Odd experience with tailgating yesterday

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!
Guy was a jerk off. I actually enjoy when people do that, i just take my foot off the gas, when we both hit around 40, they get tired and come around. I wave : P
Sponsored

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
I had an state cop in an unmarked car (a Mustang, no less) do this one time. No way to tell from the front that it was a statey, but after he passed me I could see the borders of the police lights in his back window. I assumed he was trying to get me to do something stupid but got bored after a minute or two.

They've stopped using the unmarked Mustangs around here now, and they've moved on to Malibus.
I had the same thing happen to me about 20yrs ago driving home to Elizabeth Colorado from Denver late at night in a heads/cam 5.0. He came up and rode my ass while I was doing 5mph under the limit. After a few miles of riding my bumper, I was about to downshift and leave him when we went under a street light and I saw his light bar on top of the car. At the county line, he made a U-turn and headed back the other way.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The left lane is not for driving in.... if you are in the left lane and someone is on your ass it is because you don't know how to drive. Driving under the speed limit is a moving violation if it is hindering the car behind you, or traffic from passing you.

It is NOT against the law to go over the speed limit to pass someone. It is against the law to be DRIVING above the speed limit. Passing and driving are two different things... the driver has to maintain traffic.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Incorrect. It's called a speed limit for a reason. Passing a slower moving vehicles by exceeding the set speed limit is not technically legal, however is subject to officer discretion in most jurisdictions.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
The left lane is not for driving in.... if you are in the left lane and someone is on your ass it is because you don't know how to drive. Driving under the speed limit is a moving violation if it is hindering the car behind you, or traffic from passing you.
Close. If you are in the left lane and passing someone, that's legal. If you are in the left lane passing people at a decent clip and the guy behind you is a foot off your bumper, he's a jerk.

It is NOT against the law to go over the speed limit to pass someone. It is against the law to be DRIVING above the speed limit. Passing and driving are two different things... the driver has to maintain traffic.
Incorrect. It's called a speed limit for a reason. Passing a slower moving vehicles by exceeding the set speed limit is not technically legal, however is subject to officer discretion in most jurisdictions.
Varies by jurisdiction. In Massachusetts, for example, you need to be exceeding the speed limit for more than 1/4 mile on a highway before you can be ticketed, 1/8 of a mile on local roads, and can be nailed in a school zone immediately.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Yes, to govern the AVERAGE speed of traffic.

If you are the only person on the highway, driving above the speed limit (ie: 5mph ovr) is 100% acceptable, because there is no "traffic" and as an individual driver you can maintain your own safe driving condition.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

If you are the only person on the highway, driving above the speed limit (ie: 5mph ovr) is 100% acceptable, because there is no "traffic" and as an individual driver you can maintain your own safe driving condition.
It's acceptable to the extent that an officer is willing to apply discretion. Speed limits are not an advisement. It is a statutory limit. Not trying to be a jerk, and yes in most cases you would not be targeted, but an officer has every right to stop you once you exceed the speed limit.
It is a handy tool for LE to use when justifying a stop on a suspicious vehicle when there is no other justification.

RugbyRef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same thing happen to me about 20yrs ago driving home to Elizabeth Colorado from Denver late at night in a heads/cam 5.0. He came up and rode my ass while I was doing 5mph under the limit. After a few miles of riding my bumper, I was about to downshift and leave him when we went under a street light and I saw his light bar on top of the car. At the county line, he made a U-turn and headed back the other way.
Whew!!! :whew:

Deleted member 35644

Let your car gently drift over the line onto the shoulder. If your roads are like any of the ones in Texas, they're so polluted with crap, it'll throw gravel behind you. He needs a few rock chips to modify his driving style.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
This right here is exactly the reason I run front and rear cams. I find some people drive like complete idiots as soon as they see a Mustang, or any similar car. I don't know what it is.

Where I live, tailgating isn't so much the problem... but people who cut you off . I've lost count how many times some goof barely doing the speed limit on the highway, with no one in front of them, will change into my lane as I am coming up to pass and block me. I can be cruising along minding my own business and come upon one of these slowpokes, signal and change to the fast lane 10 car lengths behind them ... but once I get closer than 3-4 car lengths, they will move over and cut me off. I don't get it. More often than not it's some jack ass in an entry level BMW or Audi... Lots of idiots out there.
When I was in high school my criminal law teacher openly braggrd about doing this to people. He said they have no reason to be speeding so he's going to cut them off to slow them down. I'll never forget that incident. If I had all the years of driving under my belt that I do now (as opposed to owning my license for maybe 6 months at the time) I would have had a few good words for the prick.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I was in high school my criminal law teacher openly braggrd about doing this to people. He said they have no reason to be speeding so he's going to cut them off to slow them down. I'll never forget that incident. If I had all the years of driving under my belt that I do now (as opposed to owning my license for maybe 6 months at the time) I would have had a few good words for the prick.
If everyone took the emotional aspect of driving less seriously we'd all be in a better place. I'll say this, one never knows the reason for someone speeding down a roadway. Maybe they're having a baby, or a kidney stone! I've seen it.
We're humans. We have people who have needs, animals that get sick, grandparents dying In the hospital that we must make a flight to see. It happens.
Is it mostly some jerks performance? More than likely. But we don't really know.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase

Dreamer.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
If everyone took the emotional aspect of driving less seriously we'd all be in a better place. I'll say this, one never knows the reason for someone speeding down a roadway. Maybe they're having a baby, or a kidney stone! I've seen it.
We're humans. We have people who have needs, animals that get sick, grandparents dying In the hospital that we must make a flight to see. It happens.
Is it mostly some jerks performance? More than likely. But we don't really know.
Exactly. Just let people be. If someone is weaving in and out of traffic, not using turn signals, riding dangerously close to everyone, and causing problems; then that's a different story. If someone is just hauling ass in a straight line? Let them. The person cutting off the speeder is causing greater risk, in this scenario, anyways. The self righteous individuals who have a closet control complex really bug me. It's like those people who are driving 5-10 under the limit, but as soon as you go to pass them (2 lane road, passing zone) they floor it to try and prevent you from doing so. It's noot much of an issue with my current car, but in my 98 Taurus? Man, was that car a slug on wheels.

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
oh man, what a self-righteous asshole. And to admit to it? Some people have no shame. I'd definitely have some choice words for him as well.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I received a ticket for 58 in a 55 on Christmas Eve. NEVER speed through Mosby, MO. It's the only revenue stream the city has.

I also got a ticket on Missouri 71 in southern Missouri one time for passing. Speed limit was 55 on a two lane highway. I pulled out in a passing zone after following some old lady for 10 miles driving 10 under. The oncoming vehicle was a MSHP trooper. He immediately turned around and pulled me over for 68 in a 55. After explaining the situation to him, he immediately explained to me the limit was 55, even while passing. I don't think he was too thrilled with my response when I told him if I'd kept it at 55, they'd be cleaning both of us off the road right now.

In other words, some of the information presented above is dead inaccurate in the state of Missouri.
Sponsored