Sponsored

Nitrous Folks, Give Me Your Feedback.

6G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Engine wise, my car is completely stock. It's an auto with 3.55 gears. I've been thinking about running a nitrous plate system in the future. However, I've never used nitrous before. If I do decide to go this route, I will NOT spray more than a 150 shot (I'll most likely keep it at a 100 shot). So here are some questions for you guys..

1.) What is needed to run nitrous on a stock engine? (Other than a tune, colder plugs, purge system, bottle heater, bottle opener, and blow down kit)

2.) How will this effect the cats on a 100 shot?

3.) How do you guys have your kits programmed? When do they kick on?

4.) How has your experience been with nitrous on the coyote? Any weak links when spraying a 100-150 shot? How much do you guys pay for refills?

5.) Also, I would also use a PSN-1: PowerSafe Nitrous Bottle Pressure & Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge. Anyone here using that?

6.) How much money have you dumped into your system? Would you have gone with a supercharger instead?

The reason I'm leaning towards nitrous is because it's cheaper than a supercharger. You can turn it on/off easily. The entire kit is relatively easy to remove vs a supercharger.
There were some other nitrous threads but they seemed to be outdated or didn't have the information i was looking for. But I do apologize if I missed a thread similar to this.

I know this thread is all over the place but your responses would be much appreciated! :ford:
Sponsored

Last edited:

zemog255

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB 5.0
I'll be putting my nitrous outlet kit on mine soon I ran it on my 13 5.0 and other cars.

1. I would add a BAP with a 150 shot and either run e85/racegas/octane booster and a nitrous filter.

2. Not sure on that going to find out soon ive always ran a catless setup but I'm not messing with that for now.

3. A window switch is a good idea. I activate is a soon as I feel the car moving forward, roughly 2500rpms. Nitrous makes a ton of torque at its lowest rpm. You're spraying the same amount of nitrous at 3krpms as you are a 7krpms. So that's where the torque spike comes from. That's what usually breaks things from spraying that low. I ran 30 or so passes on a 150shot that way with no issues other than traction at times. You can probably wait alittle longer to spray with the 3:55 gears vs I have 3:15s.

4. I kind of answered that above but 30 passes at that track and 2 bottles on the street on a 150 shot. The biggest thing is leave your ego at home when spraying if something feels wrong just shut it off. I never stay in it if it feels like its really spinning. Just abort the run that's how most backfires happen. If it seems like a bad idea it probably is.. $4-5.50 per lb for nitrous is normal around here. You can get 4 solid 1/4 mile passes on a 150 shot. I recommend having a couple bottles atleast. It took 7-8 hard runs on the street to empty a bottle.

5. I haven't heard of that system. A good bottle pressure gauge is always a good idea. I thought all the s550s had AFR gauges on the dash? Either way most tuners tune by lambse so learn how to read that and how to read your spark plugs. Just do a search on that there is tons of information to learn on that subject.

6. No clue my last few cars have had a nitrous system on them so I keep a lot of the stuff. You can get a very good setup for under 2k excluding tuning.

My honest opinion is if you aren't planning on racing at the track or street. You will probably get bored of it. Its never going to be a quick, I feel like doing a pull and just push a button. It just doesn't work that way.

Reactions: 6G
OP
OP
6G

6G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I'll be putting my nitrous outlet kit on mine soon I ran it on my 13 5.0 and other cars.

1. I would add a BAP with a 150 shot and either run e85/racegas/octane booster and a nitrous filter.

2. Not sure on that going to find out soon ive always ran a catless setup but I'm not messing with that for now.

3. A window switch is a good idea. I activate is a soon as I feel the car moving forward, roughly 2500rpms. Nitrous makes a ton of torque at its lowest rpm. You're spraying the same amount of nitrous at 3krpms as you are a 7krpms. So that's where the torque spike comes from. That's what usually breaks things from spraying that low. I ran 30 or so passes on a 150shot that way with no issues other than traction at times. You can probably wait alittle longer to spray with the 3:55 gears vs I have 3:15s.

4. I kind of answered that above but 30 passes at that track and 2 bottles on the street on a 150 shot. The biggest thing is leave your ego at home when spraying if something feels wrong just shut it off. I never stay in it if it feels like its really spinning. Just abort the run that's how most backfires happen. If it seems like a bad idea it probably is.. $4-5.50 per lb for nitrous is normal around here. You can get 4 solid 1/4 mile passes on a 150 shot. I recommend having a couple bottles atleast. It took 7-8 hard runs on the street to empty a bottle.

5. I haven't heard of that system. A good bottle pressure gauge is always a good idea. I thought all the s550s had AFR gauges on the dash? Either way most tuners tune by lambse so learn how to read that and how to read your spark plugs. Just do a search on that there is tons of information to learn on that subject.

6. No clue my last few cars have had a nitrous system on them so I keep a lot of the stuff. You can get a very good setup for under 2k excluding tuning.

My honest opinion is if you aren't planning on racing at the track or street. You will probably get bored of it. Its never going to be a quick, I feel like doing a pull and just push a button. It just doesn't work that way.
I appreciate the info man!

The highest octane available in my area is 91. :(

Doesn't spraying that low in the rpm range cause severe stress to the engine?

The PSN-1 system just shuts off the bottle if the engine leans out too much. It's a nice fail safe to have.

I won't be using the system everyday. It'll mostly be for the track and mexico runs.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
100 shot should be fine, we have some great nitrous outlet packages

Feel free to give me a call and we can go over your combo

zemog255

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB 5.0
I appreciate the info man!

The highest octane available in my area is 91. :(

Doesn't spraying that low in the rpm range cause severe stress to the engine?

The PSN-1 system just shuts off the bottle if the engine leans out too much. It's a nice fail safe to have.

I won't be using the system everyday. It'll mostly be for the track and mexico runs.
I would find some torco or other octane booster when spraying. I used lucas octane boost all the parts stores here have it. Its supposedly good for up to 97 octane . I tried torco and ms109 also. None of them had any knock. So I just used lucas since it was cheapest think it was $10 a bottle. Its a easy safety thing for me.

Like I said above the lower the rpm the more torque you make that's all the stress that it is. Also a better chance of the engine bogging at the lower rpm and causing puddling in the intake and cause a backfire through the intake. You can always spray higher up in the rpm range. It just won't 60ft as well.

I would just buy a fuel pressure safety switch its cheap and easy.

Sponsored

MidnightGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I have a 100 shot on my '15 GT.

JMS Dry Kit with the JMS Progressive Nitrous Controller.
VMP custom tune.

In talking with both VMP and JMS guys, they both said that a BAP was necessary once you hit the 150 shot territory, anything lower and it's just an option but not a necessity.

I feel a nitrous heater is a necessity, I prefer one that doesn't operate off of a pressure gauge, because I would rather it just get to a safe temp and know the pressure than one that keeps heating until you get to your desired pressure, even if it's too hot.

My controller is set to kick on at 2,500 rpm and shut off at 6,800 rpm with a 7,200 shift (so you're not spraying if you bounce it off redline). Also, mine is set up to start spraying at 60% flow and ramp up to 100% nitrous flow over 1 second (to keep traction and breaking anything from being a problem)
I live in central Arkansas with a price of $8 lb!!!!

With this being said, I'm about to go turbo. Refills get expensive and I hate having an empty bottle when someone comes up wanting to play.

Snow_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have a nitrous express Plate kit setup for my 15 manual gt. Running a 150 shot on 93 and have a 200 shot tune for ms109. I have been running this set up for about 7 months and love it man. Dont have a bap or the window switch. I have the bottle warmer and purge kit from nitrous express and brisk rr14s plugs, bought all from lethal performance. Cant say enough good things about the kit and lethal it was here very quick and awesome price, bought on a one of their sales day. I got the car dyno tuned by Ken bjonnes at Palm Beach Dyno and Highly Highly recommend him! From tunning expertise aspect and from the customer service as well. Truly goes above and beyond. I did buy the 15lbs bottle because I ran nitrous before on my old stand and hated running out so quick with the 10lbs bottle. worst thing that can happen is running out of nitrous when a worthy opponent wants to play lol. I have a nitrous pressure gauge on the bottle just to make sure im at the ideal pressure for spraying. what I have is pretty much as basic as you would want to go running nitrous. I would say im running the essentials. You could add extra security like a window switch, bap, wideband gauge (separate than the in dash one) and Nitrous pressure Gauge ( Inside the car not on bottle) but in my opinion it adds to the cost and thats kind of the whole point of running nitrous instead of sc/tc option to keep the cost low. Filling the bottle varies on where you live, florida (where im originally from) fill the bottle for $60 for the 15lbs. South Carolina (where I am now for work) charges me $90 for the same bottle. Didnt take that into account when I got my kit. Like you I wanted to run nitrous for the budget and I want twins which are generally more expensive than superchargers. I love the nitrous but if I wanted to go the supercharger route I would not have gotten nitrous. Just my .02 cents.

Perspective: Nitrous kit just like the set up I mentioned above you will spend around $2000 with tune and everything. Thats if you install the thing yourself. If not I would say between $550-$700 for the install.

Its about half the price of a supercharger kit but you have to factor in how much you will spend on nitrous cause I HAVE TO TELL YOU its addicting!

Hope that helps.

zemog255

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB 5.0
I have a nitrous express Plate kit setup for my 15 manual gt. Running a 150 shot on 93 and have a 200 shot tune for ms109. I have been running this set up for about 7 months and love it man. Dont have a bap or the window switch.

Hope that helps.
You're spraying a 200 shot off the rail without a BAP ? I'm surprised you aren't seeing a lean spike at the hit. Any track times on the 200 shot?
Sponsored