Duston@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Duston
Vehicle(s)
BMW 535i GT
Personally that's why I love Fumoto style valves like the one UPR makes, you can control the amount of flow much better, or even hook up a high temp oil rated hose to drain directly into the basin. Even so, I still use an oil spill mat around it all. You can also unscrew the filter using a large plastic cup to catch the excess.
Sponsored

OP
OP

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT 6spd, 2019 GT PP1 A10
Personally that's why I love Fumoto style valves like the one UPR makes, you can control the amount of flow much better, or even hook up a high temp oil rated hose to drain directly into the basin. Even so, I still use an oil spill mat around it all. You can also unscrew the filter using a large plastic cup to catch the excess.
I loved the concept of the fumoto drain valve, but depending on where your drain plug is, its not for certain applications. I had one on my Elantra, which has a bottom drain plug. I put about 100 miles per day on it, so I did frequent oil changes. The fumoto hangs lower than the standard drain screw and it got caught on a man hole cover on a road that was getting repaved. It sheared off and made quite an oily mess. I knew exactly what happened and pulled over. Needless to say, I had it towed to my shop and I put the original plug back in. It was convenient while it lasted.

Duston@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Duston
Vehicle(s)
BMW 535i GT
I loved the concept of the fumoto drain valve, but depending on where your drain plug is, its not for certain applications. I had one on my Elantra, which has a bottom drain plug. I put about 100 miles per day on it, so I did frequent oil changes. The fumoto hangs lower than the standard drain screw and it got caught on a man hole cover on a road that was getting repaved. It sheared off and made quite an oily mess. I knew exactly what happened and pulled over. Needless to say, I had it towed to my shop and I put the original plug back in. It was convenient while it lasted.
Yep, I don't recommend them for BMW vehicles either as the oil drain plug is on the bottom of the pan facing down. Thankfully Mustangs, Broncos and F150s can make much better use of them.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Do you have a part number for a 2015 Mustang GT?
I use this in my 2016 and others with 2015-17 do:

https://www.femco.com/compact-drain-set-sb-7910153-m12x175-t9/

The M12 x 1.75 is the thread size of your oil pan. The T9 in the part number refers to thread length in mm and is closest to the thickness of your oil pan drain boss.

If you already have a Femco drainer you can just buy the valve instead of that combo.

But you can get a large base and/or regular size (basically the width and depth of the blank the valve is made from. Large base is wider than small base, duh. Compact is shorter than the regular, also duh. Femco can and does make all 4 types for a given drain thread size, plus numerous thread length options which matters more for vertical valves to allow all oil to drain.

For more info:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/oil-drain-valves.55750/

Femco has a lookup but it is pretty much useless. My take is someone at Femco once said: why don't we sell valves to civilians (non-fleet owners)? Sure, knock yourself out but leave us alone. It is horribly outdated, doesn't even look up by model/year but by engine size (Fox body and 2011-up aren't the same 5.0...duh), and to top it off doesn't even show you all the options but just some of several versions that will work.

For a 2015 you'll need an M12x175. Search results here. Can't vouch for completeness:

https://www.femco.com/products/?_search_products=12x1.75

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
For filter change, I use a large square of heavy duty aluminum foil to tuck up and all around the filter so that any errant oil can run down foil into catch pan. Loosen partially and let er run down side of filter a while to debork before she goes weeble wobbles.

On drain plug yea lol especially when warm and ready to gush. Try leave tip in and just cocked slightly up to keep hand from getting hosed for first minute or two before going full retard.
Requires putting beer down so meh? :beer:

Sponsored

OP
OP

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
For filter change, I use a large square of heavy duty aluminum foil to tuck up and all around the filter so that any errant oil can run down foil into catch pan. Loosen partially and let er run down side of filter a while to debork before she goes weeble wobbles.

On drain plug yea lol especially when warm and ready to gush. Try leave tip in and just cocked slightly up to keep hand from getting hosed for first minute or two before going full retard.
Requires putting beer down so meh? :beer:
Last time I left the tip in, someone was calling me daddy.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
I read the comments on these forums about the new style plug, so I was ready to keep it partially in place during my first drain. Then, I put in a Femco plug. It's a really nice made piece....anxious to see how it works at my next change.

Sponsored
OP
OP

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I have one that's similar. My complaint with this is that the sides are low and it didn't keep up with the flow. I even had the vent open.
Weird, I've never been able to overflow this one. Either with the front jacked up or the whole car jacked up and level

OP
OP

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
I know you guys are going to think I'm pussing out, but my mechanic is willing to do the labor for an oil change for $30. I'd supply the consumables. I'm particular about my oil and filter and it far surpasses anything he uses. In retrospect, by the time I drag out the ramps/tools, take an oil bath, pour the oil in containers, clean up, drop the containers off... You know what I'm getting at. And if I go at the end of the day, he'll throw back a few cans of beer with me. Sounds like a win, win!

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
It is all about knowing the person that changes it will do a great job and correctly. I agree on a good mechanic as you have would be the way to go.

I know you guys are going to think I'm pussing out, but my mechanic is willing to do the labor for an oil change for $30. I'd supply the consumables. I'm particular about my oil and filter and it far surpasses anything he uses. In retrospect, by the time I drag out the ramps/tools, take an oil bath, pour the oil in containers, clean up, drop the containers off... You know what I'm getting at. And if I go at the end of the day, he'll throw back a few cans of beer with me. Sounds like a win, win!

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I tape a big backsplash to the oil drain pan. :)

mustang_oil_drain_20190426_120919_resized.jpg
Sponsored