Of course, some will be better than others. Lots of good posts regarding Amsoil.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.

FORDSTANGER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP
Stick with the specs.

But I had good success wth Syncromesh in WCs and tremecs a long time ago. I worked in a trans shop for a few years and learned that the worse enemy of transmissions was wrong spec of oil and over/under servicing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
I'd be wary of using the above, generic Tremec pdf that is a bit dated. The data there is GM related and was out well before Ford developed their TR3160 along with Tremec.

As per Ford/Motorcraft, you should be using Mercon LV. Part number XT-10-QLV.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/mantrans.pdf
I know Dexron is GM related, but if you look at the source it has the same gearing as the the GT350 in there, along with a mention of a weight reduction option....

Mercon isn't some magic stuff made just for manual transmissions. Mercon is just Ford's equivalent of a current Dexron mix.

However, I would be careful using synthetic ATFs that are not made for manual transmissions. Different style syncros can be finicky about the fluid they like.

I probably tried ten different kinds of gear oil in my old toploader four speed in my vintage car until I found something that shifted good and still held up well.

I probably will not be an early adopter of something different than stock. I'll probably change the fluid after every couple track days. I'm also assuming the drain plug has a magnet. If it doesn't, I'll be adding one.
Sponsored