Sponsored

Oil change, time vs mileage, and computer reminder

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
All,

Ok, so I've had my Mustang for a little over a year. It has about 2,400 miles on it now.

The computer is now telling me that I'm due for an oil change. I assume that this is because of the time passed rather than the mileage.

I do have a few questions, though.

• Does full synthetic hold up to mileage and time sitting better than synthetic blend?
  • If so, when resetting the oil life in the system, is there a way to indicate that there's full synthetic in the car? Or will the computer always assume that synthetic blend is in there?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

yellowstangatl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Orange Fury GT
The computer is probably not gonna prompt until 10000 miles. I'd change before then regardless of oil choice.
All,

Ok, so I've had my Mustang for a little over a year. It has about 2,400 miles on it now.

The computer is now telling me that I'm due for an oil change. I assume that this is because of the time passed rather than the mileage.

I do have a few questions, though.

• Does full synthetic hold up to mileage and time sitting better than synthetic blend?
  • If so, when resetting the oil life in the system, is there a way to indicate that there's full synthetic in the car? Or will the computer always assume that synthetic blend is in there?

Thanks in advance.

mm2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Since they say it will last 10k miles, I typically change mine every 5k or so. As for a new car like yours, I'd change it at 3k and then start the 5k intervals.

People do it all sorts of different ways. Some change it at 1k miles and then every 3k.

I don't run the full 10k miles because the filter, the oil may hold up for that long, but I don't know about the filter.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
As you know, time and mileage as well as operating conditions all determine when you'll need an oil change. The computer can't be programmed to know if you're using blend or full synthetic oil. I'd trust the computer a bit more then just changing every 3k or 5k.

Modern oils last much longer then 3k-5k these days. Changing your oil at 3k is a waste of money....unless it's your very first change.

Ford says to go up to one year or 10,000 miles for both normal or extreme conditions.

I personally plan to change at 20% remaining on the computer...so ~ 8,000 mile intervals.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The reminder is both time and millage based so if you buy the car but never drive it and wait 12 months, the reminder will go to 0%. If you drive a lot it will go to 0% if you already hit 10k miles in 3 months.

OP
OP

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
I've generally driven mostly highway, with the very occasional leaning heavily on the throttle from a stop.

I had a suspicion that time passing was accounted for. On a related note, that was why I was considering full synthetic rather than synthetic blend, as I'd been under the impression that, when it comes to mileage as well as time (in use or sitting)

• Synthetic blend lasts longer than traditional oil
  • Full Synthetic lasts longer than Synthetic blend

I wonder now if this was possibly a mistaken assumption, at least in part.

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
[ame]

Otherwise, check your dipstick regularly. It's the only 100% way to know if it's time to change your oil.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Depends on your climate, though only to a small degree. Moisture will build up when the vehicle sits and if you drive just short trips it won't all evaporate which exaggerates the issue. This is why you should be changing your oil at the manufacturer recommended intervals, it is inexpensive insurance against issues and keeps your warranty unquestionably intact.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I don't run the full 10k miles because the filter, the oil may hold up for that long, but I don't know about the filter.
Mobil 1 filters good up to 15k miles, synthetic elements. I still change mine around 10k or so. TBN test will verify how long you can really go. TBN tested all the older cars at the house and they were all good for 10k

Sponsored

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Mobil 1 filters good up to 15k miles, synthetic elements. I still change mine around 10k or so. TBN test will verify how long you can really go. TBN tested all the older cars at the house and they were all good for 10k
Amsoil has their EAO filters, too.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ..._medium=OrderConfirm&utm_campaign=ProdSummary

Service Life
When used in conjunction with AMSOIL synthetic motor oils, AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters are guaranteed for extended service life:

Ea Filters designated with product code Ea15K are recommended for 15,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, in normal or severe service.
Ea Filters designated with product code EaO are recommended for 25,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, in normal service or 15,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, in severe service.

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I changed mine at right around 1 year old and 4400 miles. I had the oil and filter sitting around for quite a while. A friend about 150 miles away has a lift and it took us a while to get together with the lift available, otherwise would have changed it much sooner.

My oil life was around 30% and dropped very quickly to 2% with a warning to change it every time I started the car. I believe the big drop was based on time.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Just change it? It's not that expensive honestly. You barely drive your car. Think of all the stuff that has settled to the oil pan, etc. The manual should tell you what the recommend OCI's are. It's not just millage but time as well. I am changing mine every 5k miles, actually scheduled this Friday for my 2nd change since having the car (hit 10k miles). Typically I change my own oil but since it only cost around $45 to have a dealership do it, I just go that route so it's documented with the VIN.

OP
OP

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interestingly, I thought the same as well, and brought it to the dealer to get it done. The person at the shop said that I should hold off until about 5k miles, even though I told him the car (and oil in it) was just over a year old...

I do make sure to NOT use it for short trips, though.

Any which way, I'll probably get it done last week of the year.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
My '16 and '08 are garage queens and are each driven a couple of times a month.
The oil is changed every 6 months with full synthetic.
Sponsored