Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If you pay $50K it's a $50K car. You know, when I heard here about panel fit issues I didn't take people's word for it. I went down to a few large dealers and found about 25% of the cars on the lot had some body defect that would justify a run through a body shop, or a QC hold prior to leaving the factory. Most of the time it was the front fascia or rear bumper alignment, sometimes the hood. It boggles my mind that in 2017 all panels don't just fit, period. Go to a Toyota/Honda dealer. It doesn't matter if you are looking at an $18000 Corolla/Civic or a $50000 loaded Highlander/Pilot, the panels all just fit. I guess that's why so many Ford execs lost their bonus last year. Maybe this year will see improvement.
Its not that they can't have better panel fit, its that Ford believes the amount better fit would add to the price would lose more sales than the bad fit does. Are they right? I don't know, but it wasn't a toss of the coin decision. They have reason to believe it. Remember, every one on this forum and every other Mustang buyer still bought the car. Some live with it, some get it fixed after the sale, but they still buy them. So personally, I blame all the rest of you for my poorly fitted panels. If you all had higher standards, my car would be perfect. ;)
Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Its not that they can't have better panel fit, its that Ford believes the amount better fit would add to the price would lose more sales than the bad fit does. Are they right? I don't know, but it wasn't a toss of the coin decision. They have reason to believe it. Remember, every one on this forum and every other Mustang buyer still bought the car. Some live with it, some get it fixed after the sale, but they still buy them. So personally, I blame all the rest of you for my poorly fitted panels. If you all had higher standards, my car would be perfect. ;)
I have not bought one yet and this is probably the biggest thing holding me back. How much advertising or rebates and incentives do they need to offset this QC issue? How do you convince somebody that sending their brand new $40K car to the body shop immediately is OK? I am absolutely convinced that panel fit is marketing money being thrown away.

If I was a Ford exec reading this (and I hope they do) I would be beating myself, and tomorrow I would be beating my QC lead. Why is this even a subject for discussion? Why are people on the "2018 refresh" thread talking about this instead of the 460HP, 10 speed auto or digital cluster!!!

Just out of curiosity I went to a Corolla forum and did s search for "panel alignment" - zero hits. Here - 18 threads, over 1200 posts. This is a purely self inflicted wound by Ford. Here is my idea, take 10% of your marketing budget and use it to fix the panel fit. It will be the best advertising dollars ever spent.

Pablo GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman S
Who remembers the Pinto gas tank issue? Sometimes management makes the executive decision that they just don't care. Maybe they working hard to to fix and just can't get there. I don't know. But...I'm not basing my decision on panel gaps. Dealer won't care when I trade it in. If I buy this car it will be based on Value/Performance compared to the competition.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Yeah, but 2018 Mustangs costs as much as 2018 Camaro, so they can't argue with their price anymore. And 460hp is nice, but they still have to proof that's it's faster than the SS, which also get a facelift with power bump next year.

Of course other cars can have bad alignment too. But it's rare and only affects a few cars. On the Mustang it's standard. There is just bad fitment on specific parts that every S550 has, like where the body and the fender should match at the rearlight.

I mean, it was not a dealbreaker for me when I got my S550. But with launch of the facelift I just expect that they fix issues like the bad aligned rear window, clearly visible on the 3rd brake light, that is a problem since the first S550.

What I also don't understand is why they paint the upper grille on the facelift, but the rest of the plastic parts comes unpainted. I clearly would pay another $500 if they could color the lower grille, splitter and diffusor at the factory. Also this is something that Chevrolet already does, but Ford doesn't care about

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Of course other cars can have bad alignment too. But it's rare and only affects a few cars. On the Mustang it's standard. There is just bad fitment on specific parts that every S550 has, like where the body and the fender should match at the rearlight.
The fitment on my S550 is perfect. The fitment on most that I see is perfect. Maybe it will sag over time...who knows. If you do a google search on panel gap for almost every manufacturer...you'll find a slew of images with the same complaints.

I mean, it was not a dealbreaker for me when I got my S550. But with launch of the facelift I just expect that they fix issues like the bad aligned rear window, clearly visible on the 3rd brake light, that is a problem since the first S550.
Again, mine is A-OK. I'm not certain why you would expect anything to change when they ware using the same tooling/assembly equipment. If there hasn't been a slew of complaints/warranty issues...then they aren't touching it. And even with complaints...if they don't feel it will affect sales, again...no reason for them to change.

What I also don't understand is why they paint the upper grille on the facelift, but the rest of the plastic parts comes unpainted. I clearly would pay another $500 if they could color the lower grille, splitter and diffusor at the factory. Also this is something that Chevrolet already does, but Ford doesn't care about
I don't mind the non-painted plastic. Lord knows I already have enough rock chips to touch up....I sure as hell don't want MORE.

I don't actually like the MY18 painted upper grill. I like the contrast between the flat on the grill/air dam and the gloss on the paint. Different strokes maybe.

Sponsored

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
I don't mind the non-painted plastic. Lord knows I already have enough rock chips to touch up....I sure as hell don't want MORE.
My thoughts exactly. If I were to buy a GT the first thing I'd do is yank out the grille and put in an EcoBoost one. They look better anyway.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
[MENTION=25009]millhouse[/MENTION]: Than your would be the first S550 I know that don't have problems like the attached examples

Don't get how you love the cheap plastic look. Reminds me of a Dacia :headbonk:
IMG_0850.JPG
IMG_0856.JPG
Spaltmass.jpg
spm3Jpv.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1456094176530.jpg

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
[MENTION=25009]millhouse[/MENTION]: Than your would be the first S550 I know that don't have problems like the attached examples

Don't get how you love the cheap plastic look. Reminds me of a Dacia :headbonk:
I don't have a single one of those issues. The only issue I had was the right rear 1/4 window trim was coming apart. I had that fixed under warranty with a new 1/4 window.

As for the cheap plastic....throw the same thing on a Porsche and it will be called exotic. Many manufacturers have un-painted plastics and composites on their cars. Hell, cheap sofas come with fake suede (microfiber) material. Throw the same damn thing in a car with a exotic label (Alcantara) and it becomes an expensive option.

Last edited:

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I'll check mine for these exact same issues as mine was built in May when I get home. I'm pretty sure these don't exist though.

You're only going to hear about the people who complain about it on the forum, not the several thousand without issues.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Jeeeezus Ace just go trade they awful hunk of sh!t in on something nice already.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I'll check mine for these exact same issues as mine was built in May when I get home. I'm pretty sure these don't exist though.

You're only going to hear about the people who complain about it on the forum, not the several thousand without issues.
I do not base my opinion on forum reports. I've been to a few big dealers with decent numbers of Mustangs sitting on the lot. My casual observation was that about 25% have some pretty bad panel alignment issue. I'm not talking something that just isn't "perfect" but something that should be corrected before sending to the customer. The other 75% have panel fit that I would put in the acceptable range (although not perfect).

It bugs me because you otherwise have a great car. It amazes me that Ford has gone the mile but needs to just got the extra inch. They've done all the hard engineering and design work, just put it together straight! It's like a kid not putting their name on their homework.

Again, if I were a Ford exec, I would look at this as a marketing problem. Mustang is Ford icon and serves as a symbol of Ford wherever it goes. It need to be right. Take some advertising money and form a special team to figure out how to fix it forever.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
WTH? Mine looks flawless as far as panels go.
Sponsored