Occupancy mode - base radio

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
I found this setting today, nothing in the manual about it. Trying to figure out what it does and which setting I like better. It's at the bottom of the bass,treble, etc settings menu. You can choose all seats, or driver's seat. When I selected driver's the soundstage moved up and center, instead of hearing my closest door speaker. I don't think it's doing fade/balance. I almost think it's some kind of time alignment, maybe EQ settings. Anyone know anything more about this?
Sponsored

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
I found this setting today, nothing in the manual about it. Trying to figure out what it does and which setting I like better. It's at the bottom of the bass,treble, etc settings menu. You can choose all seats, or driver's seat. When I selected driver's the soundstage moved up and center, instead of hearing my closest door speaker. I don't think it's doing fade/balance. I almost think it's some kind of time alignment, maybe EQ settings. Anyone know anything more about this?
Time alignment.

OP
OP

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
That's what I thought. That's what is sounds like. The soundstage jumps to center. It sounds like there is a center channel when there is not. Think I'll leave it like this for a while.

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Do you have the shaker with a sub? If you do .. Doesn't it have a center channel ?

Gdyup50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
It seemed to me that it made my radio less "loud" I guess...found I preferred the driver's setting, already have to turn it up half way to get alot of sound out of it

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
All seats meaning all speakers are at the same level. Of course because you are not sitting at the center, you will hear more left channel than right channel.
By setting it to driver, left channel level is reduced so you hear both channels at equal level.
And yes it is doing level. Time alignment is usually not a concern inside a car.

OP
OP

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
Yes it does make it seem quieter but I liked it after a while. And Time alignment, while not necessary, makes a huge difference. My last car was an Acura RL and it's stock radio really has me spoiled. Perfectly time aligned and EQ'd. I can get a 6 channel amp for now and get a DSP later.

And mines a base. No center channel.

Gdyup50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
what is time alignment?

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
what is time alignment?
Basically.. They measure from the drivers head the distance to each speaker.. Then in the processing they can delay channels based on distance so that all channels arrive at the same time.. They will use time alignment and phasing to make it seem as if the sound is directly in front of you..

For me .. I am amazed at what manufacturers are including today.. Used to they were so far behind the aftermarket.. And now the OEMs are setting a pace that is hard to keep up with.. And plus it is getting harder because of the level of integration.. That's why I did what I did and started learn what I can do to improve writhin the factory equipment.. That's why I focus on the ford programming and learning what the hex programming does.. Because it is getting harder to replace things ..

OP
OP

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm. just had a thought. Will be using the speaker level from the rear speakers for my sub, that means a summed output from both rear channels. Using the time alignment in the head unit means that the bass from each speaker will be slightly out of phase, may be so minor I don't notice. Might make the bass sound boosted or muddy, maybe not, but it means I won't get a clean bass waveform to the subwoofer amp which is mono. So it might be a bad thing. Can always turn it off. I wish someone made an affordable 5 channel amp with time delay built it. Right now going with a 5 channel amp with crossovers built in to keep ONE device between head unit and speakers. All speakers in the car will be tossed or sold and replaced with something better. So it will be interesting to see what the factory time alignment does to the bass. At least I can turn it off. I can always add a DSP later to the system, but one that does not just time alignment, but EQ as well. I will probably be happy without it. I don't want to spend $2K on the stereo right now. Just ordered my zenclosures box, have a Kicker 10" to use in it and deciding on amps and speakers and will see if I can do it myself or have a shop install.

Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
jTime alignment is usually not a concern inside a car.[/QUOTE said:
Wow.. I missed this.. But I don't know where you got this from.. But that's so far off I don't know how to even respond..

OP
OP

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
I would respectfully disagree with that statement...
Yeah, me too. From my last car, the Acura RL which had a factory system that was EQ'd and time aligned from the factory. I learned what a "front stage" and "imaging" really meant. I'm hoping the factory time alignment will work for me and not mess up the bass. I will report when I do it. If not, I can always add a DSP later.
Sponsored