Sponsored

No variable rate springs for me ever again.

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
I'll never again put a variable spring on my car. They ride wrong. Trying to do two things that just don't go together. 25% increase is fine modest increase and may not over power the stock damping rebound since Ford has increased the damping significantly. I put double on my 2010 and it didn't ride bad at all but the shocks were built for those spring rates and more so the damping was there to control the rebound of the weight after hitting a bump. Lowering a car for looks is fine if that is all you are after. Honestly I don't think the S550 needs it like the S197 having the roof 1.5" lower to start with makes it look a lot better. Spring rates and damping rates need to be considered together if your serious about handling. Ford did an amazing job with the PP.
Sponsored

Bryman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I think its low enough too but I wouldn't mind better handling without sacrificing ride quality. Wonder if a vendor will come out with a setup with higher performance and still decent ride at stock ride height? Would probably need shocks too as some have complained about under dampening.

OP
OP

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
Variable rate spring are a compromise at best. They attempt to give you a soft ride at the cost of good handling characteristics. The initial soft part can only be so long then the hard part has to be harder than it might otherwise be to keep you off the bump stops. A straight rate spring gives you a constant force one that builds gradually allowing the car to take set in a corner build g forces without any abrupt changes which can over load the tires and cause slides. You have heard it a million time smooth is fast variable rate springs are not smooth.

Also shocks have a difficult time dealing with them the initial soft spring induces the shock to use it's high speed damping circuit this can cause the shock to go stiff just when you are about to hit the higher rate part of the spring. If the spring and shock both get unnecessarily stiff at the same time all the loads are shifted to the tire which is then over loaded which causes a loss in traction. Again suspension action should be smooth. You can get a very good ride and good handling package just stay away from too good to be true because generally it isn't.

Bryman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So if I am reading into what you said correctly we need stiffer, constant rate springs, and heavier duty shocks along with bigger sways to get the best ride/handling compromise?

OP
OP

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
So if I am reading into what you said correctly we need stiffer, constant rate springs, and heavier duty shocks along with bigger sways to get the best ride/handling compromise?

Yes if you feel what you have isn't what you want. Springs and shocks go together. Sway bars are not always needed. Sway bars help balance out the spring and tire combination you're running. Too much understeer stiffen the rear bar too much oversteer weaken the rear bar or stiffen the front. Adusting sway bars, changing spring rates, altering ride height front or rear, are all tools of the suspension tuning.

Remember the number one thing that makes for faster lap times is tires. If you're setting up a car for track time just to have fun then it is all a game do whatever spend whatever you want. But if you are racing then the first thing is tires. Think about it what do almost every race serious have in common? Spec tires. To even out the competition the rule makers specify the tire and its size you can run. When tires were free the best tire almost always won.

Sponsored

Jimdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado and R32 GTR
I think companies make variable rate drop springs out of a compromise. Stiffer shorter replacement springs can dismount themselves from their intended position. Variable rate spring are made long enough not to "fall out" of place and still lower the car. Stiffer fix rate springs requires a helper/tender/assist spring to hold the spring in position and make sure suspension has correct droop. Most lowering spring consumers' don't want or need the added cost. People buying race coilovers need not worry, they're all fixed rate.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
I think companies make variable rate drop springs out of a compromise. Stiffer shorter replacement springs can dismount themselves from their intended position. Variable rate spring are made long enough not to "fall out" of place and still lower the car. Stiffer fix rate springs requires a helper/tender/assist spring to hold the spring in position and make sure suspension has correct droop. Most lowering spring consumers' don't want or need the added cost. People buying race coilovers need not worry, they're all fixed rate.
This is correct.

I am not sure if the OP is talking about a progressive rate, OR what I call a dual rate. To me, I think of Variable and Progressive as the same. A dual rate, would be like our S197 Springs - which have a soft initial rate that is compressed at ride height, then a linear working rate.

I agree - I prefer a linear rate spring any day VS a progressive rate.

Sometimes though, you need helper coils. For example, there is a certain spring out there for an S197 that is a linear design....and drops the S197 Mustang down almost 1.5" in the rear. Said spring, will fall out when suspension is at full droop...with the smack of your hand. Our same drop rear spring, will not, because it has 3.5 coils that stack - acting as helpers....or, you can think of it as a spacer on top of a linear spring....taking up space.

You will not notice a difference in ride with a dual rate spring VS a Linear. But, you will definitely notice a difference when comparing Linear or Dual Rate VS Progressive.

Our 15/S550 springs (prototypes at this point) are a Linear design.

Jimdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado and R32 GTR
yeah when I started putting lowering springs on my car, about 25yrs ago, I noticed them bouncing around on my shocks. Plus, shocks wore out quick from increased spring rate (about +30% & 5k miles). Tried aftermarket stock-style replacement adjustable shocks with adjustable perches. Wasn't impressed but they lasted much longer. Gave them to a friend and lasted 100k. Switched to full coilovers and same rattling problem. Switched to hardcore race coilovers with shorter travel to prevent spring dismounting. Unfortunately, my inside rear tire would lift off the ground during corner entry. I could never run a hard enough spring to keep it on the ground with S or R-compound tires. It would have required full race tires, which was outlawed in my classes of racing. Then about 15yrs ago, good coilovers started coming with helper springs to solve the problems. If I only wanted to drop the car 1-1.5". I'd just get relatively soft progressive springs (+10-20% over stock), something that wouldn't ruin my shocks, fit correctly and save effort. But I enjoy full race coilovers (with reasonable spring rates & matching valving for S & R-compound tires) and will get some on my future S550.
Sponsored